Update on Joel

Maryanne

Hi All,

Joel is now finished all this chemo, actually his last chemo was June 14. (YIPPY !!!!!!!!!) :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

His last one really knocked him through a loop as the pains in his legs was so much worse then the other three. Onc. probably gave him a little extra in that dose.

He was finally getting over that when he developed this rash on the back of his left thigh. :roll: At first he thought was an insect bite. It got worse and really hurt him. Went to our primary and found out he has shingles. :shock:

Doc gave him medication and besides that he is still on those darn Percks for pain. Has to take 2 for the pain to go away. I pray he does not get an addiction to them.

I can't wait for this lastest setback to be over. He can't seem to catch a break.

I feel a couple of weeks left to heal and hopefully, this should all be hehind him.

Just curious, has anyone one here ever developed shingles during or after chemo. His Prim said that it could happen from chemo and stress.

Take care :wink:

Maryanne

Maryanne,

Glad to hear Joel finished his chemo, but sorry about the shingles. I have posted a few posts about this recently. Mike had shingles the beginning of June. His were on his chest , under his arm and around to his back. The doctor gave him Famvir for it. I will have to say that it got rid of the shingles . He is having an ongoing problem due mental confusion that developed at the time the meds were started , but don't let our story discourage you. Our problems may just be coincidental. Anyhow, in answer to your question, the Famvir did work and we were told the shingles could be brought on by chemotherapy and or steroids. It is the herpes zoster virus (the same as chicken pox) that lies dormant , but can surface when the immune system is in a weakened condition. A person with shingles can give chicken pox to someone that never had them. Hope Joel will soon feel better.

Love and Prayers,

Sue

Hi Maryanne,

Isn't it a great feeling to be done with chemo? It's like a graduation day or something.

Sorry to hear about the shingles. I've never had it, but I understand it can be very, very uncomfortable.

Hope all the meds take care of these side issues and Joel is back to normal very soon.

Love,

Peggy

Hope that Joel is able to build up strength quickly now that he has finished chemo. I've known a lot of people who develop shingles while on chemo or other immuno suppressants. Hope he recovers from that quickly as well.

No chemo! Celebrate!

WOOHOOO @ finishing chemo!!!! Sorry about the shingles, though...that's the pits :roll: I know that Mom, whenever she got stressed before (like any of that was "really" stressfull compared to now! lol) would have an outbreak. And yes, she's actually had hers this time around since the diagnosis! :shock: ICK! So, here's hoping that it all gets under control for Joel and hugsssssss to you both!!

Prayers on their way!!

Hi Mar,

Congrats on finishing chemo. Remember, it is cumulative. Maybe that is why he was having troubles with pain more toward the end.

I was gifted with the knowledge of shingles 6 months after treatment ended. The S-1 nerve pathway. Wasn't too bad though.

Hi Maryanne,

Glad to see you back! Hope you are doing okay yourself after losing your dear Mother.

It IS good news that Joel is finally all finished with chemo. It is cause for celebration.

Hopefully, with the meds, the shingles will soon be a thing of the past too!

Happy that you are back again!!!!!!

Love,

Kasey

Martanne...so glad to hear the chemo is over!!! That is really good news. As for the shingles...stress can cause that also. After my gallbladder surgery (which was no picnic) I developed shingles. Although the doctor caught it very early, I still had some very painful days. I really hope Joel recovers from the shingles very quickly. I understand there are some new drugs out there that really kick shingles in the butt. When I was a child, I remember hearing of older folks that had shingles and then there was nothing to do for them. Wow...can't even imagine how painful that must have been.