And, The Verdict is.........................................

CharlieD

STABLE!!!!! Little or no significant change. It's what I wanted to hear. Party time at the Pub. Cindi, drinks on me, lots of em.

They offered me to join a new Clinical Trial being done at Roswell Park. Gotta check into it some more before I commit myself. It''s a Phase I with Vitamin D and Gemzar. Anyone ever heard of it? Haven't had time to read the package they gave me yet, so I'm kinda in the dark on this one. I'll provide details when I get my act together. In the meantime, CHEERS!!

Thank you all for the good vibes and prayers. They're answered again. God Bless.

CharlieD

Well OKAY, Charlie!!! I wanna be first in line for that FREE drink :D ! And I don't care much what it is either!

GREAT news and I am overjoyed! Does it get any better than this? Not today, good friend of mine.

Looking forward to hearing about this trial. Hope it sounds promising to you and something beneficial.

In the meanatime....I am here waiting....Yep!!! even rotgut in your honor!

Kasey

An invitation for free drinks and to celebrate with our friend Charlie D, It doesn't get better than that. Wonderful news Charlie!!! I can feel your relief from here. Gemzar and Vitamin D. , sounds interesting. First things first... Cindi is at the pub and the big spigot it is... This is gonna be one rip , roaring wonderful party.

Love,

Mike and Sue..

Have not heard of an on going study of Vit. D and Gemzar but we read this recently that says Vit D may improve survival of lung cancer .

Vitamin D May Be Associated With Improved Survival of Early Stage Lung Cancer

Researchers from the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute have reported improved survivals of patients with early stage non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) who had a high intake of vitamin D and were operated on in the summer when compared to similar patients who had a low intake of vitamin D and were operated on in the winter. The details of this study appeared in the October 2005 issue of Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention .

Epidemiological data suggest that low Vitamin D levels may play a role in the etiology of several cancers. Calcitriol, the therapeutic form of vitamin D, has anti-proliferative agent activity in a variety of tumors in vitro. There is also some evidence to suggest that adding calcitriol to chemotherapy improves responses to taxane chemotherapy in prostate cancer.

The current study was undertaken to determine if dietary vitamin D and vitamin D increased by sunlight plays a role in the outcome of patients treated for early stage NSCLC. These authors looked at the outcomes of 456 patients with early stage NSCL cancer. The average follow-up was 71 months at which time there were 161 recurrences and 231 deaths.

Researchers found that patients who had surgery in the summer had a 5-year relapse-free survival rate of 53% compared to 40% for those treated in the winter. They had dietary information on 321 of these 456 patients and found a similar seasonal association in this cohort. For the entire group of 321 patients dietary intake of vitamin D had no association with relapse-free survival. However, they found that patients who had surgery in the summer and the highest intake of vitamin D had a 5 year relapse-free survival of 56% compared to 23% for those who had surgery during the winter and the lowest vitamin D intake.

Comments: This study shows an association between vitamin D and outcome of surgery for early stage NSCLC. It would be of interest to add high doses of vitamin D to patients treated in the winter and see if there is an effect on outcome. It would also be reasonable to add calcitriol to chemotherapy for patients with more advanced NSCLC since adding calcitriol to taxanes appears to improve responses in hormone refractory prostate cancer.

Reference: Zhou W, Suk R, Liu G, et al. Vitamin D is associated with improved survival in early-stage non-small cell lung cancer patients. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention . 2005;14:2303-2309.

Related news

Study Shows Benefits of Adding High-Dose Vitamin D to Chemotherapy for Advanced Prostate Cancer (5/30/2002)

• 3 weeks later...