nurses

Guest janetp1000

Guest janetp1000

I'm new to this group. My dad recently passed away from cancer. In the midst of all sadness, the nurses were there for him and for our family -- they always tried to make him comforable and answered our questions patiently. It makes me wonder why they seem to go unrecognized.

Does anyone else have any experiences they can share?

Yes...we have wonderful nurses that are members of our group!!! When Dennis was ill, we encountered many wonderful and caring nurses that I still keep in contact with after three years. I agree that nurses often do not get the credit they deserve.

When you think about it, every medical trauma you've ever gone through usually has at least one fantastic nurse that stands out. We really should do more to thank them and let them know. When I was in labor for Jillian, her heart rate dropped. I was lucky enough to have a wonderful older nurse that made me turn over and get on all fours to get her off the cord. She did it in such a way that I never realized how much trouble we were in until later...when I got home I sent her a card and a nice gift certificate thanking her.

Janet,

I would like to welcome you to our group and offer my condolences on the recent death of your Dad.

As for your question about nurses, I have to say that Mike has had some very wonderful nurses care for him. It seems that the ones in the oncology ward of our local hospital are all so very very well trained, knowledgeable and compasionate. They have been helpful to Mike and to me. Mike actually wrote a letter, praising them , to the hospital administrator. It was very much appreciated . It seems that all too often people only take time to report their negative experiences and don't taketime to report the good. God Bless good nurses,everywhere.

God Bless,

Sue

From a hospital employee's stand point (I'm a respiratory therapist), it is REALLY appreciated when you get thank yous from families. Sometimes you get run down with the day to day work in your department, and getting a thank you just reminds you why you do what you do... trying to make peoples lifes better or just a little more comfortable.

Last time Mom was in the hospital, her room was right at the nurse's station. We had to listen to the nurses get into a screaming extensive argument one night, but it was caused by the frustration of being understaffed. All of the nurses involved in the altercation were very kind to us, and "luckily" Mom was pretty med'ed up, so she heard none of it.

Overall, our nurses have been angels. Another note: her hospital's policy is that when ANYONE enters the room (housekeeping, dieticians, nurses, etc.) they ask, "Is there anything else I can do for you or get for you before I leave?" It really makes Mom feel looked after.

:) Kelly

I had so many fantastic nurses during this journey. They truly cared about me and would respond whenever I needed help. I can't say enough about this profession. My best friend and her sister are currently studying to be nurses. They will both be among the tops. They have the personality and nature that is needed to make a top nurse.

Joanie

Donna G was the first nurse we dealt with when Randy got sick. Donna was our intake nurse that night. She is also the one who guided me to this site.

Along with Donna there were a number of angels that helped us on our journey. They were so incredible.

After Randy passed, a few of them came to the visitation. You will never know how it touched my heart to know they cared so much about him.

They are ANGELS!!!

Thank you Donna.

Tell Kristy, Noelia, Karen, Bethany, Jan, and the rest whose names escape me that I still think of all they did for us and I will be forever grateful.

Much love,

Shirleyb