Not the Best Results this time

joanie55

Went for an MRI on my spine because I've been having pain in my right leg. I had recently been given great results on my CT scan of lung (Stable).

It seems that the metastisis to my sacrum has grown and is pressing on nerves, sending lots of pain down my leg. :(

I saw the radiologist today and will be doing 10 days of radiation and then off to the oncologist to decide either on a new round of chemo or a clinical trial. They are also going to radiate a spot on my spine that grew very slightly.

This also means no more Avastin.

Oh well, maybe this time I won't lose my hair??? I finally had my first haircut!

Thanks for listening.

Joan

Aw Joan :cry: ....................sorry about this for sure. Hopefully radiation will take care of this for you and your hair can stay intact. There's so many clinical trials abvailable, I sure hope there is one to benefit you. Will keep you close in thought and prayer, Joan.

Kasey

(((((((((((((((((((((JOAN))))))))))))))))))))))

Hang in there kiddo! At least they are working on a game plan. I know it's easier said then done when I say, "hang in there"!

Holler if you need an ear and know that we're here for you if you need to vent, or whatever! :wink:

Thanks for all the good wishes. Ry, Tarceva is one of the chemos that my doctor mentioned. I know that it usually works better if you are a "never smoked" person, which is not me, so I don't know?? He's also mentioned altima, gemzar and vinorelbine as possibilities.

Never heard of the last one.

Joan

Hey Joanie,

This is not the news that I wanted to hear. But, I know this is just a little bump in the road and will pass. Hang in there and know that I am praying for you everyday.

GOD BLESS!

Jamie

Joan,

Sorry about the news - but the radiation should alleviate the pain. I have already had it for lower spine with leg pain and for the clavicle. Now I am undergoing it (started yesterday) for another spot on my mid spine. I have been in pain for almost 2 months - while they tried to find the cause. When they finally did - the pain seems to have stopped on it's own. I do know that it will be back and that there is a tumor on my spine - so I want to complete the radiation.

I have been on Gemcitibine combined with carboplatin. No hair loss, just a little thinning. My blod counts did poorly, but I felt fine and had about 10 cycles. I then went to Alimta for 3 cycles. That's the one that has shown the most success in female non smokers. It didn't work for me. Now he has me going to Taxotera - it's given once a week for 3 weeks then a week off. That allows for few side effects (including no hair loss). I had to stop while getting the radiation, but my first treatment was uneventful.

I was also offered Tarceva. Many people have had success with this according to the board. My problem was the serious rashes that are part of the treatment. Apparently they are suffered by close to 100% of the folks and are at the point of pain and needing antibiotics. I guess the combination of my vanity and comfort demands made me tell the doctor to try something else. I have since been advised that I should reconsider this. If the current regimen is not effective, I might try Tarceva. My nurse suggests that working to treat the side effects would be smarter than just not taking the drug. She also said that there may soon be a study that relates the greatest success of Tarceva in the cases where the rash was most severe.

Good luck with your treatment.

Mary

Joan,

So sorry to hear about this new set-back. Remember TWO steps forward and only ONE step back is the rule!! :D:D I don't know a darn thing about bone mets, but I've heard the name of the drug zometa bandied about the oncs office. Is this for bone mets? If so, could they use this on you? (Just curious.)

My best to you for speedy change in the pain.

Welthy

Joanie,

Sorry to hear about the test results -- you're in my thoughts and prayers. By the way, I quit smoking the day I was diagnosed (one year ago), and am currently taking Tarceva. I'm happy to say that I've never felt better. It's definitely worth thinking about taking Tarceva.

Hugs,

Trish