My sisters 3rd surgery is 8/31/04

shelliemacs

Ok, so we went back to the surgeon today. My sister Katie is now scheduled for her third surgery on this coming Tuesday. They are going to try again to get all the DCIS "ductal carcinoma in situ" out of her breast.

I asked the surgeon why is he putting her through a 3rd surgery instead of just doing a mastectomy and putting an end in her furture of her cancer hell. He explained that he really wants to feel that A- he has done everything he could first before removing her breast and B- because she is so young doing a radical mastectomy should be the last resort. He said some other stuff too but I have been living on Xanax and chasing them with smirnoff just to sleep at night lately from the stress. ( i know very stupid but thats what I am reduced to now)

so he said this time he would take more wider area of tissue and maybe even some chest wall muscle to try to get all the cells out of there. Then she will do chemo (6 rounds) and 33 radiation treatments as soon as she heals.

I hate cancer and I hate worrying and I hate that I am having to watch her go through this. so all in all I am feeling useless, helpless and pissed off.

maybe a prayer sent her way next tuesday could sway whomever may be listening up there for her ok...??

Prayers are being sent to your sister and I feel the same way about cancer I HATE IT it is the beast of all beasts and I have been pretty P*SSED of since we found out it has gone to hubbies spine. God Bless you and your sister and so sorry you are going through this a third time.. Charolette

Shelly,

You are right, this disease is the absolute worse no matter where it decides to attack.

It sounds to me like your sister's doc is a caring guy and trying to do right for your sister.

And, BTW sweetie, your sister needs you a lot. Keep the xanax, think about the other. I'm a little bit where you are and I know just how tough this is. My mascara hasns't been touched in a long time.

Love,

You know that you and your sister are both in my prayers. Is there anything that I can do? If so, please call me. Maybe you can take your xanax, call me and I can talk you to sleep. You know what a talker I am. :roll: (then you don't have to touch the Smirnoff :wink: , o.k.??) I hope and pray that things get better soon.

In my thoughts and prayers~~~

Angie

P.S. Say a prayer for me on the 31st also. That's the day that Dad goes back to the onc. He has been having some pretty bad shoulder pain. We will get a scan to find out if it is another met. If it is, I'm sure that we are in for some radiation. (since he is having such pain)

Prayers and strength headed Katie's and your way, Shelly. Sounds like Katie's doctor is being careful yet prudent about anything too radical, due to her age. A balancing act....for sure...but he sounds caring and trustworthy.

Let's hope this takes care of things for Katie....and meanwhile, you be careful mixing your "sleep remedies".....eh? That's the "mom" in me talkin'.....and trust me...you don't want to get me started! :wink::roll: My kids will tell you that when something worries me....I'm like a dog with a bone nagging at them! You don't want me nagging at you, do you Shel? :wink:

Shellie, stay strong for Katie, OK? I'm very fond of you both.

She will be OK. My mom had breast cancer six years ago and they had to "redo" her lumptectomy, too. It's OK, they're just trying to be on the safe side. My mom probably didn't HAVE to have the redo but they wanted to be sure. I think Katie's surgeon is really looking out for her.

Hang tough. You should have never told us about the xanax chaser. now we're all going to worry about you.

My sleep remedy: one benadryl. take it about an hour before you go to bed. if it's not enough, take 1 mg of melatonin (found with the vitamins and herbs in the drugstore).

Hang tough, kiddo.

Karen C.

Shelly,

I have to agree with Ginny that your sister's Doc seems very caring. I'm just not so sure I personally would want to go through so many surgeries. Reconstruction is such a good option these days after masectomy. I pray that the 3rd time is a charm! Positive energy coming for you & your sister.

Rachel

Shelly,

Prayers for your sister's surgery,

and please dear God don't let anything happen to Shelly if she gets to feeling too rash and reckless. :cry::cry:

Help her sleep.

I did valerian root capsules and antihistamines to help the antianxiety over the edge. I actually advised the wife of the Director of National Institute of Mental Health to take Valerian root to help her sleep. Her comment about the press if it got out was pretty funny. Working for her was not.

Take care...

XOXOXOXOX

MaryAnn

Shellie, prayers to you and your sister on their way. Please take care with those sleep "meds", taking tranquilisers with Smirnof is asking for trouble or, so I have read. We don't want you in trouble too, your sister needs you to stay around! Paddy

dear shellie,

prayers headed your way for katie. and even though you may feel "useless" you are definitely a strong support for you sister. she is very, very lucky to have you, and she most definitely needs you. and i agree with the others. your sister's doctor seems to really care about your sister's well-being. please take care, and remember that our prayers are with you.

God bless,

mj

Adding my prayers to those of the others plus excellent vibes for a great outcome. The doctor sounds as if he's really doing his best for Katie and has her best in mind.

Len's been taking xanax an hour or so before he goes to sleep, then tylenol pm (generic version thereof) just before the lights goes off. Works like a dream -- and he's High Anxiety Itself.

Take care of yourself -- your sister needs you!

Ellen