Howdeeee!

SDianneB

That big Tennessee "Howdeeee," reminiscent of the dear lady, Ms. Sarah Cannon, aka Minnie Pearl. The local cancer center where I'm receiving treatment bears her name, and I'm thankful daily to have it nearby.

My name is Dianne. I was diagnosed the first week of June, 2004, with small cell lung cancer/right side, near the end of my windpipe. Of course, I was devastated, but soon after hearing the news, I decided to commit myself to treatment, and that's what I've done every minute since then. I was very fortunate to have a great doctor while hospitalized and awaiting the diagnosis -- a Pulmonologist who dug through my symptoms and clinical signs to find the tumor, and who then got me into the right hands for treatment.

Personality wise, I'm not crazy about the Oncologist, but I do know him to be extremely competent and skilled, so I rely on the other docs for the mental/emotional boost, and the Oncologist for his skills. I began chemotherapy on the last day I was hospitalized, June 4th, and today will complete round 3. (Carboplatin/Etoposide) I began radiation treatments last week, and they will continue through about the first week of Sept. Round 4 of the chemo will begin Aug. 6th. More than likely, I will have the prophylactic brain radiation therapy afterward, as the Radiation Oncologist tells me they learned from children with leukemia that cancer cells sometimes "hide out" in the brain and come back into the body later to wreak havoc.

So far, I've not lost my hair, and I FEEL GOOD, dadgummit! I am a blessed person. I see people when I go for appointments and therapy who are way worse off than I, and see the faces of children fighting a battle they shouldn't have to fight, and I silently thank God for giving me such strength. Bottom line is that I will do all I can to keep going, and to get up every morning and put one foot in front of the other, and to keep going to work. My job on this earth is easy -- just follow the treatment plan. I don't fear death, but I'm by golly not going to surrender to it easily! I wear my lapel button every day that says, "Cancer Sucks." Doesn't it though? Geez.

I have good support from family and friends, have all the ducks in a row as far as "what if," (living will, hospice plan, etc.) but am on track to go after this cancer with a vengeance for as long as I can.

Physically, after 2 rounds of chemo and before I began radiation, the 2nd CT/PET scan showed dramatic shrinkage of the original tumor, and almost complete dissolution of the other areas in my chest that were involved. At that time, they staged me at limited SCLC. The Radiation Oncologist told me that such good results at that stage increased my chances significantly. It also helps, they believe, that I'm in such good shape otherwise -- no heart disease, no diabetes, or other physical conditions that I have to battle at the same time. This good news renewed my motivation tenfold to keep at this fight.

So, here we go. It helps so much to read the words of the other people here, and to hear their stories and about their battles. Thank you all SO much for being here.

Dianne

Dianne,

Come on in and sit a spell!

I like the sound of your determination, taking everything in stride, working through the "what ifs" so you don't have to worry about them, and sticking to whatever is needed to get through/around/over this little critter.

There are many, many strong people on this board. Realize that at times, you WILL be hit with the Big Bad Doubt, but with a little help and a flashlight (monsters come out after dark, if you weren't aware of that, when you're all alone and feeling small). We'll be here to help you through those times and to celebrate your victories.

Glad to have you along on the trip, sorry for the circumstances.

Welcome to the family,

Becky

Dianne,

Welcome to the board. I usually tell "new" people to keep their heads up and stay stong and whatnot, but I dont have to tell you that! You have an awesome additude that will help you so much on this bumpy ride! Im sure you will bring a TON of encouragement to everyone on this board, and I hope we can help you out too. Welcome again...

Jamie

Hello Dianne,

Welcome, welcome, welcome!

You have the grit, woman. I admire your singlemindedness. You remind me of myself in your teamwork approach to fighting the beast.

I had cisplatin (a different platinum chemo) and vp16(etoposide), radiation concurrent with the first two treatments, and also had dramatic shrinkage of the tumor. I had surgery, and then two more rounds of chemo. I had a pancoast tumor, a different kind of tumor, considered nsclc. The surgeon removed the tumor to find it was dead.

I wish you luck and good fortune with the WBR. I'm sure you'll make out well, you have a great attitude.

If you don't mind, how old are you? You sound very healthy and strong, and I was told at the time of my diagnosis -- I was 43 -- that being "young" was a major advantage.

Glad to have you on board,

XOXOXOXOX

Prayers, always

MaryAnn

MaryAnn asks: "If you don't mind, how old are you? You sound very healthy and strong, and I was told at the time of my diagnosis -- I was 43 -- that being "young" was a major advantage."

I'm 51 -- will be 52 next January. The Pulmonologist told me that I'd see people younger and older than myself once I started treatment, and he was right. I had several pity parties at first, thinking I was "too young" for this (koff koff), then realized there are so many who are much younger than I am, not to mention the children battling cancer.

Whatever advantage I have, I'll take it, and run with it! I talk to the radiation machine daily, reminding it of its job -- to SEARCH & DESTROY!!!

Thanks for the warm welcome -- from all of you.

Dianne

Dianne, welcome to the forum! Glad you are here. You have a great attitude and that will get you far. When you start radiation, be aware that having chemo and radiation together will tire you and also tend to dehydrate you. So plenty of liquids are in order, and you might ask the onc about getting a saline IV once a week during double treatment. My wife, Lucie, got dehydrated a few times because it was hard to get down enough liquids when you are double treated.

Yep, we agree. The onc is the engineer, the technical person. Lucie goes to her GP for personal TLC and comfort. The onc is very supportive, but doesn't have the touch that the GP does. And the GP told her she could come in anytime she needed.

Best to you. Keep us posted. Don

From one Tennessean to another Tennessean....Howdeeee." I wish I could count the times I heard Cuzin Minnie say those words.

Just wanted to welcome you here. You have come to the right place to find answers. We will laugh with you or cry with you which ever you prefer. Look forward to reading your post. Remember to :) every chance you get.

Welcome you certainly have come to the right place. Everyone here is so helpful and friendly. I can't tell you what a relief it was to finally come to a place and get answers to questions we have with hubby condition. Questions from chemo to radiation and any just in general questions. Please drop in every now and then and let us know how you are doing.

Welcome Dianne,

You have just joined an extrodinary family. There is so much support giving and taking and an abundance of love and understanding. You sound like a very balanced person and that will help you a lot through this roller coaster ride. I am looking forward to getting to know you. You found the greatest place on the net for lc support. I'm also sorry you had to find us but glad you did.

God Bless You,

Jane

welcome aboard. Sometimes the ride is fast and frightening and others it is slow and smooth/ Always know that no matter what you are not alone. There are a lot of people here to share the ride with. I hope you never lose that attitude. It is a valuable weapon.

By the way you live in a place very dear to my heart. To me that is the core of the music I love so much. Bless you and keep you well and strong. Lillian

Dianne, welcome. You are already a bright light shinning in this battle. Your determination is contagious, hope I catch a big dose of it. Sorry you had to find us but believe me, you found a good place to be in this battle. Plenty of warriors here.

Dianne,

Bruce stole my reply :cry: --Oh well. :roll:

From one Tennessean to another, welcome, GO VOLS and GO TITANS! :D

Keep the positive attitude and don't over do it! Get plenty of rest, drink lots of water, and eat when you aren't hungry. Take care and God Bless!

Dianne,

From another southerner...welcome. You have a great attitude, as everyone else has said, so you should do well. That is half the battle. It took me several months to find this place but I have never wanted to find another. We are like family here and support and care a great deal for each other. I had the same chemo but not with radiation. My radiation was after chemo. Take care of yourself and do rest and drink plenty of liquids. Keep talking to that machine.

Nina

Hi Dianne and WELCOME. I just loved reading your post. You sound like a real fun, upbeat person. I think that goes a long way in helping to fight off this incredibly horrible disease. I think you'll really like it here. I don't think there's anything like it anywhere. I pray that you will grow to love and appreciate the people on here as much as I do. Please keep us posted on your progress.

God bless you,

Peggy