Not Good News

jaminkw

Well, I was shocked. Maybe I've gotten complacent but I believed this was going to be another good scan. It wasn't. I'm still in shock. Don't follow the advice of smart people and tape the session or have someone take notes so I can only give a rough summary. There is new and extensive metabolically active disease in the pleural lining of my left hemithorax that has appeared since my May 1, 2008 PET scan. There was also talk of some suggested involvement of a lymph node. I'm pretty out of it. My daughter (the nurse) will be driving up tomorrow to meet with us with the oncologist. The onc talked about docetaxel, docetaxel in a blind study with Aflibercept or Alimta as possible treatments.

She could see we were in shock and suggested we talk about it and come back tomorrow so we'll stay over another night. Any and all comments are appreciated but my gut is going with Alimta. It's a name that's familiar to me from here and cancergrace and I know I have a lot of friends who can share ways of dealing with side effects with me. I don't know it's a cake walk but reading the possible side-effects of the other two is terrifying.

Wish it were better news.

Judy in Key West

Judy I am so sorry to hear that news but I am glad that there is a back up plan for this.. Wish I coulld offer the advice but please know You are in my thoughts and specially some prayers tonight!! I know its hard to hear but hang in there!!(((((JUDY)))))

Boy, what a shock for you. Glad your daughter will be with you tomorrow. Waiting to hear what plan you decide on. I offer Prayers for you.

Donna G

DAMN!!!!

This is obviously not what we wanted for you - but I am saying extra prayers for you and I know you are a strong lady and will get through this latest bump.

Stay positive - give your worries to God -

((((((((((((Judy in Key West))))))))))))))))

prayers and peace - Janet

Oh my gosh Judy. I am so so sorry to read your update. Cancer just flippin' sucks!!! Big time!!! I am sure you are just in a state of shock right now and it will take a bit for this latest news to sink in. But you are strong and will get through it and on to treatment.

Many here have done well on Alimta. I don't recall hearing too many comments about doxitaxol (sp?) but I do know from my doc that it is a lot harder chemo to tolerate than alimta. So my gut would be to go with alimta as well.

Know my thoughts are with you as you negotiate this latest turn of events.

Fondly

Sandra

Wouldn't it be nice, Judy, if this LC road was nice and straight and led to the finish line (remission or better, if there is better). Unfortunatley it is full of twists and turns and bumps and ruts that get us off track in a heartbeat :? .That's one reason ~ among MANY others ~ that we just despise this disease and all it brings with it.

I have no wisdom to dispense or anything, really, of any help. All I know is that you are on top of everything and will SOMEHOW figure out the best plan of action and forge ahead with it. And while you are busy trying to get that done, all of us will be doing all we can from the sidelinesmto keep you going ~ and hopefully cheer you on to a positive resolution to this devastating news. We are all here to listen and prop you up!

Kasey

Judy, I am so sorry to hear this news today.

I don't have any information or advice concerning the treatments that you have been offered as my dad is not familiar with either one, but I would like to offer you a (((HUG))).

Thank you all for your well-wishes and support. When I told my husband I was up in the night answering email from lung cancer friends, he said then he was really glad I had the computer. That's big guys--he hates the d2m5 machines.

Most of you who know me can guess I'm already back on top. I may slip but somehow this one didn't devastate me. Stan says we were so devastated the first time, that after that it's kind of anti-climaxtic.

Dear Nurse Wendy went to the visit with us and after conferring by phone with my beloved PCP (I have his private cell phone number), the treatment will be Alimta. I had my b-12 shot, will start that--is it ascorbic acid?--my husband is getting at the drug store now, and decadron to take before and after to prevent rash.

The big thing for us was to not be travelling back and forth to the Keys (8 hrs each way) every three weeks like we did for a year. We have a flexible plan to leave me in the coach in Port St Lucie near my daughter. My husband can go work if he has work and she can see me the 2 1/2 hr drive to MDACC from her house if he can't be there. We really didn't ask the kids for much last time but my husband needs to do what little work the company still has left in this economic climate and it's going to have to be a family affair. If that gets tedious, then he can leave me here at the KOA near Orlando and my son will have to transport me to the Hospital. I know I should be able to do it myself and there was a time I would insist on it. No anymore. I know when I need help. I don't do big city traffic well at all.

Anyway, as we tell all our newcomers, when the treatment plan is in place, things just settle down.

Judy in Key West

Judy

I was so sad to read that the news was not what you expected or we prayed for. But then I read your last post and I felt better. Judy is back in fighting mode and will beat it back again. Girl, you know we are all here for you and backing you up in your fight all the way.

Judy,

I was very saddened to hear your news. It sure sounds like you have a really good attititude and a good plan, and even a back up plan. I am glad that you are asking for the help that you need.

My prayers are with you on your journey with Altima.

Hey there Judy. It is great to hear that you have a plan in place already. That is pretty quick action for all involved so you should be pleased with that. Things don't seem to move so quickly where I live.

And you are right. There is no way you should have to do any of this alone. I just hate big city traffic as well and you sure don't need that added stress on top of treatment.

Take good care

Sandra

Judy-

So sorry about the bad news. Certainly not what any of us wanted to hear. But I am glad you seem to be back in fighting mode already.

I was on Alimta for about 7 months. Other than some fatigue, it was a relatively easy chemo. You need to get the Vitamin B12 shot I believe every third chemo and its folic acid that you take daily since Alimta drains that from your system.

Hope Alimta is the magic bullet for you. Hey - you beat it once, you can do it again!!!!

Hugs - Patti B.

Judy, I was speechless reading your first post, in my short time on here I've read many of your positive posts, and when I got to the second post I felt like, This is the Judy I know. It's so funny how quickly you feel like you are getting to know someone in this community. Even in my face to face dealings I feel like this disease brings us all close so quickly. Maybe there is one good thing about it. Anyway I'm really happy you have plan and treatment options in place and have your positive attitute propping you up. I'm praying and pulling for you out here in the sticks.

God loves you all and so do I... Donny

Donny, thanks, and I agree with the way you feel about how close this disease brings us to other people. And it is especially true, I believe, how we connect with people who also have had or have cancer or who have been touched by it through the experience of loved ones. My husband has commented lately on what appears to be such good friends I've made in a relatively short time with people in my face-to-face group. And this bunch here--well that's a given.

Judy in Key

Judy,

I'm sorry to read this news. You know we will be here for you as you start your next round of treatment. Doesn't it make you just want to hit something? Think of the new drugs hitting--no beating the crap--out of the disease.

((((Judy))))

Susan