Penny

Hi,

My name is Penny and I was just diagnosed with small cell lung cancer. My husband was diagnosed with multiple myeloma one year ago to the day of my diagnosis. It took 2 bronchoscopies before they got enough tissue for a definative diagnosis. I'm scared, and nervous. Go to the oncologist today....pray they'll start my treatment real soon. They say so far it's only in the right lung. Guess I'm still in a fog :shock: ......wondering when this is all going to seem real to me.

Will gladly accept any and all advice on how to get through the beginning mentally in tact. :?

Got to head to the doctor's......will check back later.

Thanks & (((((HUGS))))))

Penny

Welcome Penny. SCLC is very suceptable to chemo. I have several friends that are more than 5 years and doing well. Wishing you the best results. Keep us posted!

Donna G

Penny,welcome to our support family.This is a scary and unknown worst time of this at the begining.Soon as you have a plan of treatment in place and are actively fighting,it doesn't get easy but it is more doable.

There are many here surviving and fighting long after their time was supposedly up and this type of cancer (small cell) usually responds well to treatments.

I believe we have 2, 10 year survivors of Small Cell LC here read the good news and Survivor forums for inspiration. Let us know what you folks need for info and we will do the best we can.

Welcome Penny,

Sorry you had the need to find us, but I'm glad you did.

Donna G is right that small cell reacts very well to chemo. It can kill the cancer in it's tracks. :wink: Wish it did that with all cancers, but it does seem to do it pretty good to small cell.

Oh yes, the early days.... :shock: They suck and your in shock! But we will do our best to walk the walk with you as you venture off on this new found journey.

We're always here.

I'm 4 1/2 years from dx (we count the months just like a small child is 5 3/4!)

My sclc has been knocked on the head and my oncologist has pronounced me cured of that particular cancer. I'm still at risk for a new one but I'm also at risk for being hit by a truck every time I leave home.

Please don't listen to any statistics, they are many of us who have shot them out of the water with our survival times and there's no reason to think that you can't be one of them too.

Just stay positive and laugh whenever you can........that's the best medicine there is.....aside from the chemo and things.

Geri

Penny,

I'm sorry about your DX, Cancer is a very scary thing.. I don't have Cancer but my Dad did and I know how scared I was with my Dads Dx.. My advice to you is try to stay positive and FIGHT this beast you can win there are so many survivors and you my Friend can be one of them... How is your Husband doing with his Multiple Myeloma? I will pray for a quick recovery..

Love Michele

Welcome Penny. It is a very scary time but we are right here when you need us. I think once you get a plan of attack in place you will feel much more in control. I am 6 years out from nsclc and almost 2 years with sclc. Let us know what we can do to help you.

Hugs and prayers,

Nancy B

Hi Penny:

Sorry you had to find us, but glad you did. As many others have already said, you will find lots of support here. Not only, experiential help with your dx, treatment journey, and support for those times you just plain want to cry or blow off steam; but also, lots of great friendship and laughs.

Welcome!

Linda

Hi Penny.

I am so glad that you found us... HOW??? I just can't believe our good fortune that we have to help you through this. And we will. You will not believe this group. They will lift you when you are down and give you excellent advice if you should become confused.

Cancer is no fun. You know that already. But, it is treatable. It gets less frightening as time goes on, I assure you.

Hang with us. We will walk you through. You are not alone.

Cindi o'h

Hi Penny:

Welcome to the group. You will feel better about your situation when treatment starts probably. I just started treatment again. I feel better now about it because something is being done. I walked into the radiation room yesterday to get my first dose. I started singing a little ditty out loud that I made up in the spur of the moment on my way into the treatment room..."kill the tumor...kill the tumor" it kind of amused the radiation tech.

It is still kind of hard for me to believe that I have cancer. I don't think anyone quite gets "used to it".

But, I enjoy my life and am happy to be here on planet earth.

Good luck with your treatment.

Don M

Welcome Penny!!!!!

I just wanted to jump in with a great big warm hug as you officially join the family here. Beginning days are the worst as the others have said. I am betting that you will start tx today.....tomorrow......Monday. Then you will have your plan in place and things will get better. It was mentioned that there are mnay sclc survivors here and they will be around to support you all through this.

Kasey

Hi Penny,

Welcome here. So sorry for your diagnosis. I know how scared you must be. But please know that LC is not a death sentence. There are so many treatments out there and when they find the right one you can be stable for years.

You will feel better once you start treatment.

We are always here for you to answer questions, need support and prayers.

Hang in there it will get better for you. Keep a positive attutude and get ready to put on those boxing gloves.

Maryanne

Just to give you a boost - I just had my four year anniversary of SCLC limited diagnosis. So don't listen to all the gloom and doom. There are many survivors in the SCLC category. You'll start to feel better mentally once you start treatment, I think, because you feel that you're finally doing something about getting better. That's how I felt. Also, I tried my best to find something to laugh about everyday. A tv show or movie, your spouse (mine is capable of doing nutty stuff ALOT, resulting in many laughs!) Please let us know what the dr. said. Keep your chin up!

Joanie ((()))

Wow...what alot on your plate! But you will do just fine...I know it! I can't offer any better advice than has already been given - just a warm welcome!

Now, go put your battle armor on - we got your back! :wink:

Yours in HOPE!!

Stacey