Cat scan results

David A

HI everyone, Saw my oncologist today and got the results from the cat scan I had last week. The results are neither good nor bad. The mass in the plurea of my right lung has thickened some he couldn't tell me how much, the cat scan still showed a mass in my medistinum and a spot on my right side ribcage. After almost a year they have finally said that is probably wehy I have so much pain in my shoulder and numbness in my arm at times, I feel validated if that makes sense. I haven't been getting chemo or anything for overr two months so I feel very fortunate, also I'm choosing not to have any chemo at this time, hde told me I could start back up any time I wanted. Dr. seems to think a drug just recently approved by fda called Alimta may work well for me, he said the University of Michigan took part in trials to get it approved though for the cancer caused by asbestos.

Sorry bout the long post. Thanks to all who prayed and wished me well, I know it helps. David A

David,

A friend of mine knows someone who has had very good results with the drug Alitma. It seems to be working very well for those with mesothelioma.

I agree with Norme, why not start right away. Too long away from chemo just gives everything time to regenerate.

Of course only you know what's best for you! :)

Hope all of you Michiganders (???) have a blast!

TAnn

The reason why I'm not starting right away is that I've always had bad side effects from all chemos, and there are a few special things I want to enjoy this summer without the threat of being sick from chemo, not sure if it is justfiable

I'm sorry you are still having the pain David. It's good that the tumor hasn't changed much but it would be good if they could quantify that thickening so you could make a decision about the alimta. Keep us posted. You remain in my prayers.

Hi David,

Sometimes those so/so results are more troubling than the plain good news or plain bad news results. I hate the question marks of this disease. My husband feels just like you do about the chemo. I picked up his prescription for Iressa last night, but like you, he dreads starting it because he wanted to enjoy the summer. He's on vacation this week and already had to cancel his motorcycle trip because of the shoulder pain, so he at least wants to enjoy this week before having to worry about the big "D".

Enjoy these beautiful days.

God bless you,

Peggy

David, I understand about wanting to do something without feeling like crap all summer. If and when you decide to try the next step in your treatment, I hope it works well for you without all the side effects. The news is a little confusing to me but stable sounds good. Hope they can find something that helps that pain without making you "loopy". I don't want you to crash the very first time you get up on those skis. Hope you all have a great time at the party. Like I said before, take LOTS of pictures.

Nina

David,

You know I only want really, really good news from you. But just a little short of that, stable is my second favorite word.

I am always happy when Earl's doctor says 'his shelf is not empty'. There seems to be great hope when the dr. says he has yet another treatment.

Take care my friend, enjoy your summer with your family and friends.

David-

Stable always sounds acceptable to me. You have a plan you can opt for when you choose, and that does my heart good. Hope your summer is active and memorable. Love and hugs.

P.S. Those Pistons are doing well, so far. Rootin' for ya'!