My Father is Gone

shellybug68

My father passed away on Tuesday at around 8pm. My sister had fortunately made it earlier Tuesday so we were both at his side when his body finally let go. I am glad he is no longer in any pain but still am feeling really lost without him. My life has an empty space in it now. I have been caring for him for the past eight months and it is very strange to not have him here anymore. Hospice was wonderful and I am glad my sister is still here to go through grief with me.

Oh Shelly...I am so sorry to hear of your Dad's death. Is there anything at all I can do for you? Hun, please try and find all the positives you can right now. I know that is very hard to do, but you can find a ray or two of sunshine if you look deep enough through all the clouds that surround you right now. I know Hospice thought there was a longer time frame involved, so for one..thank God he didn't suffer any longer than he did. I know that was a concern of yours! Also, as you said, be thankful that your sister arrived in time to see youd Dad.

How is your son doing? I know he and your Dad were very close. This is all so hard on these kids and at this age, they often have such a hard time expressing feelings verbally and keep everything deep inside.

Please keep my phone numbers and call me if you need to talk. Also, I'm only an hour away if you need me. So, so sorry.....Ann

Hi Shelly,

I'm so sorry. I'm running through the motions the same time you are. Please feel free to contact me. Although I'm glad my mom is not suffering anymore, I am still numb and can't believe my mom is gone. I know what you are going through. After the week my mom died, I was terribly burnt out. I took an extra week off from work and it helped. I slept in until 11:00 in the morning, which is so unlike me, but when I got back to work, which was this Monday, I felt like I gave myself enough time to recuperate and I feel the heavy weight lifted off my shoulders. Now I'm just sad...but its an okay sad.

Take care of yourself.

Shelly,

I am sorry to hear about your father's passing. It does sound like he was preparing for his transition from what you shared in your other recent post. My father-in-law went through similar. Now you are in that surreal state of loss. What I would share is that it is important to let yourself cry. My husband tried to be so strong for what seemed like a very long time and it affected his sleep in a big way. As soon as he finally took a moment to let it out, things changed. It has been 6 months now and I wouldn't say we are "through" it. Don't think it is possible. But I do think that as time goes on we find a special slightly tucked away spot in our heart for them and our grief, and when we need to we can get to that spot on a moment's notice. Don't hesitate to take hospice up on assistance with the grieving process. They've been very helpful for my mother-in-law and might have some ideas to help with your teenage son. I am so glad you have your sis there. Sisters are special.

Keeping you in prayer, dear~

Karen M.