In Desparate Need of Prayers

Elaine

If truth be told, one of the reasons I did not choose treatment was financial, plus I feared my husband would lose his job if the small company he worked for had to pay increased insurance premiums.

My Dx was done mostly outside of the system-- so that I would not have to tell anyone. We paid for over 75% of what little I have had in the way of medical treatment, which was mostly diagnositc.

Three weeks ago, when I clearly had become ill, my husband told his employer since it was clear he would be needing some time off in the days to go with me to appointments. I was aghast that he told them. But he said that both his boss (owners son in law) and the president of the company (owners daughter) had each come to him and said that they would do anything they could and to just ask for what we needed.

Today he was let go. We know the owner made that decision as neither the daughter and son in law truly make any major decisions. The owner is anti-smoking, though many, many of the 100 plus workers do smoke--

The company is down in sales this year by over 50 per cent, though this is the first year my husband surpassed his own quota of 1.6 million--he sold 3.5 million thus far this year. We were hoping that his commission, which just begain to trickle in last month would help pay for meds for me, since we had no prescription coverage.

I am devastated and frightened beyond belief. My husband is in his mid fifties. The place he worked at before this closed down and it took him nearly a year to find employment (and at nearly half of what he had previously made), so we know it is not easy to find work at his age.

Please keep my husband in your prayers, too. Outside of his fear about my illness, I have never seen him so crushed.

I don't even know who would hire someone with a wife with cancer.

elaine

Elaine, I am so very sorry to hear this news, you will be in my prayers as always and now your dear husband. This is just unbelievable to me and people just never cease to amaze me at the things they can do to others and still look at themselves everyday.

You dont deserve this and i again am so very sorry, but there

there as to be a answer.

God Bless you

Kim

OH NO! OH NO! OH NO!!!! Oh, dear, Elaine. There is nothing I can say to make this feel any better. You are my friend, I love you, and I am so upset for you.

Dear Father in Heaven,

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, help Elaine and her husband!! PLEASE! Take away their fear, remove their pain, give them solutions to their problems, and cover them with your love and protection.

In Jesus name,

Amen

The answers are on their way!

Love,

Peggy

Peggy said it all so well. I, too, am just appalled that this has happened. I would spring for some legal advice. There are discrimination laws but I am not sure how big the company has to be before they apply. I suppose Cobra will be offered, if that will help? What the heck, know anybody with the local newspaper? I just cannot believe this happened. I am so sorry. Margaret

Oh Elaine

This makes me so angry. It never ceases to amaze me how cruel people can be and how stupid. The amount your health coverage would raise their premiums is nothing compared to what a lawsuit will do to their liability insurance preminums. Please talk to an attorney about a wrongful discharge suit.

I wish you all the best. I am so sorry this happened, you don't deserve this.

Elaine,

I am so sorry to read this. I wish you lived closer. I'd give you a great big hug. People are so cruel. Listen to what Ry said about getting an attorney. Lot's of prsyers coming your way. If you want to talk, just PM your number to me and I can call you...

God Bless and hugs,

Karen

This makes my blood boil. How dare that selfish person do this to your family. I'm too mad right now to even think straight, but I do think the advice to see an attorney is good.

Just had a thought - I'll PM you, Elaine.

Love and prayers and fortitude to you, my friend.

TeeTaa

Elaine,

I can't believe the horror tale you must be living right now. By all means seek an attorney. Your husband was way ahead of quota and should have been commended instead of fired. There has to be something you can do about this legally. Cobra is available but I don't know for how long or how much. I think you contact your insurance commissioner for that.

You have always been in my prayers but I will say lots of extra ones for you now. I am so sorry to hear all of this. PM me if I can help in any way.

Nina

Elaine...this sucks. I'm really sorry. :(

I think looking into legal options is a good idea. On what grounds did they let your hubby go? They would have to have something documented to justify it, and if he was producing and they hadn't discussed any *problems* with him...then what were their grounds?

Get some legal advice!

They told him that the company was having financial problems. He asked if it was performance related--three times and Steve said no.

They paid him out to the end of the year.

He has never had any "problems" discussed with him let alone put in writing.

Who couldnt help but think of this as being related to me?

What kind of person could do such a thing?

elaine

Un-fricken-believable!! :evil:

But, then again, nothing like this really surprises me anymore; and that's truly sad.

My heart goes out to you and your husband, really & truly.

But, I agree with the many others who suggest you run, not walk, to an attorney....if only for a (free) consultation. My gosh, there has to be some remedy.....if not monetary, then at least getting his job back (though I don't know if i'd want to work there again; but sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do).

On the bright (?) side, maybe at this point you may be able to qualify for state-funded health insurance? Here in MA, we have MassHealth, which is basically free care, including all tests and prescriptions.......

I'm rambling, I know, but I just feel so bad for you guys......wish I could just reach out and give you a hug and tell you everything's gonna be OK....

Keep the faith, Elaine.....and keep us posted.....we care

Mary

Elaine,

I am just sick by the thought that your husbands company would do something as dreadful as they did. I agree with many of the others here that you should seek an attorney's advice and file with the State you live in for wrongful termination.

Many prayers are going out to you. Stay strong and know that we are all here to offer whatever support we can!

Hugs,

\

CathyR

Elaine,

I am so very sorry. That just really sucks. How could anyone treat another person like that????

As you know, he is under no obligation to tell a potential employer about your illness. Can we ask, what type of work he does? Maybe the people here on this board can help put out "feelers" for him. Are you willing to move?

Sending you both TONS of prayers.

Elaine,

I join in the prayers for this situation to turn over to your

advantage and soon.

I know nothing of the Insurance situation in the States, but

I fought our private health insurance and the Provincial

insurance and won. Both were obliged to pay for the medication

that my husband required during the last year.

It surely gave him a boost.

So how about getting all the information first and facing them

for a written answer and proceed from there.

Good vibes on the way.

J.C.

Elaine,

This is just a very sad commentary on how cruel some people can be. I often wonder how these people put their head down on a pillow each evening and can have a restfull sleep.

I know right now you are going through so much with your illness, but I do agree with everyone that it is important to seek legal counsel. This is not acceptable and should be brought to someone's attention immediately. I will continue to pray for you and your husband that God gives you the strength to continue in your fight. Much Love, Sharon

Elaine,

I 100% agree with everyone else - this really stinks and you really need to talk to an attorney.

Also,

1. What about social security disability for you. After 2 years of eligibility you can get Medicare - they may go back to date of dx.

2. Compassionate use from the pharmaceuticals for free drugs

3. Add old age discrimination to your husband's lose of job.

This stinks, this stinks, this stinks and, oh by the way, I think this really stinks.