New member/Introduction

Guest hearrean

Guest hearrean

Just joined & wanted to introduce myself & give some specifics of my situation.

FYI: I'm a 58 year old male former smoker, but quit 5 years ago.

I had a follow-up CT scan done 2 weeks ago and saw the Pulmonoligist last week. The Radiologist written findings were as follows: An irregular 20 X 19 X 18 mm medial right upper lobe mass has developed closely associated with the suprahilar region. This is highly suspicious for neoplastic disease. Associated with this lesion is a second mass which is suprahilar in location & does extend into the mediastinum, and again this is most likely a neoplasm & this component measures 33 X 24 X 24 mm & irregular. This most likely represents a malignant bronchogenic neoplasm, however a PET scan is recommended for further investigation.

The Pulmonologist also looked at the CD of the CT scan & agreed with the Radiologist's findings. He sent me to a Thoracic Surgeon immediately the same day. After the surgeon reviewed the CD of the CT scan, he recommended a bone scan, PET scan & breathing function test be done first prior to any possible surgery. The breathing function test he says will determine how much of the lung can be removed safely if that is what is needed. I can say that I had a breathing function test done about a year ago & it only showed I had about 53% lung function. This was also when I was diagnosed with COPD. This is obviously due to my prior years of smoking. FYI: The Dr. did say it's slightly possible (20%) it's not cancer, but most likely is.

Obviously I've been in a daze ever since & have hoped for words of encouragement from others? Right now this has hit me hard & quick & I don't mind saying I'm scared out of my mind. I have already decided to get another opinion & have already set up to go to MD Anderson in Houston this week & put myself in their hands. I'm set up for a PFT this Wednesday & on Thursday a PET scan. They didn't say anything about a bone scan, at least yet. I guess the Doctors will review the PET & then let me know from there. Again, I'm frightened but also trying to hold on to some hope & faith.

Ken

Welcome Ken:

the initial news and diagnosis is shocking, mind numbing and terrifying. We've all been there and understand what you're feeling.

The one thing you'll hear repeated here over and over is the importance of a second, and sometimes a third opinion.

You have done the best possible thing by going to MD Anderson in Houston (my hubby goes to MD Anderson in Orlando) They will do all the tests that need to be done and work with you on a treatment plan. Once a treatment plan is in place, you'll start to feel a little better.

Please continue to post and let us know how we can help you. There is a wealth of information and support here.

Good Luck & God Bless

wendyr

Hi Ken and welcome. I still remember that feeling of fear 12+ years ago. HOPE is a powerful word and it gets us through some VERY TOUGH TIMES. Never give up HOPE because there are a LOT of us LONG TERM LC SURVIVORS still here. It's that HOPE, SUPPORT, LOVE, and GOOD HUMOR that keeps us going.

Keep us posted and hang in there, your in good company! :wink:

Ken-

Of course you're scared-- we've all been there. The second opinion at MD Anderson is a good idea. Gather all the information you can. I hope you are in that 20% that has something other than lung cancer. Welcome to the board.

Rochelle

FREE BOOKLET ON statistics!! available and surviving!!

"When people hear the words, 'You have lung cancer' their mind starts racing and they hear or remember very little of what comes next," said Joan Schiller, M.D., president, National Lung Cancer Partnership, and lead author of the booklet. "Even in this age of the Internet with information at your fingertips, patients and their families often don't know what to ask or are intimidated about doing so. This booklet was designed to be an easy-to-read resource for many of the initial questions people might have, from what kinds of doctors will be treating you to whether or not a clinical trial is right for you."

The booklet is available at no charge by sending an email including your name and address to info@NationalLungCancerPartnership.org. An expanded version with more detailed information and links to additional resources can be accessed at http://www.nationallungcancerpartnership.org/.

"Living with a Diagnosis of Lung Cancer" explains what lung cancer is and how it affects the body. Standard treatments, including surgery, radiation and chemotherapy, are discussed in detail along with their possible side-effects. The booklet also includes an extensive resources section with contact information for the many organizations that support cancer patients in various ways.

The booklet also outlines how to get a second (or third) opinion; how to be your own advocate and how to accept help from family, friends and support groups

I am sorry you ahd to find us and hope the test shows that you enver have to get to know us. IF I am wrong though, HTis is the best place to be for help Love and support from MAny survivors.

Guest hearrean

Thanks so much for everyones' words of encouragement & kindness. Well, one more day to go. I know I'll have a hard time sleeping tonight; I'll be going to MD Anderson (Houston) tomorrow morning for my initial consultation & the 1st test (PFT) & then returning the next day for the PET. I'll try my best to let everyone know what's up afterward although I wouldn't think I'd hear back from the docs on Friday (just one day after the PET). Again, thanks so much to everyone.....

Ken

I just wanted to let you know that what you're describing is pretty much the same course of events I had and the tests that were prescribed.

I'd also like you to know that more than 4 years have passed since my treatment, and I'm alive and well and feel really great.

It is entirely fitting for you to go into this with a lot of hope at this point. Easier said than done, I know that from my own experience with all this, but you can survive this.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Cindy