NOT GOOD NEWS EITHER

karen335

Hi All,

Just got back from Nuerology Surgeon. It seems I have a tumor 1"x1" in the left side of brain. In the Ceribrelim (sp?) area. I have thre choices. 1. Take Decadron for swelling and do nothing, 2. do radiation and shrink then do surgery. 3. Have surgery and then radiation. If you have experienced any of this, please post and let me know. What are your opinions. They are so important to me. Praying for all of us and for a "CURE"...

Blessings and BIG HUGS from So. California.

Karen

Karen, I am sorry for the brain mets. I hope I could help you making decisions.

1) If you choose to take Decadron only without treatment, it will become bigger. Decadron is only to treat brain swelling, not the tumor itself. Moreover, long-term Decadron will lower your immune system. So I do not suggest this.

2) Radiation then surgery. I don't know whether "surgery" is the stereotactic Radiosurgery. If this surgery means Stereotactic Radiosurgery, then this method is possible because Stereotactic Radiosurgery / Gamma Knife is an invisible knife to have similar effect, but it can only be done on small size tumor and only with one tumor found. But since you said your tumor is 1" x 1", I just wonder why radiation first as the tumor size should be okay for radiosurgery. Some buddies here tried this kind of surgery, I don't know much on this.

3) Surgery then Radiation. The same question as above. What does "Surgery" mean? "Craniotomy"?? I know this is quite normal procedure to treat brain tumor. Usually craniotomy first then whole brain radiation to prevent micrometastatsis and relapse.

Hope this helps. You have to ask the neurosurgeon more for decisions.

Karen

If it were me, I would get that sucker outta there pronto! I mean like yesterday! I am glad that they are offering you surgery to remove it, so many others have multiple tumors and it isn't an option. These brain mets seem to grow incredibly fast, so I would urge you to move on it quickly. Let us know your decision

janet

Thank you all so very much,

Berissa, I will ask the questions that you proposed. I didn't think to ask him today. I just found out today and wasn't sure what to ask him. That is why I knew my friends here would have good advice. How is your father doing. He is in my prayers every day. Thank You so much...

Ry, Cheryl, Mo, Dean and Janet. Thank you so much for your prayers and thoughts. I really appreciate your support.

Andrea, Thank you too for your prayers and as far as symptoms. I became dizzy and had nausea. It was as if my equalibrium was out of balance. I at first thout it was inner ear infection. We were in the RV in Parker, AZ week-end before last and I was really sick. Went to LaPaz Hospital ER and they did CT and said I either had a small stroke or a mass. Go see my nuerologist when I get home, so I did. He did an MRI and this is what the results were. He wants to do the surgery in 2-1/2 weeks. Thank God it's only one mass. The surgery will be at Riverside Community Hospital. Radiation treatment will be done by City of Hope in Riverside. How is your mom doing? Congrats on her surgery and the Path report. This is really good news. Andrea, your mom can be "CURED". What a blessing...

Dean, You are not off the hook. Dinner before all this surgery stuff happens. I'll call you tomorrow, Thursday 3-18. I want to see that scooter. 8) I love the color. I'm bringing the truck. :mrgreen: Thank you so much...

Blessings, prayers and big hugs from So. California,

Karen

Thank you all so very much,

Berissa, I will ask the questions that you proposed. I didn't think to ask him today. I just found out today and wasn't sure what to ask him. That is why I knew my friends here would have good advice. How is your father doing. He is in my prayers every day. Thank You so much...

Ry, Cheryl, Mo, Dean and Janet. Thank you so much for your prayers and thoughts. I really appreciate your support.

Andrea, Thank you too for your prayers and as far as symptoms. I became dizzy and had nausea. It was as if my equalibrium was out of balance. I at first thout it was inner ear infection. We were in the RV in Parker, AZ week-end before last and I was really sick. Went to LaPaz Hospital ER and they did CT and said I either had a small stroke or a mass. Go see my nuerologist when I get home, so I did. He did an MRI and this is what the results were. He wants to do the surgery in 2-1/2 weeks. Thank God it's only one mass. The surgery will be at Riverside Community Hospital. Radiation treatment will be done by City of Hope in Riverside. How is your mom doing? Congrats on her surgery and the Path report. This is really good news. Andrea, your mom can be "CURED". What a blessing...

Dean, You are not off the hook. Dinner before all this surgery stuff happens. I'll call you tomorrow, Thursday 3-18. I want to see that scooter. 8) I love the color. I'm bringing the truck. :mrgreen: Thank you so much...

Blessings, prayers and big hugs from So. California,

Karen

Karen,

I am glad we "talked" tonight. I don't know the answer to what you should do, but I will keep you in my thoughts that you come to an answer you feel is best. Thank-you, my friend for all your kind words and remember that so many here care for you.

Elaine

Dear Karen,

I am so sorry to hear this news. Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers.

When the nsclc was diagnosed in Sam's supraclavicular node, the plan was to first remove the node and then follow with radiation and chemo. While the surgeon hope to remove the node and leave "clean margins", radiation to that area would treat any cancer cells left at the site. Then, chemo would take care of any circulating cancer cells. As we know, treatment should be individualized, as well as appropriate.

Wishing you happy, healthy days ahead.

God bless us all.

Sam'swifeShirley

I have no personal experience But I pick door #3. Get it out sounds good to me, followed by radiation. I have taken care of people who have had brain surgery, and it seems to me not as big a deal as chest surgery as long as you have a good surgeon. Never had anyone complain of "pain" afterwards. We just watched to make sure they didn't "leak" or show any signs of increased intracranial presure , usually were transfered out to the floor in a day. We have several in our local support group that have had total brain radiation because they had SCLC , they are a couple of years out, joke about it but generally are no the worse for the wear. Let us know what you decide. Donna G

Karen,

I don't know if you remember, but my dad had Gamma Knife in Jan 2002, he had three tumors and all three were treated with the gamma knife. The nerosurgeon said that he has treated up to as many as 5 tumors with gamma knife, and that the size can't be more than 4cm, but that the tumors could be shrunk with radiation first, than the gamma knife could be done. The nerosurgeon also said that where in the brain the tumor is dosn't matter, but size, number of tumors and shape are factors to determine whether GK is possible. I hope that this was of help to you. My dads tumors were 3cm, 2cm and almost 1cm at the time of his first MRI, and when the MRI was done on the day of the GK, they hadn't grown, which was really good news.

If you want me to check back to my orig. post last year when Dads brain mets were found, I will do that and let you know where in the archive they are, it might be more informative, since it has been over a year since it happened.

If there is any info. I could help you with, please let me know, and I will do my best to be of help to you. In the meantime, try not to get too far ahead of yourself and let us know what is going on. You are in my thoughts and prayers, Deb

Karen,

I am so sorry to hear of this setback but know that that is what it is. You will get through this just like before.

Am thinking of you every day and sending tons of good wishes....

Karen,

I'm sorry I missed this when you first posted it. I thought this thread of General was closed. I don't remember reading this before now.

I'm sorry to hear about the brain met, but I have faith in you, my Friend, to do well with treatment. I'm with the others...if it were me I would opt for removal followed by radiation.

Wishing you well, and WELL!

Hi All my dear Friends,

I haven't been on for a couple of days. Trying to catch up, sorry I haven't responded. Thank you so much for the support and all of the information. I have opted for Door #3. This sounds like the best. I don't have a date of surgery yet. Waiting on all the insurance approval. You know all the red tape stuff. I do already have an appointment with a new Radition Oncologist on Wednesday. He is from the City of Hope Cancer Institute here in California. I told the Nuerosurgeon last Wednesday that I refuse to go to the same one who radiated me too much. I had approval and appt on Thursday morning. It's amazing what gets done when you have control of your situation and have good doctors...

As many of you have said knowledge is power. It's sad when first diagnosed we don't have a clue or it seems time to research for answers. Everything is in such a fog. I was just moving emotionless and scared. Not anymore. That is why this Forum is so important to all of us (Thank you Rick, Katie & Estrella) I can only express this site has been a real blessing to me. The knowledge, experience, and caring is so beautiful and just gives you a feeling of confidence and we are all able to keep a positive attitude and we are all "Survivors"...

Again, thank you all,

Blessings, prayers and HUGE hugs from Me to you...

Karen