Cant catch a break!!!!

RAY A

I can’t catch a break!!!!!!

Today when I got home from work I got a call from the nurse of the surgeon. She said that my EKG that they ran came up abnormal and I may have had a heart attack not to long ago. (never had any chest pains!!!) and I may have to go for a stress test. I told her I had a catherasation 2 years ago and I passed with flying colors (98% clear). I also explained that the cardiologist explained that when you have a lung removed, organs, such as the heart move around. Also that I am about 40lb heveyer than I was two years ago due to the decadron. She seems not to know much of my history just what she was reading from the report of the EKG. Bottom line is she’s going to check with the cardiologists and get back to me tomorrow. So I’m looking at different scenarios. 1. Everything is ok and surgery is Fri. 2. They want more testing and surgery is next Fri. 3. Things aren’t ok and surgery is out and I have a heart problem. I am so upset right now. I was starting to feel good about this surgery and get this thing out of me. grrrrrrrrrrrr

Ray, you know your own body much much better than this nurse. I think you're OK.

Keep us posted, but I think she's going by the book without reading all the history, and she's not a doctor either.

Dave's oncologist's nurse looked at the written report on his brain MRI and declaed him with two brain tumors, which caused a flurry of unnecessary excitement for the better part of a week and also put him on decadron unnecessarily. she ain't a doc and she didn't read it write.

keep us posted because I want to hear that you are right.

and yep, what a pain.

God Bless,

Karen

Ray,

Keep your head up! When my dad was originally scheduled for surgery, they did a whole battery of tests, and with each one, someone said, well if you dont pass this...surgery is out. He freaked out each and every time. Everything turned out ok and he got that b*st*rd out of him just fine... Im sure you will too. Keep us posted, and best wishes!

Jamie

Roy, so sorry this has added to your problems. I pray that there is nothing wrong and the surgery can proceed.

Just for your info and others, heart attacks don't always manifest themselves in typical ways. My nephew's wife had back pains, no chest pains. I had no chest pains, only pain in my left arm. When they first tested me at the hospital, EKG and blood work were normal. 24 hours later, the enzymes showed up in the blood that indicated heart attack. For me, it was so mild, I had no heart damage. My cardio arteries were blocked, though, and I had to have bypass surgery. That was almost seven years ago. I pray that you have none of this, Ray. Don

Hello, Ray,

Sure wish I could reach across the continent and find a way to brush away the additional stress you've been put under by this. I "feel your pain", my friend.

I'm keeping all movable body parts crossed that this turns out to be a temptest in a teapot, and that surgery is a go for you and you have nothing but good results and fast healing.

Hi Ray,

Hoping everything stays the course and your surgery goes as planned.

I think it's a crime when someone (be it nurse, doctor, whatever) can scare the cr*p out of you without even knowing your past medical history.

Was she reading the cardiologist's report, or just making her own diagnosis? (as a former nurse, I would NEVER DREAM of doing that to someone...plus, it's illegal....nurses can't "diagnose", even though in real life we sometimes make better & faster diagnoses than the doctors :) ).

As a side note....years ago, my mom was feeling really lousy and was literally green, she had no energy and was aching all over. We took her to the ER, and they did a battery of tests, including an EKG. Well, after a bit, one of the docs came out and told us that the EKG showed she had had a major heart attack and had likely suffered severe heart damage. While we were still reeling from that diagnosis...another doc (a cardiologist) told us she definitely DID NOT have a heart attack...she had a bacterial infection in the sac around her heart. After treatment with IV antibiotics, she was as good as new....with NO residual heart damage.

Just goes to show ya!!!

You're in my thoughts.....hoping all turns out well.

Mary :)

Ray,

I vote for option 1 or 2....having a clean cath just 2 years ago should count for something. I have heard, however, that sometimes a heart attack is not from blockage as we normally view it, but from spasms in the vessels. But hey, I am NOT a doc and feel like you probably know more about your own body than a nurse. The best of luck....I have you on my "list".

Nina

Hey again Ray.

You know what they say about when it rains, huh? Well for you right now, IT'S POURING like crazy! You've already proven to yourself and to everyone on this website that you're one tough cookie Ray. You can still do this. I don't think it will do anyone any good to get too upset -- you have to take this in stride like you have since the begining of this lousy journey. We're all counting on you Ray. I wish I could be there with you brother. Take care.

David

Ray,

The morning Earl was scheduled for his lobectomy, the hospital cardiologist came in and told him his EKG had indicated a prior heart attack and that surgery would be maybe too risky.

Long story short, he had not had a heart attack, surgery went well and he was dismissed by a follow up cariologist we went to to check everything out.

Also, praying for door #1.

Hopefully it's nothing.

Just as an aside, my mother had several EKGs and stress tests, but it took an echocardiogram to show what her problem really was. But Ray, she was having serious short-of-breath symptoms along with other problems, so don't borrow trouble from this. I only want to point out that in case of questions, the echocardiogram (which my mom says is an "Easy" test) shows specific information about how the heart is functioning.

(((((((Ray))))))) I pray you get your surgery as scheduled. As for the heart attack thing,,,, I went in for a total hysterectomy at 32yrs old, and when they did the EKG, the cardiologist said I had a heart attack. I was being treated for high blood pressure, but hadnt had any chest pains or anything. They did the surgery, and all was fine. Only thing is each time I have an EKG, it shows this heart attack. The cardiologist said this will show up forever in my EKGS, so just let any new doc know this ahead of time. I pray all goes well with your surgery and recovery. I think your docs are just being cautious, so you can have the very best outcome.

Peace,,,,Annjael

Ray,

What a drag! I know that any abnormal thing can cause us to get very upset, but this is not a cardiologist looking at the EKG, and based on all the other false alarms people have reported to you, please try not to get all fired up until you know something for sure......good luck, I'll be pulling for you.

Cindy

Dear Brother Ray,

Well, after giving this some serious thought, let's just hope and pray you follow in my footsteps.

Remember, I had my lung removed July 1995, then last year they found that Myxoma Tumor in the left Atrium of my heart. It was the size of a golfball. Now, that doesn't sound all that bad, but the part I want you to remember is, On Aug 21 2003 I went in to have the GOLFBALL removed. It was a NO GO, due to bleeding and they had to shut me up. :) That is and was a good thing! On Nov 4, 2003 I went back and had the SAME surgery done over and this time they GOT THE BUGGER! Moral of the Story is: I'M STILL HERE!!! Sweet Brother Friend of mine, if I can do this, I'm going to PRAY so can YOU!!!! God is watching over us and I like to think he wasn't ready for me just yet, and I'm going to go out on a limb and say, he's NOT ready for you just yet either. BUT, I feel your fear my friend! And I DO understand!

((((((((((((((BROTHER RAY)))))))))))))))))). I'm praying all will work out the way God meant it too and that God is hearing our prayers for you.

Love, Support, and Hugs,

Connie B.