Duke of Earl - Chapter 67 - The Radiation Oncologist

ginnyde

For those that have been following our story, our onc. told us last Wed. that the Temodar was not working and, 1. he told me there were no options left, just hospice but 2. he told Earl that some more whole brain radiation was an option.

We met with the radiation onc. this morning because Earl wants to take whatever treatments are available. Well here is the rad. onc. story.

The tumors from the April MRI appear to either have remained the same or maybe even have shrunk and the new tumors are just specks. Our daughter looked at the films and it looks like there are about 6 lesions and he neurological function does not seem impacted.

His suggestion: continue on the Temodar, get a new MRI in 7 weeks and see me in 8 weeks. A lot more positive than the onc. Of course, if we see anything change, get to them immediately.

If the next MRI shows increases, then we consider stereotatic?? or whole brain radiation.

This is so much better than we expected. What an emotional relief.

Now, we get back home and Earl almost collapses going up the 3 steps from the garage to the house. It took me and our daughter to hold him up and get him into the house. He is so tired and so weak. The doctor gave us an Rx for a hospital bed because of the trouble we have getting him upstairs to bed, but Earl is resistent to this right now.

Thank you for all of your prayers, you guys definitely have a direct line to God.

Guest bean_si (Not Active)
Thank you for all of your prayers, you guys definitely have a direct line to God.

And we're on it all the time. :) Thank gosh we have unlimited usage. :lol: I'm so happy to hear that things are looking better.

Cat

Great news--even better than last week's news!

Also Ginny: There is a recent post in new treatments about an antibiotic --biaxin that has been through trials in Japan, ( I think) that is supposed to be an anti-Cachectic for late stage lc patients. It doesnt really treat the tumor but does help the fatigue etc associated with cachetia (sp). You might want to ask your onc for a precription for it. Geoff's mom is taking it. There are links on his post that explain it much better than I have just done. But the bottom line is that the med extends life and quality of life.

elaine

Ginny,

This is a much better post than last week's. It does sound like the Temador is working, especially if the lesions look like they have shrunk. Prayers for Earl to continue getting better and to gain his strength back. What about Procrit shots and maybe iron vitamins for the strength. Please keep us posted. You and Earl are always in my prayers,

God Bless and hugs,

Karen

Oh happy day...I'm so glad to read this Ginny...as you sound SO much better! And with that hopeful news....well you should! :D

Now...if there was just some way to find a little strength for the Duke. Can you ask about options on that count? You said his appetite was pretty good...so there must be something he can take or eat that might help his strength some...hmmm?

Now you have a new plan in place...with hope as a part of that plan....and I'm so glad for both of you that there are options. Next...some strength for Earl and getting that twinkle back in his eye, eh? :wink:

I'm so glad to hear that things are looking up...proves that you just have to hang in there, just as you're doing. I know, psychologically, that the hospital bed must seem like a tremendous step BACKWARD to Earl but, perhaps, somehow you can persuade him that it's not. If the onc. doesn't have suggestions for medications to help with strength, do you think the radiologist might? Or perhaps you can talk again to the oncologist and get him to rethink things through a bit....

Thinking of the two of you and hoping everything keeps improving!

Ellen

I agree, the hospital bed sounds like a great idea if you can get Earl to go along with it. My father was getting to the point of not being able to get to point A to point B without tons of help and chose to stay in his recliner for a night instead of going to his bed. We got a hospital bed the next day (had it set up in my parents living room) after we discovered a large hematoma on his backside from sitting too long in one position. Seeing the sore was just devastating to me, and I know if we'd had a hospital bed sooner along with instruction on how to turn him from side to side every few hours, it would have been prevented. It was also much easier to take care of him and sit close to him with the bed. I could tell just by looking at him after we got him all settled in bed w/ clean, soft sheets, and a clean soft hospital gown that he felt much more comfortable.

I'm glad things are looking up a bit for you both. My thoughts are with you.