New to the Board-Mother has Lung Cancer

sawyers143

I am so happy to have found this site. Four days ago My mom was diagnosed with lung cancer. The CAT Scan showed 4 tumors with one of them wrapped around her trachia (sp). My family is devestated at the news. She is going to the Dr. today to find out more. I am very nervous as I sit here in my office thinking about the upcoming battle. I have read some of the posts about being positive and this is what I am going to try to do. Last night she said that even though the odds don't look that great, she plans on being around for a while. If she can have an attitude like that, then it is important that I do the same. I know times will be tough, but I look forward every day I have my mother with me. I also look forward to the support that I think this board can give me and my family.

Sawyer

Welcome Sawyer. You have found a remarkable resource here. The folks are experts and comapssionate. Your mother sounds like she is ready to do battle with a great attitude. When you know more, be sure to come back and fill us in. It makes it easier to offer help if we know all he details. You will be able to fill in a profile.....like you see under all of our names.

We are all here to support you and your mother. Many here, me included, have defied those odds that you come across. Take heart.

Kasey

Sawyer,

Welcome to the boards. I am so sorry about your mom's diagnosis...but I am so glad that you were able to find us here...this is an amazing place. May you find strength to make it through the difficult times, and please know we are here for you.

God bless,

Jen

Scuse me while I go put on my cheerleaders outfit and get my PomPoms out. :shock: Love moms fighting spirit. :) Welcome to the boards and keep us posted on what you need. :? Questions? Got Answers! fears? Got courage! Support? Got that too and big shoulders to cry on and Clean ears to listen with. Sending Prayers for you. :wink:

Welcome Sawyer; your mom sounds very brave. I hope she does well with tratment and is around for a very long time indeed. Your mom's cancer sounds complex. I think she should be going to a major comprehensive cancer center, at least to verify a treatment plan and then she cold implement it locally. Good luck to you and your mom.

Don M

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I will definatley be asking alot of questions, looking for support and also offering support to all of you as well. My mom had an appointment today and is scheduled for a Bronchoscopy on Wed. I will let everyone know what happens. I talked to her tonight and she is doing well. Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers, and please know that I will keep all of you and your loved ones in my prayers as well.

Sawyer

Welcome Sawyer. I know you are anxious. That is very normal. Your mother sounds terrific and attitude does count. Let us know as soon as you can about the results of the test. Type, cell type, location...stage...all of that is important. Adding you to my prayer list.

Nina

Sawyer,

Wecome to the board. I hope we can provide some assistance.

I think attitude can impact how you feel during treatment. Not a fake it - it's okay to feel sad etc. But what does seem to happen is that after a bad stretch - a few days of pain or nausea, etc, then you feel good. Well that "good" is like a good day you have never had before in your life. Then you get to know why you want to fight it!

I hope you Mom does great. Your support has to mean everything to her.

Mary

Sawyer:

You and your mom have a great attitude, which is a BIG part of the battle!

I see from your last post that you've created a profile. As you travel down this bumpy road, it's a good idea to keep the profile updated even if you're not writing a new message -- any existing message with your profile attached will be automatically updated with the new information. That helps those of us who, in addition to looking at new posts since our last log-in, keep lists of members we're especially interested in tracking.

You folks are on your way to becoming another of our many success stories. Best wishes and Aloha,

Ned

Dear Sawyer:

You have come to a wonderful support group, where when one is worried, needs to vent, cry, get treatment information, cheer one another, pray for one another, all the troops come marching in! It is just awesome.

Sawyer, first let me say that one thing I have heard repeatedly, although I wasn't personally able to abide by it at all times, is to have a positive attitude. I was told that the MIND has a big role to play on the body's ailments, including cancer.

Laughter also is a perfect antiooxidant, so have your mother watch funny shows, like REd Skelton, Mama's Family, etc. I can remember my family watching it as I grew up and it is just as funny now, because I went and bought some video tapes to watch, and you can't help but laugh at least a bit. It was so funny, one night I was watching one of the tapes, and laughed, then cried, laughed again, cried, until it was all out and I just had a wonderful time and felt so much better.

I had my first and only CHEMO treatment today, and did well with it - no nausea or side effects AT LEAST YET!

Once your Mom knows the kind and stage of her cancer, the doctor will come up with a treatment geared to help her, and will give her instructions as to what to eat and drink, etc. Mine put an antinausea drip into my medaport first, and then the chemo, because I get nauseated real easy and knew it would help me.

I am on my second cancer, and it is a different type than my first. I did not have chemo with my first one. I now have small cell limited, whereas I had nonsmall cell bronchoalveolar stage la first. Doctor said it was better than having a recurrence of the first cancer, so I am glad about that.

I have a large prayer group praying for me, and for everyone on the cancer support sites here and another one. I was originally from Maine, and have all my friends and relatives praying, and they have their churches praying, as do Massachusetts, New York, Canada, Connecticut, and Kansas City, plus all the churches here and in the vicinity where I live. I don't know if you believe in prayer as I do, but prayer can change things, and has done so for many, many times.

One important thing to know that is positive is that many people in this family of lung cancer survivors, their spouses,family,loved ones,and caregivers, have had advanced and are still here and doing well, some after many years.

Sending prayers and good luck to you and your Mom and family.

Barb

Hi Sawyer,

So sorry for you moms diagnosis. We have all walked in your shoes, be it the victim or the caretaker.

Please know that LC is not necessarily a death sentence. There is so much advancements they have made and there are so many different treatments available.

You will less stressed after your mom starts treatment.

You have found the best support group as we are extremely knowledgable and supportive. I wish I found this group in the beginning.

We are always here for you and by the way Welcome Here.

Maryanne :wink: