Terrified

Hello Everyone;

I just discovered this forum this morning and I thought it might help me if I posted a message.

I am waiting for a diagnosis that I suspect will be lung cancer. I had a very bad chest cold last month and I have been spitting up blood many mornings for several weeks but always thought it was my snoring combined with the constant coughing from my chest cold. I finally went to the doctor and had a CT scan done Thursday. They have discovered a 2.9 cm something on my upper right lung. I had no other symptoms and feel pretty good overall. I can't shake the feeling that it is going to be lung cancer and I just don't know how I am going to break it to my kids when it is verified. (They are 11 and 9 years old)I have never been more scared of anything before in my life.

In reading this forum this morning - I have been up most of the night - I am encouraged that the diagnosis may not be the death sentence I expect.

I am trying to stay positive for my wife who is in complete denial but it is a very hard thing to do.I just needed to tell someone.

Thanks for letting me vent a little.

Bill Lordan

Hi Bill, Sorry to hear that but glad you found us. Very understandable how you/your wife feel right now. Best thing to do is wait and see and gather all the facts first, then go from there. Try not to put the cart in front of the hosre. Stay positive and focused. Take it one step and one day at a time. Stay with us, let us know how it goes. Many survivors here who you will here from. Many positive stories being told. Best place with the best people for caring, sharing and support. Need to talk anytime you can PM me. Glad to be of help if I can. Prayers for the best from your neighbor next (state over) door. Rich

Bill, welcome. I hope that your spot is just a "nodule" which I hear are faily common but if it is cancer sounds like it might be early. Early is a good thing. Please let us know how your tests come out. Donna G

Hi Bill,

Welcome. The big something you described as showing up could be many things. I had a big thing show up over a year ago and unfortunately, it was a cancerous thing, but not the end of the world. Have dealt with it successfully as you can see by my bio below. Let the Docs determine. Make sure you hava a good Doc, one that has a lot of experience with cancer if that is in fact what it is. Seek out a cancer institute which are readily available in your area. Start at the top with the very best. And get a second opinion from an expert.

It is understandable to be scared. We all were, but a positive attitude will do wonders. Keep active and do the things you normally do. Others will chime in I'm sure with more encouragement and tell their stories of positive thinking.

Hang right in there, have faith in God and seek support from loved ones and friends. Take care and God Bless.

CharlieD

Hi Bill,

Sorry to see you hear but you need to know you can beat this. I just recently went through the same things your are going through. I was terrified, depressed, and immediately thought my life was over until I did a ton of research. Found out everything I possibly could, got all the tests, had surgery and now I am recovering at home until July cancer free. Check my bio below. I was similar to you. 2.5 cm nodule in lower right lung. You need to work with top quality Doctors, I.E. cancer surgeon, Pulmonologist and oncologist. I had very little faith in my locals. I and my surgery at a cancer center in Philadelphia 120 miles from home, where that is all they do all the time and it worked out very good for me. Top quality facility.

This site saved my sanity. The people here to help you get through this are unbelievably caring and helpful. Keep us informed of your details and we will get you through this. Remember this is not a death sentence. You can beat it. Stay positive. I can tell you for me it was the most terrifying two months of my life. You are not alone.

Please keep in touch and let us know what's going on.

Bill in PA

Hi Bill.

I know that right now is the scariest time of all. Glad you showed up and posted.

Try to keep occupied somehow to keep your mind off what it may or may not be.

The doc will probably order a needle core biopsy under guided imagery. With a piece of this 2.9 cm something, the pathologist will scope it and determine what is going on in there.

Crossing fingers that it will turn out to be something other than lc. But, if it is lc, we will deal with that one also. It is doable, no matter what!

Cindi o'h

Hi Bill,

I'm glad you found us. Hope you won't need us, but if you do, know that you have found a wonderful place to be for compassion, support, education ,prayers and HOPE. People here are so very willing to share information to help others. We all understand this disease from patient and caregivers point of view. We will be waiting for the results of your tests. Know that you have my prayers.

Sue

Welcome Bill~

The beginning of this journey is a scary time. You have been given lots of good advice above. I hope you find out you don't need to be here but if you do, we'll help you as best we can.

Rochelle

Hi Bill,and welcome to our support family.You will find many knowing and caring people here.

I hope this turns out to be not cancer,however if it is it is not an immediate death sentence like some drs. make it out to be.As you read on this board you'll see there are many here that are doing ok.

The initial diagnosis and waiting and not knowing are the worst part in my opinion.Good luck and keep us informed.

Hi Bill,

All of us know your feelings and what you are going through. But you know for all the reading you did that LC is not a death sentence. That is so important to know.

Sorry you had to find us, hopefully this will be short lived.

There is so much advice here. But first try to put positive thoughts in your head that it just might be benign.

As Charlie D. said, seek out a good Doctor. My husband first went to a good pulmonary doctor. He was the one who scheduled the scans and biospy.

Keep us informed

Prayers sent out for a good results. Hang in there.

We are always here for support.

Maryanne

Hi Bill,

First, as others have mentioned, let's not jump to any conclusions about lung cancer before all the results are in. There are many not-so-terrible things which can cause lumps, and what you have may be benign. Take the experience of others and proceed with calm resolve that whatever this is, you will deal with it, beat it and have support from many in doing so. And _don't_ give up!

Twice in the last year, I have had to tell my kids that I had lung cancer. The first time, it was "operable". After surgery, we thought I was cured, only to have the cancer return. Like you, I had one lump and thought I had pneumonia. I did, but they also found a mass.

Talking with the kids is the hardest part of this, but you didn't get these kids raised to ages 9 and 11 without at least a few family emergencies. They handle honesty real well. If you try to hide something, two years later, they will tell you, "I knew it all the time".

If you are a prayerful person, now's the time. Many here are in constant prayer for themselves and others. If you need to reach out via PM, grab someone who has responded and get a dialog going. Don't be afraid to ask for help.

Kind thoughts and prayers...

Michael

Bill,

I don't have much to add to the advice the others have given you. Just remember that you are not alone right now, you have a whole board full of people who have been where you are, and guess what? We are still alive to talk about it, so as you can see, this is survivable!!!! Just keep putting one foot in front of the other, and you will get through this slowly but surely, whether it is cancer or it isn't.

I'm not the praying type, but you do have my best wishes. Keep us "posted" Bill...

Bill,

I join the others in telling you that what you're feeling right now is what we've all been through here, and the early days are the hardest, with all the uncertainty and no plan in place.

My advice to you would be to find the best thoracic oncology center in your area, and get there with your films to see if surgery is an option. If it is, the surgery is not pretty but many, many of us have had it and recovered very well.

If surgery isn't an option, get the very best opinions you can regarding radiation, chemo, etc.

I hope you've found from reading this board that there are many, many long term survivors here and we will help you with everything we've experienced.

One really important thing right now would be to make sure you're getting enough rest. My first bout with cancer, I was worried sick to the extent that I didn't sleep for days and days and everything looks worse when you haven't slept. Finally, I got some xanax and was able to rest, therefore, much more able to cope and get the help I needed.

I also made use of the xanax and anti-anxiety drugs this last time around and it does make a difference.

Please stay with us and let us know how you're doing. We can lend a sympathetic ear, and maybe share our experiences, and certainly cheer you on with the treatment that your docs recommend.

Cindy

I want to say Thank You to everyone who took the time to respond to my post. It is comforting to know that you folks are out there and always willing to help. I will keep you informed as to how my needle biopsy goes when I get the results.

Thanks again,

Bill Lordan

Bill, Welcome from Brian and me, too.

It is a sad thing for any of us to be have to be here.

Understanding that .......... this group of people means the world to us and we are glad to have you join us.

Stay positive and determined.

Best!

Pat and Bri (Brat)

Bill,

Got a clue for you. The time you are going through right now, no matter what happens from here on out, is the HARDEST part. That's right. You get through these first few days and weeks you've done the hard part. Why? Because right now you know NOTHING about what is going on inside your body. Soon you will know and will know what you're going to do about it. Other times along this path may be difficult, but not as hard as this part.

So do the ol' "hang in there" thing for a bit, stay close to the people here on the board and WE will get through this.

Dean

:) Bill,just be positive and keep connected to this site. It is my piece of heaven. I could not have made it through these last 2 months without the support and input of these wonderful caring people.

Take one day at a time and God bless you and your family,Nancy C

Hi Bill: I just wanted to welcome you . I have had 3 needle biopsies. They are very reliable when the finding is positive, but not reliable at all when the test is negative. In my case, for each biopsy the result was inconclusive. The PET scan was the most informative.

Just wanted to say ''Welcome''

if you need to stay with us,

but a lot of things may cause

a lump or nodule.

You got good answers and we will look

for an update after the tests are done.

Hope and prayers for you.

j.C.

Hi Bill,

Those are the first words my surgeon said to me. This is not a death sentence. Please keep that in mind. Good luck to you and take care.

Mare