COVID Vaccine anyone

Opal

Anyone care to share thoughts if you are not getting the Covid vaccine and why not.  

I'm still undecided as I look back 2 years ago starting Imfinzi treatment and was given a flu shot at my infusion appointment resulting in a horrendous rash head to toe. 

Opal: The best thing for you to do is to consult your oncologist. He is in the best position to give you a sound advise.  I took mine 2 days ago  because my oncologist told me to and so far so good. 

Well, I choose not to get it. I never got a flu shot in my life! I'm allergic to penicillin and acetaminophen, so I'm very sceptical of any of that stuff. I shouldn't be right 🤣 I had all kinds of crap chemo, immunotherapy, pain killers Lol! But my Dad died the day after he got a flu shot back in 1995, first time he ever got one 😭 so no I don't think so, not at this time.

Just my humble opinion 💟

Roseann

Roseann,

Based on what you shared I can understand your feelings.  I guess the question to answer would be; "which is worse, the vaccine or the virus?"  For my part I believe the virus would be worse and would not only affect me, but also those around me.  So my calculation is different.  I once had a severe reaction to a pneumonia vaccine and wound up in the emergency room, but that was an unusual thing for me.  I'll take the vaccine because I don't know how my lungs would hold up to covid and because without it I would never be able to visit memory care to see my wife in person (once we're both vaccinated and confirmed with antibodies). So for me the choice is clear and makes sense.

I hope your decision turns out to be the right one for you as well.

Lou

Some of the reported symptoms of the Covid virus is that it attacks your lungs, affects oxygen levels and respiratory system especially those with a weakend immune system. I guess I don't understand how getting the vaccine help?

Thank you Roseanne for sharing your humble opinion, and you too Lou. it is appreciated! 

Opal

6 hours ago, Opal said:

Yes there are those reports  in addition to  400,000 deaths and  millions infected. That does not scare me the most. What  does is the fear to  infect my wife, family ,friends and anybody I come close to. For that alone I will happily take my chance with the vaccine especially  under the guidance of my doctor.

Yeah, I guess it's just fear of the unknown. I will go with what my Doctors recommend. If I have a reaction, I hope it is not a bad one, If I don't I'll be very happy 😊 thanks everyone, for your valuable inputs, I'm just in no rush to get it Lol 😂

Here is a LUNGevity post with frequently asked questions about the Covid-19 vaccine for lung cancer patients: https://lungevity.org/news-blogs/blogs/covid-19-vaccine-and-lung-cancer-top-10-questions-answered?fbclid=IwAR3zxaost7xLhQ61wyvH6OWdrcJgpmhQWImfUwBeNCeIPIh1wywa0jbS6kI

BTW, my wife (who is in Memory Care) just got the Pfizer vaccine this past Monday she had pretty severe reactions to it.  Puffy face, redness, chills, body aches and breathlessness.  At one point they checked her for Covid because a week before another resident tested positive, but she was negative for the virus.  We did get her to our PCP and she said that the her level of reactions is rare but they still recommend that the receive the second shot because the reactions are not near as dangerous as Covid and with the increased transmission we're seeing lately, chances are always there for an infection.  I was able to do a window visit with her today and the symptoms have reduced by 80%.  She still has some puffiness and redness to her face, but the aches, chills and breathlessness has resolved.

I'm scheduled for mine on Feb. 24th and frankly can't wait.  This being careful all the time is tiresome, boring and frankly beginning to pis_ me off.  Perhaps as we get our shots we can post our experiences here.  For my part, I'm expecting some body aches (pretty common side effect) and a bit of fatigue, but that's better than what my (never-smoking, health conscious) son told me he went through for four days in the hospital with Covid.

Lou

Hi Lou and sorry to hear about your wife's reaction. Maybe one day they will determine which vaccine works best with which person. Please keep us posted and I hope she gets better soon.

Thanks everyone.  She is improving.  I believe that any vaccine can cause some reactions that can be severe, but that their benefits still outweigh the potential side-effects they can cause.  My wife is getting a bit better every day.  In her case it's hard to know what she is feeling because the disease has caused her to suffer from aphasia, so she can't really communicate well.

All that being said, I really encourage all of you to get the vaccine.  I do not want to hear the terrible news of anyone here passing from this virus.  I also mentioned the side-effects I expect because I've gotten them with simple flu vaccines and expect the same with this one.

Anyway, let's all get it so we can get the hell out of our homes again.  :)

Lou

On 1/24/2021 at 1:42 PM, LouT said:

Thanks everyone.  She is improving.  I believe that any vaccine can cause some reactions that can be severe, but that their benefits still outweigh the potential side-effects they can cause.  My wife is getting a bit better every day.  In her case it's hard to know what she is feeling because the disease has caused her to suffer from aphasia, so she can't really communicate well.

All that being said, I really encourage all of you to get the vaccine.  I do not want to hear the terrible news of anyone here passing from this virus.  I also mentioned the side-effects I expect because I've gotten them with simple flu vaccines and expect the same with this one.

Anyway, let's all get it so we can get the hell out of our homes again.  :)

Lou

Amen Lou

Tom, you and I need the anti-klutz vaccine. I realize COVID had to take priority, but if there were something available for the other, I'd be first in line to get it.

Hey, I want that anti-klutz vaccine too! I've been clumsy since childhood. With age (old age?!) it's more of a problem because falls are more likely to be dangerous. TJM- not drinking helps! Doesn't make me graceful though.

• 2 weeks later...

Opal-I’ve been told to get it by my oncologist but my pulmonologist said he doesn’t know because I’ve had anaphylaxis and have developed new allergies. I spoke to an immunologist who said not to get phizer or moderna, wait for the J&J or AZ.  I’m still investigating 

On 1/28/2021 at 5:57 PM, LexieCat said:

Tom, you and I need the anti-klutz vaccine. I realize COVID had to take priority, but if there were something available for the other, I'd be first in line to get it.

Just saw this GF. Funny

Barb, thanks for sharing that. Good to know. Maybe you will share what you learn in your search?  I have found it to be more difficult to get now then was anticipated. A few people I know in medical field had some side effects after the second shot. 

Thanks for info. 

Hi everyone 😃

Thanks for the updates, I too, Barb have anaphylaxis, penicillin and a most common one Tylenol which is acetaminophen, it's in everything. So I'm still waiting for everyone to get their shots first. A nurse where my daughter works has gotten her first and second shot of the vaccine, side effects were minimal, however she has now contracted the virus! So go figure! She was one of the first group of nurses at her facility to be vaccinated because she is a critical care nurse. So that does scare me too! 

Well, still a wait and see game for me. I wish everyone the best!

Have a wonderful day, Namaste 🙏

Roseann

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a little late to this discussion, but for what it's worth, my 99 YO father, who is extremely weak, has AFib, COPD, is on oxygen 24/7 and is allergic to penicillin, NSAIDs and a host of other medications (with anaphylaxis as a reaction), received both doses of the Pfizer vaccine. The nurse who administered the vaccine left an Epi-pen in case he had a reaction, but he did OK. He is in a small residential board and care home and the entire facility and staff were required to get the vaccine. Two weeks after I get my 2nd shot next week, I will finally be able to go inside to visit him. 

• 2 weeks later...

Barb, That's how I feel. Does the vaccine rev up immune system?  I don't want it revved more.  My joint and muscle pain that started mid Immuno infusion with Durva has gotten worse over last months. (I'm more then a year off Durva.) An adverse reaction that can start long after treatment has stopped. 

Just have to take a chance I suppose.

Opal, I didn’t know the joint and muscle pain could come back so long after treatment. Now I’m wondering if the sudden muscle spasms in my thighs are related. I’m sorry you’re dealing with it. I’m probably going to wait a long time to get the vaccine, the side effects scare me. 

Archived