3/28 PET Scan Results

Bill

( fyi : my wife started Tarceva 150mg. daily on 3/3 )

PET LUNG CA RESTAGING

FINDINGS : There is normal physiologic activity seen in the portions of brain visualized, mucosa of the head and neck, heart, liver, urinary and gastrointestinal tracts.

There is a focus of moderately intense hypermetabolic activity in the left upper lobe of the lung. This measures approximately 1.4 cm. and demonstrates standard uptake value of 2.4, borderline for malignancy. This could represent partial response to therapy. ( Note : primary tumor was measured at 2.6 cm. per 1/20/05 CT scan ).

There is no evidence of other hypermetabolic foci in the lungs, but they may be too small to visualize. Interestingly, there is no abnormal activity seen in the lumbar spine, again perhaps reflecting effective chemotherapy.

IMPRESSION : Solitary focus in the left upper lobe, probably partially treated malignancy. No other evidence of malignancy.

OMG!!! Bill, I have goose bumps up and down both arms! This is absolutely, incredibly, completely and thoroughly FANTASTIC!

I know you saw my recent post about my husband, and I so much appreciate hearing this great news. It is very encouraging and I hope we get the same response to Tarceva. He started taking it today.

I hope you and your wife are going to celebrate BIG TIME!!

Love,

Peggy

P.S. : Believe me, I'm not complaining but ... I view my wife's situation as yet another example of just how twisted this disease is. It's a ravaging, seemingly unstoppable killer disease yet one little ole drug comes along and snuffs it out likes it's a minor infection with little or no residue even left on the scene. Take Tarceva ( and Iressa ) for example. If you think about it, the MOA would suggest that the drug's strength is in halting progression, not so much eradicating existing disease. Yet, you can see what happens in these cases like my wife's and Fay A's. These treating physicians are at a loss for words. My wife saw her PCP a couple of days ago. After he examined her, including listening to her lungs, he just sat there staring into space, speechless and used the " M " word. He expected her to be back in the hospital ( or worse ) by now. And, don't forget about that hospitalist that wanted to pull the plug on my wife. Even my wife's med onc is upside down on this one. Hopefully, the rest of you taking this class of drugs will have equally impressive results. Yesterday, I mentioned to a couple of you that my wife's med onc group is watching her progress closely. I think that she has become their Tarceva guinea pig. Office staff that have never even spoken to us before are approaching us with seemingly full knowledge of her condition, recent hospitalization and the Tarceva. This is a very spooky disease where the unknowns far outweigh the knowns.

Good luck to all.

Bill

:D:D:D

What wonderful news to read. I just woke up and thought I'd log on and check in before I head off to work. Thank you for making my day start so beautifully. :) I am so happy for you. And yes, miracles obviously can and do happen. I am doubly thrilled because we are hoping that Mum may be starting Iressa next week (depending on scan results). I truly hope that your wife continues to have success with Tarceva and that this has given hope and inspiration to all the others who are using this sort of treatment. Have a happy, happy day.

Jana

xxx

Okay Bill, wonderful news about your wife. You guys must be feeling on top of the world right now. Enjoy it, and pray the good news keeps comming.

Yesssssssssssssssssss !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

Maryanne

This is wonderful news!!!!! I pray everything continues to go great!! :D Karen I totally agree with you on your comment about small cell, but I think the researchers think that non-small cell hads the greater chance for cure since it progresses much slower. RATS!!!!! I too wondered the same thing with my mom. Maybe one of these days, huh!?