My Mom

OK, my Mom has Stage IV colon cancer - spread to her liver once, tumors in colon and liver removed last summer, she started chemo then had to stop to get a huge hernia repaired on her colon surgery incision. so she had to stop chemo for three months.

so, she started back up and has had two chemo treatments. she had a chest/ab ct scan on Monday and today we saw the onco doc (Dave's onco doc as well) and she now has more mets in her liver.

we kinda expected that, but it's disappointing. my mom can barely tolerate the lowest dose of chemo, she can't tolerate hardly any drugs . . . now this. She's 72 and doesn't have the fight in her that Dave has.

Guess I'm just whining a little. Sometimes I feel like I'm living in a bad dream.

Just hope like heck Dave's brain MRI on Monday shows him to be empty headed . . .

KC

I am so sorry to hear the bad news about your Mother---

I am really hoping you get good news from David's MRI---you are overdue for some good news for a change!

best wishes,

What a bummer. Last summer, my a/c went kaput, and I called the guy who comes around twice a year to service the unit. I was just out of the hospital, NOT needing a/c troubles at all, but there ya go. The guy that works on it is barely pushing 40, and was diagnosed with colon cancer just before I found out about my cancer. Double bummer.

He had no insurance, and had to sell just about everything he had to pay for his chemo. The "not for profit" place he goes here wouldn't give him the chemo without the money up front, so he was having to work like a demon while having chemo, just to keep up.

He and his wife have 2 young children, and it broke my heart that he has to fight cancer at such a young age, and right in the middle of his life too. Now, with 8 months under my belt, I know that it doesn't matter what age you are when stricken with cancer - it's a scourge and a beast no matter what. My mom is 91 -- tell your mom that my mom would consider her a young sprout! :P

My very best to your mom while she fights this awful disease.

Di

Karen~

We have a friend that had colon cancer and was given approximately 2 months to live because it had gone to his liver. He went for a second opinion at the University of Michigan hospital. They put in a line that pumps chemo to his liver and he is still here almost 3 years later. He feels good so the chemo must not be too harsh.

Maybe there are other options for your mom.

Oh no, I can't believe what your under. I wish I could come up with some magic phrase that would open the clouds you seem to be walking under and make a smile come to your face.

Moms are wonderful special people in a daughters life and when they are sick, it just tears the soul out of you.

All my prayers to her and you

First of all - Andrea - yes, I love the new photo!

Ry - you know, we discussed getting her the line thing - it's actually an infusion pump that's installed into the artery that leads to the liver. That was discussed with the liver surgeon when he was getting ready to take out the first liver met (which we thought/hoped was the only one). My mom resisted it and our onco doc didn't think it was necessary. I brought that back up today. He said that since last summer, that infusion pump to the liver has been pretty much totally discounted. The only two places that are still doing it is Mom's surgeon here in Richmond and Sloan-Kettering. Well, he said he was exaggerating a little, maybe other places are still doing it - but it's been totally disapproved to be any more helpful than regular chemo - which folks get in addition to the pump.

The real problem with my mom is that she can't tolerate much chemo at all. she can't have more than the lowest dose possible. she can't tolerate much drugs at all. in fact, she had psychotic episodes in the hospital just taking a regular dose of demerol. quite different from Dave. He says sock it to me and doesn't complain about the side effects. Every little side effect really EFFECTS my mom.

So I'm pretty worried about her. I just hope that her low dose of chemo gets the liver tumors.

KC

Oh ((((Karen)))),

I wish there was something I could do to lighten the load that your family is under. It is so darn unfair. All I can do though is send hugs and prayers that you folks find the strength to keep on fighting your battles. So I'm sending loads of hugs and loads of prayers and a special kiss for that swweet little Faith!

Blessings

Betty

. . . . once more your plate runneth over.

Ditto Frank! You are getting too much at once, Karen. Hang on tight. You are on a bumpy road, but it's passable. Do a lot of swerving and take detours so you don't get stuck in a pot hole.

Sending hugs and prayers for your mom, Dave, you and Faith, and anyone else in your family that needs them!

Love,

Peggy

Sorry to hear the news about your mom. That's definitely not what you or your mom need. As others have mentioned, second opinions are sometimes helpful when things seem hopeless. As for Dave, prayers going out that he is "empty headed". Your about due for some good news I would think.

Gail P-M

I'm sooooo sorry to hear this latest news about your mom. Please tell her she remains in my prayers, and I hope her treatments will knock this out -- and without knocking her out too much. This would be tough anytime, but especially now with everything else you're going through. Praying hard for all of you, and especially for good news on David soon.

BeckyCW

Karen,

I just can't believe all that you are going through....I don't think I have seen a break in the cloudy sky for you once. I am so sorry that your mom's news wasn't better. You are getting slugged from all sides. Please tell Dave that I hope that his noggin has nothing in it but good sense as always.

I think you are doing a great job, Karen. And I am hoping that your sinus infection holds off for you while you tackle the problems of the day. I will keep your mom in my prayers, Dave in my prayers, Faith in my prayers, and especially you for strength and for health to continue to hold the family together.

Cindi

Karen,

Wow! You really have your plate full at this point. I am so sorry that your mother's mets came back in her liver and hope that the low does chemo is enough to knock them out.

I wish for Dave's scan to be "empty headed" and if anything, only small, squashed peas. Didn't you say that small squished peas would be ok? Praying for you all.

Nina

Hi Karen,

I feel so bad for everything that you are going through. I can't imagine how stressed out you must be that beside dealing with your hubbys condition, now you have your mom.

My heart goes out to you. I pray that Dave's test does come back empty headed. You still have your sense of humor, thats great.

good luck

Maryanne