Three Years

Debi

Well, tomorrow it will be exactly 3 years since my surgery and the confirmation that I had lung cancer.

Every year seems to be a different ‘theme’, my first year was fear- My second year was gratitude. The theme of my 3rd year would have to be ‘moving on’. I am no longer scared, I no longer treat every day with wonder that I am still here, although I do have my moments. In some ways I feel like I have wasted the last 3 years worrying, so afraid to move forward, stuck in some sort of cancer vacuum, surviving cancer but not really- allowing it to still occupy too much room in my head. I healed physically, but never really was able to fully heal mentally from the uncertainty it had introduced to my life.

But it’s time to move on now. I have been thinking of buying a house, it looks like I finally have the possibility of getting a great, new job, and at the same time the opportunity has come to advance in my old one. I have choices, I have options –ME!!! I survived my cancer, and I have choices in life. And I am ready to take them and move on to better things because I finally, truly believe I can plan a future. Wow. How awesome is that??

As hard as it has been sometimes on this board, being here has made these past 3 years easier than it ever would have been without you all, I could never leave. Again, thanks from my heart to all of you for walking along with me, through all our good times and bad.

Congratulations on your three year anniversary. I am so glad that life is going well and you may soon be a home owner--too cool. Good luck with whichever job you decide on, can't wait to hear about it. Good luck Debi.

Rochelle

Well, Debi, I am going to be ready for MY year 3 and the 'movin on' part. Year one for me was fear.......just like you. Year two....this year...........I am grateful. So year three sounds awesome. Congratulations and will see you real soon!

Kasey

Congratulations, Debi. Three years ago, I thought it was iffy if either of us would be around now. Really worried about you not having chemo. Well, we both made the right decision. So, get on with your life! But don't forget us here. We need you.

Muriel

Debi.

I am grinning from ear to ear as I read your post. You are so honest and good about finding the words to express what is going on with you.

These years have not been in waste I can tell you that. It was as it was meant to be, in my opinion.

Celebrate with a diet coke?

love, Cindi o'h

Debi, I am happy to hear you say that cancer is just a part of your life not the whole of your life and is now becoming just one more thing that has shaped the person you have become.

Wow, a homeowner. Lots of care and feeding, but no better feeling than owning your own home.

Enjoy life.

What an uplifting post....and I'm so happy for you.

Good luck on the new job and house. I'd say you definately deserve to have all these new opportunities in your life.

Congratulations Debi!!!!

Warm Hugs,

Melinda

Debi,congratulations on the three year mark.I am very,very happy you are making your new theme move on.

I'm also very glad you have everything looking up in life and work.Once you own your new home you will be so busy you won't have much time to worry about the cancer thing.

If anyone deserves a much rewarding breath of fresh air in life it is you.

Debi,

Many, many congratulations on your 3 year mark! Awesome, isn't it? (Mine is officially next week, June 20). I'm totally in tune with what you've been feeling these past three years and happy that you're in such a good place right now.

We'll have a toast in Texas next month, ok?

Cindy

Congratulations on moving on, 3 years is a wonderful landmark to reach.

I finding that the longer I go on the more cancer is receding to where sometimes it seems almost an unreal part of my past.

Go knock 'em dead with your positive attitude and good luck house hunting.

Geri

Debi....what a wonderful inspiring post...you are gifted with words that mean so much girlfriend...you write so beautifully...

A big big congrat's on your 3 yr mark with so mannyyyy more to go...you are a big inspiration to all of us...

I just loved when you said time to 'move on' ...this attutude is just awesome...Good luck on your choice of job's...I know you will make the right decision...and a new home to boot...Life is good...God is better....hugs...PamS.

I'm Movin On

Rascal Flats

I've dealt with my ghosts and I've faced all my demons

finally content with a past I regret.

I've found you've found strength in your moments of weakness, for once I'm at peace with myself.

I've been burdened with blame

trapped in the past for too long

I'm movin' on.

I've lived in this place and I know all the faces

each one is different but there always the same.

they mean me no harm but its time that I face it;

they'll never allow me to change.

But I never dreamed home would end up where I don't belong

I'm movin' on.

I'm movin' on,

at last I can see (at last I can see)

life has been patiently waiting for me

and I know there's no guarantees.

but I'm not alone.

There comes a time,

in everyone's life

when all you can see

are the years passing by

and I have made up my mind

that those days are gone.

I've sold what I could and packed what i couldn't,

Stopped to fill up on my way out of town

I've love like I should but lived like I shouldn't;

I had to loose everything to find out;

Maybe forgiveness will find me somewhere down this road;

I'm movin on.

I'm movin on

I'm movin on.

Thank you for your post. I am just approaching my first year since surgery. Scans have all been great, but I know what you mean about the fear. I too am very grateful as I am about to start my second year. Thank you for your post it was a great eye opener and inspiration for me. I pray that God continues to Bless you.