My dog just diagnosed...(updated 11/9)

teriw

I got a shock today. My Mrs. Dickens has been limping for a few days, and it became much worse this morning. I thought she had dislocated her hip. My sweet neighbors helped me take her to the vet. The vet completely shocked me when he got "that look" and said he suspected bone cancer in her hind leg. I just received the confirmation from the radiologist. She just turned 6 last week. She was a Christmas present from Bill, and has been an absolute angel. She's the most lovable and silly great dane ever. I have thanked God for her time and again, and have often wondered how I would have gotten through so far without her. I've been having meltdowns all day. I'm finally set to start work next week -- what timing! The vet about fell off his chair when I told him about Bill (I was fearing a meltdown might happen right there and wanted to warn him.) She is literally the only thing that makes this house feel like a home still. Then the way the vet was describing the cancer -- it was all so similar. They even had to do a chest x-ray on her. So far it has not spread. I'm so sad and in total shock. Thanks for listening...

((((( Teri )))))

I also had a dog that was diagnosed with bone cancer, but he was 12, much older than your Mrs. Dickens. I know you must be hurting on so many different levels. She is a connection to Bill for you, as well as being your companion and best friend. You have mentioned her so often in your posts and I know how much she means to you.

Has the doctor given you any treatment options? I know sometimes none of the choices are very good.

I am so very sorry you are having to go through this. Please let us all know how you both are doing. You have many friends here that understand and care.

Special hugs,

Tk

Thanks so much for all of your kind words. I have to talk with the vet again tomorrow, but it's not a good situation. I could manage her pain with meds, which she has now. I could have her leg removed, which would take the pain away and possibly extend her life (statistical guess at 6 months -- vet says dogs are like people, and there is no magic number -- gave me stories of two patients with very different outcomes). Or remove her leg and do chemo. I'm against giving her chemo, but I'm debating about the leg now that I read that it's actually done for quality of life. I've found a good discussion board and I'm going to talk to a few people. If anyone has any experience, I'm very open to hear what you have to say. Apparently dogs recover very quickly and do quite well after amputations-- it's the humans that have the problem with it. I don't know...

My niece and my little great niece brought her over a fluffy sqeaky toy, which she promptly ripped to pieces. That's my girl!

Teri, I'm sorry to hear about Mrs. Dickens.

I don't have any personal experience, but I, too, have heard that dogs can do quite well with only three legs. I just saw a picture last week of a man jogging with his dog. The dog was missing a hind leg. The man is a marathoner and the dog is his training partner.

I'm praying for you and Mrs. Dickens.

Teri,

I'm heartbroken to hear this, as I know how important pets are in my household. When I was a kid, we had a dog who had a leg amputated as a result of an accident. She did very, very well and lived a long life with 4 kids, running up and down steps, and didn't know she was any different than any other dog.

My sister's dog has mammary gland cancer and was diagnosed in the year following her own breast cancer diagnosis and treatment. She spent many $$$ that she couldn't afford to spend on surgery and treatments, and got about one more year. But, she felt better doing something.

I don't know what the right answer is,

Cindy

Teri:

When I read this, I got a small piece of the shock that I know has overwhelmed you. The idea of amputating a leg at first seemed abhorrent — we so want something in our lives that is still "whole." But after reading the other responses and thinking about the range of outcomes the vet mentioned, I believe that's the approach I would take. Mrs. Dickens is young enough to recover quickly, her lovable silliness will be intact, and she will probably adjust to her "new normal" with a speed we humans can only envy. Much Aloha,

Ned

Just wanted to say thank you again for your support. I made the decision to go with the operation and she goes in tomorrow. I was really struggling with it, and I felt that much needed nudge from Bill. "Keep it simple and give her the best shot you can." The vet has rearranged his surgery schedule to get her in, because he feels we've caught it early. And although statistically it is most likely already spread, there is that chance that it was caught in time. And I've now come around to the idea of the chemo -- again after researching and talking to people on a doggie cancer site much like this one. (Oddly enough, carboplatin is the main chemo used.)

Hugs,

Teri,

We will all be thinking of you and Mrs. Dickens tomorrow. Please let us know how she does with the surgery. Given her young age, I think you have made a good decision to give her the best chance for some more quality time with you. You both deserve that.

I'm glad you have found some support groups to help you through it. It always helps to hear from others who have faced the same situations, just like this group is so helpful to those of us who had to face lung cancer.

Take care.

Love and prayers for both of you.

Tk

I apologize, Teri, for not seeing this much sooner!!!!! Gosh, poor Mrs. Dickens. I'm hoping for the best. My last dog, Murphy, who looked much like the pic of Teddy here only golden in color and looked more collie like, was dx with doggie lymphoma. We actually traveled about 50 minutes to get him treatment. Fred took vacation to be with him for chemo for a whole week. I drove almost every Saturday for a couple of months for checkkups and bloodwork. I actually learned a lot about chemo from Murphy, so when it was my time, I was an expert!

Anyhow, the tx gave Murphy 2+ good years ~ great quality of life. When he started to decline we tried one more effort. The doc thought maybe she could pull him through. But We were never sorry we chose the tx for it afforded us that additonal time. I'd love to know about the dog site. Teddy has his paws crossed for Mrs. Dickens along with me ~ weel not my paws. Please let us know how things go.

And must mention that during the time we took Murphy for his tx's, we ran into more than one amputee and they were happy, healthy doggies. The appeared to have adapted amaingly well.

Kasey

Thanks everyone. Mrs. D. came through her surgery well. She's finally resting after her pain pills. She'll be in quite a lot of pain for a few days. She's already walking, ate her dinner, etc. I'll be camping out downstairs with her until she can come back upstairs with me.

Thanks for sharing your great story, Kasey. The main dog site I looked on is: http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/

With that site is a Yahoo message board you can join by permission from the owner.

Another inspirational and educational site that includes neat videos about 3-legged dogs is: http://www.tripawds.com/

I'll keep you all updated. Thanks so much...

Teri-I have not been on for quite some time. I signed on tonight and read your post and my heart sank. My 14 year old Akita had the same symptoms-limping-I thought he pulled a muscle-DX Bone Cancer-Your Sweet Ms Dickens is young still - they could either do chemo-or an amputation if you wanted it. My Akita was to old to do either but I did put him in a clinical trial for pain meds for a few weeks. Keep us posted and let us know what options you are given.

Dar