Scans and MRI results

ernrol

Today I got the results of my CT and Pet Scans. They do not seem to be as good as I would like. I have talked to my oncologist and he has not seen them yet. He will look at them on Monday and then call me. The good news is I feel very fortunate that I had the scans and if there is something we have found it early. I am praying that the PET scan May be in error, but if not we will go and treat it. I was not due for scans till May, but I needed these for the FAA. They may not renew my medical now, but they may have saved my life.

Here is the problem I have with the Cat vs. the Pet. The CAT scan has this statement under IMPRESSION: No findings to suggest metastases below the diaphragm. The PET scan states: There is new focus of increased activity demonstrated within the right ilium with maximum SUV f 6.5 on the axial position -746.25. This appears to correspond with a very subtle approximately 6mm lesion. At the end of the report on the signature line it says PRELIMINARY RESULT. I don't know what that means.

Now from what I can find out the ilium is the top part of the hip and this is below the diaphragm. Here is a definition I found:

ilium - the big bone on top that we think of as the hip bone

I think that I have read that an inflammation can give a hot spot on a scan, not sure. So I thought that maybe all the running I have been doing might have some effect

The MRI seems to be OK.

Has any one got any good ideas? I will know more next week.

All prayers are appreciated.

Stay positive, :)

Ernie

Ernie,

When I did a search on "ilium", I found a description of Crohn's disease (go figure) that states the terminal ilium is the most distal part of the small intestine, essentially where the small intestine joins with the large intestine (the colon).

Maybe you upset your bowels with the marathon?

Don't jump to conclusions, you could just have a crooked fart. :shock:

No, really... Wait for your doctor to get back to you on Monday. Preliminary results are like voting polls - not always right. If it's anything that may be sinister, you'll be on it like a duck on a June bug. Early is good, but it could also be nothing. Let's just call it nothing unless someone in the know tells you differently...

Hang in there!

Becky

Ernie,

You are correct, the ilium is a bone. The ileum is part of the small intestine. Their spellings are sometimes switched, especially on the web. Obviously, these are both below the diaphram, so the language in your report seems to be contradictory, at least to me as a layman. Talk about ambiguity - you've got to feel a little frustrated, especially with a weekend to get through.

You certainly will have my prayers; on the other hand, I know that you'll call on your huge reserve of inner strength and positive thinking, and be fine.

Hang in there - this could be nothing much. If it is something, you'll deal with it and show us all how it's done.

Mary Colleen

Ernie, many years ago a member chanced reading the films from her brain MRI. Two huge new tumors could be seen and she wasn't meeting with her dr. for a few days, days spent in total fear.

At dr. appt, he tells her all is well. What are those 2 new tumors she asks. He laughs and says, they are your eye sockets.

It is an example of how well we read our medical reports. Here's hoping for your own eye sockets.

Ernie,

This could very well be an injury / inflammation from the 1/2 marathon.

BTW--A preliminary report is a report dictated (by the radiologist) and transcribed (by the transcriptionist) but not yet read and signed by the radiologist.

I have a feeling its nothing. Plus 6mm is very very small.

Joe B

My onc can read the scans over the computer....It's a shame people are expected to just wait. I have a small spot on my hip as well Ernie. It's referred to as the "iliac" bone. I might add that I've had instances to where spots have shown up before on several of my scans, including the brain, that were not present on the redo. Maybe another type of scan is in order.

My prayers,

Cheryl

Ern,

Two CAT/PET's ago Tony had uptake showing up on his right iliac bone, but no mention of size. Did the report actually use the word bone? Did the lungs look clear? It sounded like it from your post -- so that is good news!

I had to chuckle, because the first thought that crossed my mind was inflammation from running, and then I saw you included that in your post. You are always a step ahead Ernie! (Literally.)

I'm keeping everything crossed that you will get things clarified on Monday as these reports do seem a little screwy. As for early scans, geez... whoever thought the government would be helpful?? :) We are all here for you --- as you have been for us.

Welthy (Debi)

Wait on the doctor. PET scans are only a reliable tool for direction, treatment would rquire the MRI or CT. When I had my first PET, I was really worried. My brother-in-law, who was head of surgery said to disregard it. Many thinga make it unreliable. He was right.

Hope your's proves to be okay as well.

Mary

Hi Ernie: My husband had a similar situation last week. Seems the Avastin is magnifiying his arthritis, but there is an area on his hip that reads "questionable mild irregular increase in activity, right proximal femur, this raises the possiblility of healing trauma or early neoplastic involvement." The doctor says she's pretty sure it's arthritis and inflammation but has ordered an MRI to rule out. I'm sure you'll be fine but we'll be hoping for the best for you. As you always say STAY POSITIVE.

Wendy

Ernie...I would go with the CT....I like what that say's..Could be absolutely nothing...My surgeon say's...the radioligist are the first ones to be sued...so they have to cover there butts and put down lots of 'stuff' that is not necessary....I questioned one of my reports...and he just waved his hand and said...it's nothing...Never the less...vibes for a good report from the Onc...

I have a surgeon's app. on Monday too...with the scan's in hand and I did not look at the report...for the same reason as above...beside that I would be scared chi'tless....and you know what you alway's say Ernie....S\P....hugs...PamS.

Ernie,

I am not even close to being and expert, but I had a PET scan last July that had some doctors convinced I had mets to my liver because of the high SUV values and the nodules that appeared on the MRI and CAT. As you can see from my time line, a biopsy proved them wrong and it was only “inflamed fatty tissue”. My primary Onc (who didn’t believe I had mets) told me that PETs were far from being 100% accurate in finding cancer because they are also very good at finding infections and inflammation with no easy way of discerning between the 3.