Report on Karen and David C's lovely week.

Remembering Dave

Ok,Ok.....Good news and bad news here at "C"acres. Yes, last week was very rough on all involved here, emotionally and maybe even causing a little physical turn for the worse on my part culminating with a lovely Friday night date with Karen to our local ER. Don’t worry, there was no target practice taken at anything except that dern tree stuck in the river and the Kitty (JUST KIDDING). We pretty much had a good old-fashioned clearing of the air with everybody involved, long overdue. I think it did clear the air and brought everybody back onto the same page with the same objectives and goals. Yes, some feelings did get hurt among the masses at the table but communication around here has dramatically improved. Now all you guys out there, here are some tips on how to show your lady a good time on a Friday night. Now this takes some planning and some good old bad luck. All joking aside this is what happened. I had been feeling run down all week progressively getting weaker and more tired and started getting all over body pain. I did have an appt. at my Onc.s office on Wed. and met with the N.P. who is also very good. I was supposed to get Chemo but I decided to skip it so I could build up some energy for our trip to Myrtle Beach. We went over all my medications and dosages, and adjusted a few and got a few new ones (oh joy) . Thursday and Friday I started feeling worse and worse. I laid down on Friday at 2:30 and slept to about 7:00 when Karen got home. Now, when I laid down I was sweatting my A$$ of so I turned on the A/C. When Karen got home I so cold I was shivering she said ( the outside temp was only 50 degrees). I had a little bit of phlegm but I could not get a deep enough breath to cough it out. When I would try and get a good deep breath I would get excruciating pain in my left shoulder blade and in my chest. We took my temp. and it came in at 101.8!!!! Now listen close guys, here is my advice on showing your sweetie a good time. Go to the Emergency room. They have great vending machines and it is a nice quite place to hang out and talk and try and guess how sick all the other people there are. Actually we only had to wait about 30 minutes before we got called back. The Nurse was fabulous and we liked the Doc we had. I had a chest x-ray and then they sent me back for a CT scan due to they saw something on the scan they said could be pneumonia or might be a blood clot. Turned out it was pneumonia. Only time in my life I was thankful to have Pneumonia. They gave me two different super kinds of antibiotics through the huge bag of IV of fluids they were giving me. Karen and I had another lovely date at the ER lasting from approx. 7:30 pm until they cut me loose at 4:00 am.I have orders to get in touch with my Onc. on Monday to see about maybe getting a blood transfusio due to my counts. We did not even have to go to the after-hours clubs to keep getting those fluids. I woke Saturday and felt 1,000 % better ( the day we were supposed to leave for Myrtle Beach) . Today we went to Williamsburg and met up with all of Karen’s family for Mommy's Day at one of the best seafood restaurants I have ever been to. I loooooooooove seafood and know a good shrump when I see it! I would say am doing better. I felt better physically than Saturday but was a little less OK mentally. Karen and I snapped at each other a little. Please keep us all in your thoughts and prayers. I know I hardly ever post butt this Topotecan, my current chemo cocktail of choice is kicking my big old flat fanny. I do get on every day and read all of your triumphs and sorrow’s. You are all in my prayers everyday.

David C

David,

I love your attitude, hey if it's date night and the er is on the agenda.....off we go. Your little "spat's" are just part of the territory - geez we need to find something to talk about other than the cancer RIGHT? :lol:

Good to hear that the antibiotics you got are making you feel better already.

Take care,

Wendy

:D Hello-my husband spent part of tues in the ER and then was admitted and is still in the hospital. So tell Karen I know what those dates are like!!! I think you guys(men) can be alittle stubborn??? :D:D

But like you, my husband is getting better and feeling better. We do love our men don't we!! Take care of yourself!!!!! god bless, Nancy C

p.s. I love your attitude and writing!!

David,

I am glad to see you posting, its about time you stopped using that old cancer/chemo/pneumonia excuse and finally got on and typed something. :wink:8)

Sounds like you had a hectic weekend, starting with your Friday night out on the town :shock: . Now you need to try to take a few days and actually rest so that you can kick that pneumonia.

Anyway good to hear that things are doing better, and my wishes that you feel 2000% better by the time the week is over...

Glad to see you posting too. I've spent my share of time in ER's with my Dad and two of my kids who've had serious illnesses. I think if you try a little harder, you could find a better place to have a date with Karen. (Perhaps the ones in your neck of the woods beat those in B.C. though) Also glad that you got the air cleared with the relatives and it's so important that everyone is on the same page. Now get yourself well enough so you can enjoy that postponed holiday.

Seding my prayers to all the Chapmans.

Gail p-m

Hi Dave,

Isn't it good that they found what was dragging you down and gave you that 'fix in a bag'. Bet it was good to get out to dinner and feast on that wonderful seafood. Glad to hear the Chapman clan has figured out how to move forward. We care so much for you all.

Hi Dave,

Great to see you posting! It's about time! Hey guy, camping season is nearing and you must get that touchie in gear so that you can burn some dogs and drink a couple a beers.

Glad you got that pneumonia caught early. The date had to have been worth it.

Take care of all.

Love, Cindi

Dave,

It is really good to see a post from you. I'm so glad that you are feeling better. It sounds like you have been coaching my husband on "the perfect date"...you'll have to quit doing that!

Looking forward to many more posts as you begin to feel better and better.

Friday night in ER, eh? At least Ron was kind enough to hold off until 3:00 am. I had been out for the evening indulging and thought at that time of the night that Ron just wasn't breathing right or able to sleep properly.

So off we go. I'm apologizing to the nurses and the ER doctor because I think it must be apparent that I'd had one too many. My only saving grace is that I had consumed the alcohol at a fundraiser for the neonatal unit at our regional hospital. The nurses were actually great.

So other than this past Friday we've spent several in a row at the hospital. You guys just want to ruin our weekends.

I really enjoyed your story even though you weren't enjoying what was happening at the time.

Friday past Ron enjoyed a warm bath with applications of "Goo Gone" to remove the adhesive from his body. He looked like he'd been attacked. Getting in and out of the bathtub was a feat in itself. I used a little spa treatment - the hot towel wrapped around his face and the hand massage he loved. We finished the treat night with me sitting beside him on the bed , he with a glass of boost (ensure) and we with a cold glass of Coli Albani. There are some rewards for the caregiver too.

Glad things are looking better.

Janet

Hi Dave, was glad to see a post from you. I was beginning to think you were a figment of my imagination. Thought maybe Karen was keeping you locked up under lock and key. :D

Seriously though, I am so glad you improved so much that you were able to go to Myrtle Beach and see some family. That dinner sounded great also.

Hope you keep posting, and pray you continue to get better.

Maryanne

HOORAY HOORAY, your back on the Board and feeling much better!!! HOORAY!!!! :lol::):D

Well my dear, you have been missed here! (as you can see)! Bet you didn't think we missed you?! :P

I really am very pleased to hear your on the mend and it was only pneumonia! One of my Support Group members would say when he would get stuff like, (pneumonia, ulcers, crushed disk in his back) he would always say, "At least it's not cancer"! And with that, he would always smile! I'm sure you were saying pretty much the same thing?!

I'm glad the entire family had a good weekend. I will continue to pray for many many more.

Love & Hugs to you All,

Connie