Andrea how is your Mommy? (home update)

Calintay

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone,

Still no answers. Her chest xray showed no improvement today. They expect her to be in ICU for a long time.

My mom is on a bypap machine which is a huge oxygen mask. They were inches away from putting her on a ventilator today and tapping her lungs, but they gave her massive amounts of a drug called lasix which is a diuretic, inserted a catheter and basically she urinated out a lot of the fluid which helped her breathing numbers just enough to prevent a ventilator.

The doctors are great. I decided to have them call her oncologist to update him and to our pleasant surprise, he is now overseeing everything and consulting with the ICU dr and the pulmonologist. The neuro people are done with her since the anyerusm is "cured".

The intensivist (ICU doctor) told me his biggest concern is that we do not have a diagnosis and they do not know what is causing the fluids. Therefore, they can't tell me she will be ok b/c it is still a guessing game what is going on. Today they did noninvasive tests like a heart ultrasound. They had hoped to get a phlegm sample but she has not coughed up enough. So they may have to induce it which is pretty invasive. However they want her more stable for that.

I have no idea what tomorrow will bring or what they will do. The chest xray will tell a lot.

I got kicked out by my parents b/c I guess I look like I am about to fall over from exhaustion and nothing more is being done tonight. My dad is spending the night again. My uncle Sheldon is flying out tomorrow. And I will be back at the hospital at 6:30 am to stalk the doctors as we never know when they make the rounds.

Hi Andrea,

I'm really, really sorry to hear that your mom is going through this. My dad was on a by-pap machine also a couple of times and it helped him a lot. He also got lasix (sp?) frequently, and it helped, too. His diagnosis was COPD, but of course that's not the case with your mom, or they would know. COPD is a pretty easy diagnosis. I just hope they find out real soon what's causing this and get her well very soon.

I will tell you that my experiences at the ICU where my dad was on two occasions were excellent. The first time was just a few days and the second time was several weeks, but he got better and got out of there. The nurses were so well qualified, very attentive, and very well trained. I wouldn't have wanted him to be anywhere else when he was that sick, so I'm glad they are keeping her there where she can be closely monitored.

God's love and prayers to you and your family,

Peggy

I feel like I have been under a rock..I just saw this post.

Hope things take a turn for the better soon Andrea and they figure out what is going on with your mom.

Try to get some sleep (easier said than done I know). My thoughts are with you and yours...

Andrea, I hope you get answers soon. Maybe it's infection - my mom had an infection in the pleural lining at Christmas, and had to have a tube surgically inserted. She was so sick she almost died :shock: . All from a staph infection.

FWIW, I doubt the cancer could make such a fast intrusion. And culturing an infection can take a couple of days.

Still praying for you all. Get some rest.

Hi Andrea,

Just want you to know that I am thinking of you and your mom today. I pray there is some kind of improvement.

Prayers going out to her everyday. I hope you are holding up okay.

So many prayers going out to her.

Maryanne

Andrea,

I still have hold of that "good" feeling I had. Can't help but think this will be worked out OKAY and that it will soon.

Of course, in the meantime, plenty of prayers cannot hurt either.

Waiting anxiously to hear the latest update. Hope you are getting enough sleep to see you through this.

With many warm thoughts of you and your Mother.

Kasey

I am such a cheat cutting and pasting what I e-mailed out---Thanks to everyone here for the prayers!! Cut and paste below:

Still in ICU. A bit more stable today breathing wise because they got rid of a lot of lung fluid so she was feeling better. We know she has to feel a bit better because she looked at me and said "I think you need to get your eyebrows professionally tweezed". :)

All we know is that she has Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome, known as ARDS. The next step is to figure out why. Still no clue what is causing the lung fluid and infiltrates. Still has not been allowed to get out of bed. A cardiologist was called in tonight because some emyznes are out of whack.

I guess more tests tomorrow. I will return to the hospital early in the am.

Thanks for prayers

Hi Andrea,

My Mom had ARDS after her open heart surgery. She was in ICU for more than 6 weeks. She was on the vent for almost 2 weeks and then on trachea the rest of her stay in ICU. Her lung just would not expand at that time and the doctors were baffled and could not find out why. After extensive respiratory therapy she was weaned out of the breathing machine. I think having her family around giving her lots of TLC and encouragement helped a lot. And of course prayers. Her insurance co. wanted her out of the ICU and into an Acute Care facility after 3 weeks in ICU. We refused and her doctors respected our wishes and fought the insurance co. to keep her in ICU.

I am praying that your Mom recovers. I am praying for you too, that you have the strength to be your Mom's advocate.

Theresa

My mom is no longer "drowning in her own fluid", as she was over the weekend. Yes, you can drown if your lungs fill with fluid. A special team was about to get ready to put her on a ventilator on Sat and everything.

She is out of ICU and in a regular room. Her chest xray is clearer, but still some fluid. This does not appear to be related to the cancer at all. We do not have any answers yet on what caused this, there are many possibilities. We also do not know if she will have any permanent damage. More tests were d one today and we should get results tomorrow.

She still needs oxygen, they hoped she would be off it by now. She did get to use the bathroom on her own today finally. Today was also the first day she was allowed to get out of bed, her tushy was killing her from laying there.

And once again tomorrow's chest xray should indicate a lot. Still not sure when she can come home.

My dad has been sleeping at the hospital, he is holding up well, probably better than me b/c he does not ask as many direct questions out of her earshot like I do ;) I am ok, just tired. I also have to see a breast surgeon on Thurs for a likely needle aspiration to make sure a nodule is ok.

Thanks for all the e-mails and calls and prayers!