WHEW

Debi

Or should I say Will the Real Hypochondriac Please Step Forward??? :oops:

Had xrays taken of my chest and my ribs Monday because I have been having recurrent pain. (Dont get this confused with the brain MRI I had a few months back because I had double vision :shock: ) The doctor FINALLY called today with the results (yeah, so patience ISN'T one of my virtues) and said that all looks okay. I will follow up with a bone scan but the doctor told me that an xray would most likely show if I had mets to my ribs.

Anyway, my back, right side and under my breast have stepped up a notch from uncomfortable to pretty uncomfortable, that is the reason I went to see the doctor. About a month ago, I stopped sleeping on my right side again because it hurt. I feel like I'm regressing .. it took me 6 months to be able to sleep on that side, now all of a sudden I can't. My side and directly under my breast is sore to the touch and feels like it is swollen. But it always has been to a degree.

The doctor gave me 2 needles, one a steroid, the other a muscle relaxer and it has taken the edge off a bit. I am continuously in a state of self doubt.. has the uncomfortability actually gotten worse or have I recently become more in tuned to it?? Has it always been this way and I am just going through a paranoia stage?? Are nerves still reconnecting and the feeling changing? Or is there really something wrong and I need to keep pursuing it??

Anyway, I guess I'm not looking for answers as much as just venting. I am glad that these xrays were negative but am feeling rather pathetic...

Debi,

I'm having trouble remembering the specifics, but I do recall that somewhere around 7-9 months after surgery, I was having strange, zinging pains in and under my right breast, near the rib cage. Like you, I was understandably freaked out and during my f/u appointment with the surgeon I mentioned this pain. He told me that the nerve endings in there that get cut take a LONG time to regenerate and what I was feeling was most likely pain from the nerves sparking back to life. Sure enough, another month or so later, it subsided. (However, it is STILL numb and last month I had another bout of strange "ow, what was that" type moments, but they have passed as well)

I recalled reading a post on here about this same issue a while back, I'll try to find it because several people responded with their experiences.

FOUND IT -- http://lchelp.com/community/viewtopic.p ... =exquisite

Debi,

I think a little paranoia is probably good. Many times we ignore aches and pains just because. But once we know that we are mortal and we can get sick, we start to pay much more attention to our bodies.

I would get the bone scan. Peace of mind is a wonderful thing. But I bet Heather is right, that the nerves are finally waking up.

Love,

:lol::lol:

If it makes you feel better:

I had an abcess in my gum, and momentarily wondered if I now had cancer in my gums. :lol::lol:

Briefly ignore the fact that I have had bad teeth and gums forever!!!

Sometimes I wonder what I would worry about if . . .

gail

PS My surgery side, I've decided, will forever be uncomfortable

Oh, Debi, I understand how you feel and I hate when I get into those thoughts too. I would be willing to bet that:

1)it's always been this way and right now you're just experiencing some paranoia

2)you strained something and didn't even realize you did it and then it got sore and you're not making the connection between the event and the soreness that followed.

3) you've got some nerves trying to regenerate in there.

May all of your tests be negative......do you think maybe going on Celebrex or Vioxx could be helpful? They are both for pain and besides that they're Cox2 inhibitors and may suppress tumor activity. I take Vioxx every day for both reasons.......probably it helps me most emotionally.

Good luck, I'll be thinking positive thoughts for you....

Cindy

Get your pathetic butt to Michigan! We will make you forget all your aches and pains. Ok ok seriously, I am glad the x-rays are fine. You probably pulled a muscle picking up a phone at work when you should have been partying with us in Michigan. :P

Hi Debi,Glad the x-rays turned out ok.We're about in the same time line from surgery and I also have been having alot of pains in the area where lung was removed(my heart is now over there)and in my right side where remaining lung is.Just had 3 month ct and was told other than small minor amt of fluid not to worry.(YA RITE DOC).WE must both have pulled muscles or something.Hope we both wake up painless right.

Debi,

Get it checked out. Will your insurance pay for a PET scan also? I think the only way you are going to have complete peace of mind is to get the tests done. I doubt that the pain is paranoia. I'm sure it's very real pain, and probably just what Heather described. But, in any case, get it checked out because you'll feel better.

Love,

Peggy

Debi: I have not been here in months. Ayway, be of good heart. It is just the nerve thing I bet. Still, chase it down with tests as you have been doing.

I had an upper left lobectomy last January and have had one checkup. My next one is due in a few weeks. Recently I thought I had noticed a decline in my aerobic capacity and fretted it a bit. I figure worrying a bit is to be expected. I have not noticed any nerve pain, but I guess it is a bit too early if 8 months is the threshhold.

Hi Debi, I went through the same thing and had it checked quite a few times. It's three years now and I still get bouts of pain in that area. I don't worry about it anymore. I'm sure its the nerves, muscles and whatever else is in that area. Actually, once I accepted that it wasn't anything serious, the pain didn't seem so bad. I can deal with the pain, the fear is what I have to fight. Microwavable heat packs were a great help to me. Unfortunately, now I am addicted to them. :)

Well, Debi, I think you're pathetic!

I can't IMAGINE why you would freak over pain like that...LOL...you putz! No one else on this earth would EVER be as skittish as you are over every little ache and pain...

Now that I've said that...

Pain around the owie site - just get it through your head that it will NEVER be "normal" again. It's going to be a pain in your side for the rest of your life, just to varying degrees. I'll bet that when the tenderness and swelling finally ease, you'll be able to detect weather changes by the feeling in your ribs!

Hell no, I don't think you're paranoid. Last trip for the oncologist, I had an added bone scan due to shoulder pain AND a brain CT & MRI due to this damn brain melting... All clear (well, DUH on the brain scan being "clear" - I'm beginning to think it should come back "empty"!).

You are fine...and then there's always that slim chance it IS something. Heck, maybe not the critter you are thinking, but something like...um...I'm thinking here....Lyme disease? Ricketts? Polio? A common flippin' cold?

ANYHOW - glad those tests came out clear. Seems like your doctor is like mine, if there's a slim chance there's "something" going on, it's off to the lab-or-a-tory for more tests...

Hang in there girl, you ain't crazy, you've been burned before! (...and remember, that early stage you had DIDN'T HURT and you didn't know it was there!)

xxoo,

Becky

Ok, there it is--that's it. Becky said the words that keep us early stagers on the edge of our chairs all the time. We've been burned before--it didn't hurt then, we didn't know it was there, so NOW when something does hurt, we're like, well gee, look how serious things were when we didn't know anything was wrong. It must be a disaster now that I'm feeling some pain!!!!!!

I know, I'm there on the edge of my chair all the time now over this. Total and complete lack of confidence in my health--where before I was probably just like every 40 something in good health--thought life would go on forever, or at least another 40 or 50 years. After all, didn't we have that right?

I've been blindsided twice now by cancer. Went for a routine mammogram, then the phone calls started. I didn't feel a lump, didn't have a lump, never had a lump, but still it was cancer. THank God I went for that mammo when I did and also thank God I kept with my follow-ups because it was only my breast surgeon who suggested I get that chest x-ray. Again, no symptoms except a smoker's cough that always went away if I cut back on the smokes.

So, how in the he** are we supposed to carry on and have any sort of confidence when we weren't having problems and all of a sudden, surgery, chemo, oncology and radiation are everyday words with us. I remember driving up to the Center for Advanced Medicine last year thinking, how can I possibly feel this good and be needing the services of these people? Less than a month later I was laying in the hospital across the street in INTENSIVE CARE after surgery!!!!!!! What a shock that is, but again, I'm preaching to the choir here--we all know too well how this feels.....

Just ranting, my friends, I'm sorry--

Debi, girlfriend, get all those tests--anything to help get some sleep at night. I think you're fine--I don't think the site where we had our incisions is ever going to be the same again and varying degrees of pain will always come and go.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Cindy

Becky and Cindy, I think you hit the proverbial nail on the head. I was never sick a day in my life, never even had surgery except when I was a kid to get my tonsils out and then all of a sudden, not just a brick falls on my head but an entire building. Sometiems I feel like my life now belongs to somebody else, especially when I am turning into the Cancer Care Center for my 3 month checkups. The Cancer Care Center?? How can I be going there?? It just is so surreal sometimes.

I know that this isn't just about me and that you all have had the same thoughts. That's what makes this board work so well.. no matter what someone says, there are always people there to identify and help.

Thanks to all of you for making me feel better as only you guys can, thank you Hebbie for digging around to find that old post and thanks Ry for being as sympathetic as always :wink::lol::lol:

Sorry Debi , I hope the pain becomes more tolerable for you otherwise how will you ever get Oklahoma's first indoor toilet?

I have to agree with Ry if you came up here to MI we could help you forget about the pain. I'm pretty good at making people lauigh in person too. Heck we might even be able to get you a job up here . How bout a used car salesman?

Just know that we love ya and care about ya up here. David A

Hi Debi

It has been one year and one week and 2 days since I had my surgery (but who's counting :P ) I, too, still have a pulling sensation on my right side and under my breast. Some days I can wear a bra comfortably and other days I can't stand it and off it goes. I did have a 2 week period where I had no discomfort at all (thought that was the end of it). My onc also said it is the nerves regenerating and could go on for a few years with the discomfort coming and going. I had VATS surgery done and sometimes the big incision feels swollen and the others feel itchy. I agree that you should have your bone scan done for peace of mind.

EileenM

Guest bean_si (Not Active)
The Cancer Care Center?? How can I be going there?? It just is so surreal sometimes.

I don't know how I miss this thread.

Debi, you hit the nail on the head in describing the feeling - surreal. "Maybe I'm someone else today because this can't be me walking into the Cancer Center."

Cat

Hey Deb,

It is perfectly normal to be feeling these changes as things heal.

It is also perfectly normal to be absolutely alarmist and think somethings wrong. It's conditioning... it's going to take a while to get over that, I'm not sure one ever gets completely over it. I haven't.

Glad you're okay...

XOXOXOXOXOX

Prayers always,

MaryAnn

Deb-

My heart goes out to you because intermittently I mirror your feelings exaxtly: the anxiety, the worries, the hypochondria, the-other-shoe-dropping syndrome, etc., etc., etc.

Glad you are having things checked out...I used to ignore every health problem, but no longer.

2 1/2 years out from my lobectomy and still having "zinging" under the breast, weird feelings in my armpit, and vague chest pains even though the CT scans have been good. Hang in there, but keep after things just for peace of mind.