One year...

Debi

Tonight is one year from my last cigarette and tomorrow is one year from my surgery....

Sometimes I tend to kick myself in the butt for not getting on with my life. But sitting here and looking back just 365 days ago, I am amazed at how far I have come....

Some days I actually forget to remember that I have cancer..gone for the most part are those nights that I couldn't sleep..or would go to sleep..and wake up every hour for no reason other than to remember that I had cancer...

My right side and under my breast is still somewhat numb and I still have some discomfort but wow, I couldn't even sleep on my right side for 4 months... now, I sleep on it every night...

My breathing is good, my body feels good, my mind is improving...

I owe this past year and my slow progress back into sanity to all of you, here on this board. Your posts, your advice, your humor, your stories have helped me to mend even when I thought I never would. Despite the all too frequent suffering, I have heard the bigger message on this board, the message that hope is larger than me and that all things are possible.

Thank you all for this gift you have given me....

Hard to know what to say on these anniversary dates...I mean it's not like you want to celebrate such a horrible day in your life, but surviving is certainly reason to rejoice. So congratulations!

Just out of curiosity, how do you know your mind is improving?? I mean its not like you'd know if you were losing it....

Glad you've made it through the first year, and lets meet back here next year.

Rochelle

Well congrats to you!!! And congrats are surely in order...for a few reasons

1. You Quit smoking!!!

2. Your on this board helping others, while going through your own stuff

3. Your surviving

Very good reasons to celebrate, even if it is a lousy reminder of how hard this road is... just look above to see the grey cloud with the silver lining

Again, congrats to you..you deserve it!

Jamie

Debi,

Congratulations on your "anniversaries". You are so right about the enormous value of this board. How else could we possibly connect with such a wonderful and knowledgeable group. I learn things here I would never find on my own.

Thanks to you all,

Dave S

Congragulations Debi. I am always glad to see good news like this. I had my surgery 1 year tomorrow also. I quit smoking when I was dx in 3/03. Many times, a lot lately, I have wanted just 1 cigarette. I know if I do I won't stop at 1.

Look forward to your post and chat. Let's work on making it 2 years.

Now :):):) .

Some days I actually forget to remember that I have cancer..

All by itself, this is worthy of celebration! Congrats to you Debi...on all of your accomplishments! :)

I think it's hard sometimes NOT to keep letting that "c" thought track through our heads...when in fact, there is SO much more to our lives than simply cancer.

You give me a lot of hope for the time when I sleep thru the night without interruption and if I DO wake, that one of my first thoughts is NOT cancer. :roll:

Here's to many, many more years of feeling even better than you do today, with lots more to celebrate!! 8)

Ry...

Just out of curiosity, how do you know your mind is improving?? I mean its not like you'd know if you were losing it....
This just cracked me up! :D The thing is....even if WE didn't know we were losing our mind....most of us know somebody who'd take great pleasure in telling us we were.....right? :roll:

Debi,

Big congratulations on a first year anniversary!

You've accomplished a lot in the past year and I am happy to know you.

Seems we started on this long walk together without even knowing it, but I will be one year out from surgery on Sunday, and will be sure to post and remind everyone....hope you keep feeling good and forgetting the terror of it all, but remain grateful for your many blessings.....

Cindy

WAY TO GO DEBI!!!!!!!!!!I am super glad you are feeling good.I am also loking forward to your friendship for many,many more years to come.This week also marks 1 year from my surgery too.You and Bruce & I all had surgery in the same week.

Also good job on the cigarettes,Quitting them will keep you around & on the board a long,long time.

Congratulations on quitting smoking. I know first hand how hard that is. Quitting smoking was the hardest thing for me to do. Cancer is the hardest thing I have had to deal with. Both require the greatest mental work. So where is the part were you did not get on with your life. I think you have done a great deal of living the last 365 days.

The mind and body work together to improve each other. If you saw me you would see why I am nuts.

I would not announce anniversaries. I hear people who do end up with farm animals on their door step.

Enjoy this day.

John

Debi, Congratulations, we on the board are so fortunate that you are a member, your sense of humor, thoughtfulness and no just what to say are incomparable. Can't wait to meet you in July! We are going to make you and honorable Flintoid and Michigander. Your Bro, David A

Debi,

Congratulations!!

I DO know what you mean about your mind. I felt like I had been dropped on my head when I was under anesthesia or something, short term memory wasn't too good..... and yes, it does get better!!!

Happy Anniversary!! and many many more.....

XOXOXOXOXOX

MaryAnn

Enjoy the day!

Thank you so much for all your posts..they all mean so much to me.... I am only still here on this board because of all of you..

Yesterday was a good day... at work my "team" surprised me with a cake, balloons, flowers, candy and a stuffed animal! We all had the cake in the lunchroom and celebrated my 1st year of being a survivor together..screw work :wink: . It made the anniversary of my surgery (well, I call it my rebirthday but I'm not sure the term will catch on :shock::lol:) even more special....

Congratulations to my co-celebrators on here....

Hi Debi

Congratulations on your one year anniversary.

You mentioned sleeping on your right side ------ first time I discovered I slept on my right side (about 2 weeks ago) since surgery(a year next month) I didn't know it as I fell asleep on my left side. I woke up to make a potty trip and started to climb over my husband and that's when I realized I had been sleeping on my right side. :shock::D

I like the term "rebirthday". In a way we are reborn - given a second chance at life.

Happy ReBirthday to you!!!

EileenM