An update on mom today

Hello fine family.

I am happy to report that mom got out of bed today to visit with friends from out of town in the great room at the nursing home. They watched the basketball game, so that means she was up for a few hours. She had many visitors today and was bing her funny old self. Made my heart light and happy.

On a sour note, one of the aides gave my mom another patient's meds tonight. Thank God my family was there or who knows if it would have even been exposed. She was given:

Cardizem SR 120mg, Effexor XR 75mg, Lopressor 100mg, Sodium Bicarb and 2 mg of coumadin.

As of tonight, they are checking her BP regularly bc she already has low BP as her normal (110/65) reading. The house Dr. was called and he thinks all will be OK. My mom made them call her oncologist before she would take any more medicine. I was pleased that she spoke up, just to let them know that she understands what happened.

Mom starts therapy again tomorrow. I am praying really hard that she can make "significant enough progress" to satisfy the insurance company bc it may take mom a long time to start coming around. She has had 2 brain surgeries afterall...

Love and prayers to y'all.

G'nite

Lori,

What a mess! We've been there, but just with Mom getting the wrong IV meds--it even had the wrong name on it! I'm surprised that mistakes are still so frequent. At the hospital now, they 'scan' her ID bracelet and then 'scan' her meds to make sure they match up.

I'm SO glad your mom was able to enjoy her company--and that you were able to enjoy seeing her "up"!

Hope tomorrow is a good day as well.

:) Kelly

Lori,

I am so very happy to hear that your mom was able to enjoy a pleasant visit with friends. I know that seeing someone you love so much being able to be up, happy, and acting like the old days can make our spirits soar. It really warms my heart to know that you were able to feel that joy. You deserve it after all the stress and heartache you've been going through lately.

I'm sorry that had to be tempered by the mishap with the medication. Boy, I can't believe they can be so careless with something so serious. I know you've been struggling in your heart as to what to do with your mom, and this error can not be helping to instill any confidence in the treatment and care your mom would receive in a facility.

I pray too that your mom start to see radical improvement. Not only so she can stay and receive rehab, but so that she can regain some of the normal in her life. I pray she can return home and enjoy quality time as well as a good quantity of time.

God Bless you Lori

Hi Lori,

That was good medicine for you mom having her friends around. But the bad medicine, I just can't believe they did that. How did they find out it was the wrong medication?

I pray for you mom to gain strength and to get better every day.

Maryanne :wink:

What happened Maryanne is the aide gave her the meds, she took them and then came at mom with an inhaler. My mom said I don't take an inhaler. The aide apparently as trying to argue with mom that she needed to take it, when my aunt spoke up and said "Is it her medicine?" The aide said the person's name, and it wasn't my mom!!

The nurse came into her room and apologized, but would not tell my family what they gave her until they spoke with the Dr.

I came in about 5 minutes after it, found out what happened and immediately went to the Nurse's station and demanded they give us list of what she had taken. I asked if we could get a checks and balances system going forward. So, from now on, the nurses are supposed to check mom's new wristband.

She did not have a wristband, the aide did not know her, her name is nowhere, so no wonder this happened. When I asked for the check and balance system, the nurse stated "this does not happen". I said "It just did, please don't give me any resistance, I just don't want this to happen again!"

I am hoping that SF realizes that we really could give mom better care at home, once her therapy is over. I called him last night and let him know what happened, but he did not seem concerned. He is so done.

I'm thrilled to hear your mom had a good day. I am so shocked by the meds error. yikes! and coumadin is evil, luckily it was only one dose. sheesh. this is the LAST thing you need right now.

I think of you alot, Lori. hang in there, and keep us posted.

xoxo

amie

So happy for the good things that happened, but very concerned about the medicine mistake. Doesn't surprise me that the medical "professionals" are not alarmed at the mishap that could very well have been deadly. It's all too bad that it seems one has to have a lawyer attached to them to make others behave properly and lawfully. I come from a place where only nurses are allowed to administer medicine not aides. Wish you and family the best, Patty

So happy to hear that your mom is making headway. Really good news.

As far as the medicine mistake, at Sloan Kettering, they won't even talk to you without first asking you to spell your first and last name and give your date of birth. This goes on from the time you arrive until you leave with even an asprin. I think thats a good system. Maybe you can pass it on.

Joan

Lori, so glad your Mom is doing better. So glad the meds thing wasn't more serious. Those things just should not happen. How scary for your Mom. After my second surgery I was given too many drugs in the recovery room and my blood pressure kept falling. The nurse is starting to panic and my Mom rushed off to call my husband. I was semi-awake through all this and it was scary. I question everything now.

Hope your Mom can be home soon.

Hugs,

Nancy B

Lori,

truthfully, after reading the first few lines of your post, I had to go back to check the date to make sure it wasn't last year....!!

Wow! Mama rocks today! This is like a miracle if you ask me.

When my g'ma was in the hospital, my Dad and brother felt like they had to keep watch to "protect" her "from" the staff. That is what they said. They ended up bringing her home and nursing her themselves. They did everything with love.

That SF...I have never liked him. He is a pain in the you know what.

Cindi o'h

Yes, Cindi, it was like a miracle and I'll take them every chance I get!!

I feel the exact same way about the medical community at this point. I am very suspicious and not trusting at all. I find that the more I ask questions, the more they hide when they see me coming and I don't care, not one bit!

I want my mom to concentrate on her recovery and I'll deal with the red tape. I am already thinking about the appeal I will have to file for mom when her insurance company wants to stop her therapy. I mean, I know she isn't making significant progress, but she had 2 brain surgeries in a 2 month period. I don't think I would either! Jeesh..ranting is good :roll:

Lori,

WHY is an AID giving meds? Is she licensed to do that? Here in California, it MUST be either a doctor or nurse ONLY.. i would question it. Check credentials, this is NOT accepable. If they get angry, OH well. It's not their life. Ticks me off, incompetance and a lazy nurse.

Sending prayers for a speedy recovery. Great news that mom is sitting up and starting to get a little more mobile. That's progress, I know she will get stronger each day. Throw that SF to the curb... :wink:

Hugs,

Karen

I can't imagine the anguish you went through when you found that out about the wrong medication. What if... Oh my G-d.... she is so lucky whatever they administered to her it did not affect her negatively.

It could have been disasterous. :cry:

I am glad though that you mom seems to be coming along okay now.

Fingers cross she gets the therapy she needs. You are wonderful, Lori.. What would you mom do without you. Your FIL would probably just let her wither away. I really hate him.. selfish creep.. only thinks about himself.. what goes around comes around, he'll get his. Meanwhile, you keep that fighing spirit of yous up!!

Hang in there.

Maryanne :wink: