Pre-op tomorrow

-Cheryl-

Hi Gang,

Tomorrow I go in to Baylor Medical for Pre-op stuff, and my surgery is still scheduled for Mon.. My Onc on Tue. made me feel a bit more encouraged. He said, " You are healthy and active. One out of three will survive this and be cured. There are no guarantees in life, but your chances are good."

My stomach is in knots, and I have not been sleeping. I can't seem to concentrate on anything at work. Anyone with some pre-op advice for the jitters?

Cheryl

Cheryl,

Not sure if this will cure your jitters, but it will make you laugh!

My surgery was scheduled for a Monday morning at 8:00 a.m. I was told to arrive at the hospital at 6:15 for pre-op paperwork and prep.

Wouldn't you know that we had the biggest snowstorm of the decade in our area (about 3 feet of snow) that Sunday, into Monday? I didn't have TIME to worry about the surgery -- my big worry was whether or not the surgery was actually going to happen or not!!! The doctor on call that Sunday assured me that my surgeon would be there....so, I left my house at 4:00 a.m. and had to shovel our way out to the car and drive through a blizzard, across the bridge from Jersey to Philadelphia, even though a "state of emergency" had been declared. (I considered my surgery to be a "state of emergency" and no one was keeping me off the roads that morning!)

It was such a crazy time and the hospital was in chaos -- I didn't have time to get nervous until they actually put me on the bed and wheeled me to the operating room. The anestesiologists were cracking jokes and had me calm in no time. Sure enough, my surgeon arrived and we were good to go.....Next thing I knew, I was in recovery. Piece of cake! :wink:

All kidding aside, you will get through this -- just think about how great you are going to feel once it is DONE!!!! :D

I'll be thinking of you and sending prayers your way!

Heather

You are at the next BIG STEP - surgery. It is no picnic but it is do able. Many of us have been there. Hope you have a good Epidural, that your lung expands quickly, don't forget it is good for you to get out of bed, walk, good for you to take deap breaths, good for you to do range of motion within a couple of days on the affected side. Hope you get back to the board soon and post wonderful new in the GOOD NEWS ribbon. Best Wishes Donna G

I can tell you this. It wasn't easy but not nearly as hard as I thought it would be. Was medicated while in intensive care (didn't feel a thing)..and then when was returned to ward, had good pain management. Even when they said they were going to remove the tubes and said it would be painful...it wasn't!!! Think they like to exagerrate so that outcome is actually a pleasant surprise :)

Remember to breathe as deeply as possible and keep a pillow always at your side ready to hug when needed...

Good luck to you and u are and will be in my thoughts..

Dear Cheryl---I rmember being nervous for pre-op tests too---I thought I would fail that breathing test thing---and not be able to be operated on but all was ok--it is so normal to be nervous and frightened of the outcome---

I was nervous with the operation basically becauseI never had one before---but the only time I can say I had real pain was in recovery when I was waking up--after that never really felt any pain---I too thought it would be much rougher than it was---but I was more nervous not to have the operation and very grateful that it was caught early enough

just think---- this is what you were hoping and praying for-and why you went through all the treatment-----

you will be fine--

hope Jack will post and let us know how the operation went?

regards and your pre-ops will be a breeze compared to the chemo

Eileen-

Cheryl,

Nothing to add that the above posters haven't said!! I only wanted to say that its okay... you're not supposed to be able to sleep, or concentrate on work...if you WERE, there would be something wrong!! I know for myself, I had put off worrying about it for weeks but when it got to the "countdown", it was hard to think of anything else!! What did help me is I started thinking a week ahead of myself...I had my surgery on Monday also...and I started thinking the last few days before...okay, a week from now I will already be out of surgery 3 days, 4 days, 5 days! It helped get my mind off the surgery itself and to focus on thinking of how nice it would be AFTERward when it was all over!

Keep remembering what your Oncologist told you. Remember what we, on the boards have told you. I think we all expected worse (or at least alot of us) than it actually was!!! Like others, I had never had any kind of surgery or ever been really sick so I had no idea what to expect! So of course, I expected the very worse!! You will do fine. You need to take Saturday and spoil yourself..go shopping .. get some good books to read while you recover.. and have a nice dinner out with Jack!

And remember, your not going in there alone...we will all be with you in spirit!! :0)

Debi

47 years old

Stage 1A-nsclc

Surgery June 16, 2003 - mid & upper lobe removed

I know how you feel--I was sleepless and excited an worried and all that in February before my surgery. I remember being wheeled into surgery and telling the resident I hoped they got the catheter in soon because my bladder was ready to burst. I'll be thinking of you this wekend, and especially on Monday, and watching for updates from Jack. You'll do great!

Becky

Cheryl,

I can not say anything that the others have not said already. I too dreaded my surgery before the date came. But my doctor talked me through my fear. You will do fine once you get there. Keep that pillow by your side and don't hesitate to use your morphine or ask for your pain medicine if you don't have the morphine tube. The road ahead of you is not an easy one but there are a lot of Prayers going up on your behalf so you will be fine. Will be looking forward on an update for you. Good Luck. You will be in my Prayers.

Bruce

Cherly

You are going to be fine!!! if we didn't have something to worry about we wouldn't know what to do with ourselves!!! :lol: Good luck! Be thinking of you! & praying for you!

(((((hugs)))))

Estelle

Hi Cheryl, Know that we are all going to be thinking of you during your pre-op, surgery and your recovery. It is very doable just "don't be a hero with the pain medications" take them before you have pain, and get a nice soft pillow to hold, or some others like stuffed animals, once you get home accept the help offered, and walk,walk walk,(they will start you at the hospital I'm sure) . Take care my friend and know that we are all rooting in your favor! And there are a lot of us so we will be heard!

Cheryl, Lots of good advice here re: pillows, pain meds., deep breathing, activity. The only thing I would add is: do everything you can think of to calm and comfort yourself before sleep, starting now. Good rest will help allay your fears. Some suggestions: A warm bath, a gentle massage from your sweetheart, lavender oil or sachet (makes my Mom fall right to sleep), relaxation tapes (easily purchased at many places), slow, deep breathing, meditation, prayer.....I could go on. PM me if you want to talk about some more strategies for promoting rest. Try a few things, and at least one of them will surely help you sleep.

I'm certain you'll do well. Do keep us posted. Best wishes, Teresa

Cheryl,

Just remember the 4 P's

Everyone here on the board will take care of P#1 = Praying for a speedy and comfortable recovery after a successful operation.

You have to do the other 3 P's

1 = Pillow to hold against your incision. Never let it leave your side. Remember it in the car for the ride home from the hospital.

2 & 3 = Pain Pills - nuff said.

You will be in our thoughts and hearts on Monday.