Duke of Earl - Chapter 70 - Hospice Week 1

ginnyde

Today marks one week that Earl has been home under hospice. The hospital bed is in the family room and he is the center of our world.

The hospice health aide comes in daily to attend to his personal needs. The nurse comes in about every 5 days, I thought it would me more often. I have hired a terrific LPN who comes for 5 hours on the days I work. Our daughters take over after she leaves until I get home.

Earl has no pain. His appetite is fine. His cognitive thinking is great. He has been coughing more than before but the biggest problem is weakness, unbelievable weakness. We have been getting him up into his recliner each day to give him a change of scenery. He is an excellent patient.

I sleep on the couch next to him and I get up more often during the night than he does. I am having a short procedure tomorrow at the hospital so I am having more help tomorrow and hopefully over the weekend.

This is the hardest thing I have ever done. My eyes are always floating in tears. Earl told hospice he gets very sad when he sees me cry since he can't do anything to help. See he always looks out for me. So we all try very hard to not cry, to talk about normal things alot and to keep his spirits up.

I love you all and so appreciate your kind words of support and caring.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ginny,

You and Earl are always in my thoughts and prayers.

I hope things go well for you today.

It is heartbreaking to watch our loved ones go like this. We try not to cry.

Randy was the same way with me crying...it seemed like as soon as I was out of his sight the floods came on. That way I could be with him and not cry in front of him.

My heart goes out to you all. I wish there was more I could do.

Much love,

Shirleyb

Ginny,

All is well, for you and Earl, as far as the

hospice is concerned.

It is hard to keep smiling for Earl, and hide your tears,

when your heart is breaking.

But it is necessary for both of you.

Prayers are always on the way for both of you.

Hugs

J.C.

Hi Ginny

I am glad to hear that things are going well at home and that Earl is not in any pain.

I do so admire your strength in dealing with this, and at the same time you show such caring and compassion for other members of this community who are also having a difficult time.

I am thinking of you both.

Karen

Oh Ginny,

I sit here with tears in my eyes. I am so sorry for what both of you are going through. The mutual love came through in your post. I teared up when I read about Earl feeling helpless unable to cheer you up when you had tears in your eyes. What can I say? I'm so sorry.

Thoughts and prayers to you both.

Gail

Ginny,

It was not possible to read your post without tears. This is such a difficult chapter...all those emotions right on the surface. The compassion, understanding and love shine through and it is wonderful to know that Earl is out of pain and surrounded by love. I hold you close during this time and always.

Margaret

Ginny,

I'm sorry your Earl is so weak. Glad to hear he has an appetite, are you bringing home favorites as take-out occassionally? Still having meals together? Try some candlelit dinners so if the tears sneak out, he doesn't see them AND you have some romance for both of your souls...

My thoughts are with you, Ginny, not sure where I put my thoughts, but they're with you...

xxoo,

Becky

Ginny,

I am so sorry that you and Earl are going through this. May God be with you and bless you with the strength that you will need. You have a wonderful husband who loves you and he has a beautiful wonderful wife. You both are both blessed.

My prayers are with you both.

TAnn

Hi Ginny, {{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}

I am so sorry that you and Earl and the rest of your family have to go through this. Your posts sound so much like my mom when she would call me and give updates about my dad. I pray each day for you and everyone else on this board. God Bless you!

Angela