Getting to Know You - December 15

Ann

My Woman's Club adopted two families for Christmas, one family has 3 children with the youngest dx with failure to thrive and the father is a short order cook making $6./hr. The other family is a single mother with two children. The family is homeless and sleeps in different church basements a month at a time.

The gifts we brought for these families didn't fit in one car, way too many.

The mother in the first family asked for food gift certificates and a soup pot.

This did make me smile, but it was bittersweet to realize how many children live in such extreme poverty.

Ann,

Yesterday was a difficult day but I did smile. Last night, I half-heartedly decided to start wrapping the presents I'll be taking to my family next week. I shuffled into the wrapping paper closet and discovered new paper I had bought last Christmas. When I pulled it out, I smiled really BIG because it was all glittery, shiny, sparkling type of paper. The kind that Jim loved! He loved to make presents shine and sparkle and look pretty. I usually did well just to get them wrapped and taped. So, I had bought Christmas paper last year that I thought he would love this year! I used some last night and talked to him about how he would really love this stuff! I could just hear him say "Now, see, don't those look much better?!". (They still didn't get any bows or ribbons.)

Thanks for reminding me of this. I stayed home today because I couldn't find where I put my smile up last night and you just helped me find it,

Lynne

Yesterday morning, I felt as if smiling would be an impossible task. My day at work was as usual and the drive home uneventful...still nothing to make me smile. Then, all three of my sons dropped to have dinner with me. My soon to be DIL made dinner and brought it to my house. We all sat around the table and exchanged stories about Dennis. We were all smiling and laughing...just the way Dennis would have wanted us to be. So...my children and lots of good memories made me smile!

I had a pretty smile-less day yesterday, but my best friend Wyndi did call me at work...every time she calls, she says her name but gives a different company or organization when the receptionist asks who's calling. Examples include the United Steelworkers of America, Bill Clinton's office, etc. It's funny, because the front desk has yet to figure out that she's the same person. So it was a small thing that reminded me that I am loved, and it made me smile.

Its final exam time to it can be hard to smile with all the sleep deprivation and stress. I'm sure you all know the feeling. Yesterday here's what made me smile.

I got an A in my Biology Class

I bought a very nice baby doll for a child at the battered womens home

I am almost done with my grad school applications!!

I watched America's funniest home videos (always cheers me up)

Well yesterday at work someone said something about Wednesday being hump day and my mind went places it shouldn't go...it's scary in my head.

:lol:

Then that evening John and I had to sell tickets at the hockey game and we had a good time kidding with the people coming through. We saw a lot of people we hadn't seen in years (parents of the kids on the other team) and just had fun kidding around.

We had our local cancer support group Christmas dinner last night and the nuns who run the group cooked a fabulous Italian dinner (who knew?) for about 50 of us. They waited on us hand and foot and even pureed soup for Joel (who is still on a liquid diet). Very festive and a warm and supportive group of people. Lots of longtime cancer survivors that make us feel very hopeful about the future.

Pam

Worked yesterday, and had a wonderful 89 yr. young gentleman who, when I told him he was looking good, said," Am I looking good or good looking!?" I laughed and told him, "BOTH! But, don't tell you wife I said that!" :lol: Sometimes I have an elderly patient who shows me just how sweet life can be if I just stop to taste it.

Well, yesterday I had lots of laughs (to the point of tears sometimes) with my co-workers. Just about all sorts of silly little things. We're kind of like kids at a slumber party sometimes - keeping serious when another person's in the room and then sputtering out in giggles when they leave! VERY MATURE! But, makes monotinous and sometimes annoying work more of a pleasure! We had fun!

Leslie

I teach grade 2/3 and yesterday we had a dress rehearsal for our school Christmas concert. Just watching my kids act out a short skit and singing their song sure put a smile on my face! BUT that quickly changed because our Christmas concert was supposed to be tonight but is postponed due to the snow storm we are getting...looks like 15 cm of snow!!!!

jorja

I've just spent 3 days in Boston with my daughter and her husband of 4 months.

Yesterday I smiled a whole lot watching them smile at each other whenever they were together, how she made his breakfast while he steamed her suit.....and on and on,

So, love made me smile yesterday.

Geri

Driving around w/ my 11-year old daughter, we saw a mom and her 2-year old singing in the car. I commented on how familiar that looked. So we burst into goofball singing of songs from the John Denver/Muppet Christmas CD...hand motions and all. What a hoot to still get to be silly with her.

:) Kelly

I called and talked to a very long lost and very loved girlfriend that was my best friend almost all my years until I married and moved away.

She had just recently lost her brother to Cancer and her dad to a heart attack within the past 2 months.

Although our talk of that was sad, we could have talked forever. It was wonderful just to hear her voice again!

God Bless you all,

Jane