New one!

Darrell

Wow! I've been riding along this NED wagon for a few weeks now and I could have landed on the moon if you asked me. I've been flying that high!

Unfortunately, my ONC let me know today that the cancer has spread to my pelvis bone. He told me that I had all the radiation to that area I could have. The chemo that I just finished isn't going to work either.

Has anyone had this happen to them? My god, I can't believe that I don't have an answer to this. I'm calling Chicago tomorrow and asking them. But can someone please tell me if they had or know of someone who's had this effect their pelvis?

Please help me.

Love you all.

Darrell

Darrell,

Sorry to read of this development. Please, please get a second opinion as soon as possible. There are many good doctors out there. Keep trying! Although I don't know about mets to the pelvis, maybe someone here does and will respond. I'm hoping for the very best for you now. You don't give up, you hear me! :wink: ((()))

Joanie

Yes, get that second opinion!

Oh Darrell, I am in shock.

And I am pissed off.

PLease keep us informed about your condition.

If i could fly out to where you are right now I would.

Much love and big healing hugs.

(Time to get my bat and whoop up on some cancer cells)

Eppie

Damn it! I was loving your story, and now I am so angry. This just isn't fair!!!!!! :evil::evil:

I dont' know anything about the mets. However, I do know that Don from Texas says that mets are so, so common. He has warned me peronally to be ready for my dad. Maybe contact him????

I agree with the others too...get that second opinion.

Prayers,

Jen

Darrell,

I can't believe this is happening to you. Now you know that I know something about dealing w/ ext sclc and it's such a rollercoaster. Definitely get that second opinion. You just finished the first "gold standard" of chemo. So I know the onc. doesn't want your body to totally break down. But you're young and like my husband I truly believe you can take whatever they throw at you. There are many more chemo options but you have to find out how soon you can do it. I don't know if cyberknife is an option, you should check out that cyberknife site, I know someone listed it on here, (check out the treatment section).

Well I will tell you that whatever option is the best for you that they better monitor you frequently. You know that w/ sclc the cells literally double themselves w/in 30 days, that is why you have to be agressive! and like I said before you're not old, and you probably don't mind taking some chances <?> (at least I think you do). So fight, and fight strong and hard. and Darrell, if I find out anything, any options, or even drs. or hosp. that know how to deal w/ this I will let you know asap.

I'm sending the good vibes your way tonite. Don't worry you can fight this beast!

Grace

Darrell, sorry to hear this news. Definitely go for second...and third opinions on this one. Some doctors are just more agressive when it comes to treatment options that others. Don't let this get you down.

I agree with Joan that you should check out cyberknife. They say they can do targeted radiation to areas that have already received the maximum amount of radiation. I don't know if they do mets on the pelvis, but they have been doing them on the spine for a long time. I hope you find some answers.

Karen H

Darrell,

I'm so sorry to hear this. I know how devastating it is to hear that NED has decided to take a TEMPORARY leave.

Sending only the best thoughts and praying you'll be back on track very soon!!!

Melinda

Darrell, So sorry to hear about this bump in the road for you! I'm hoping that soon you will feel that NED high again.

I agree with checking on the Cyberknife option. I believe you can even send them your scans and they can tell you if you are eligible.

Good Luck!

Karen

If there was ever the most beautiful cyber flower garden to come to, this is truely it.

I have an appt set for Monday for a 2nd opinion.

I'm not going to let this stop or even slow me down. I'm heading to the mountains to go camping with my old dog Jessy.

Love you all!

Darrell

Darrell I am sorry about the recent developments.

I love your attitude though, don't ever let this monster get you down. Only when it has robbed you of your spirit and your will to fight has it won.

I found this information on various treatment options for bone metastasis, and also found that the pelvis is one of the more common areas with SCLC.

http://www.lungcanceronline.org/treatment-mets/BONE/bone.html#brainmetstherapies

I know that you have had radiation already to the area, but it looks like you could also try radiopharmacology. Keith did a clinical trial that was in that realm where they radiate a drug (in Keith's case a hormone) that is attracted to your particular met, and then inject it so the radiation is absorbed directly into the met and not damaging surrounding tissue. For bone mets Strontium-89 (Metastron) and samarium-153 (Quadramet) are drugs that are often used.

Also, radiofrequency abolation is also available for bone mets that have already had radiation.

I've also attached the link to the available clinical trials for recurrent SCLC, and there is a trial in there for zometa for bone metastatis.

http://www.cancer.gov/search/ResultsClinicalTrials.aspx?protocolsearchid=2468246&sort=4&page=1&batchsize=10

Enjoy your trip to the mountains. Much love

Carleen

Darrel: I am sorry about your setback. I hope you are having a good camping trip.

I am not sure if sclc mets can be effectively controled with cyberknife, but here is a link to the ask the doctors website. They will answer within 24 hours. If they say yes, cyberknife is the way to go. You can have the met killed in just 3 treatments. Prior radiation is not an obstacle.

http://www.cyberknifesupport.org/forum/default.aspx?c=4

There must be another chemo regime that you can do. I think the Chicago guys will come up with something. It may be that the cyberknife people would recommend chemo as a first choice because it is sclc.

I doubt they would do chemo and cyberknife at the same time.

Don M

Guest fight4dan

My father in law has sclc, stage 4 in his pelvis bone, on his lung and in his adreanal gland. He was diagnosed on 7/5/06..happy 4th huh? The tumor in his pelvis is 7-8cm and its in the bone. They are doing radiation, 8 tx so far. For him, the pain was very intense and he was hospitalized. In fact, he is still hospitalized, due to a blod clot. Because of the pain, they installed a pump in his side to release 3mg morphine throughout the day into his spine. i don't know if you are in pain yet and I hope you never have to endure what he is going through. They are wanting to do chemo, but we are skeptical. Any suggestions.

fightfordan,

I know exactly how he feels sweetie. I had it on my hip and back. No matter what i did I couldn't get comfortable. The more pain, the more pain meds. I firmly believe that the pain meds actually made things worse. I told them to reduce everything. I felt so much better and stronger! Not saying that the case with your FIL.

You need to get your post out in the open forum so more people can respond. There are alot of people out there who will be more than happy to help you (including me!).

Keep your chin up. Get those boxing gloves out. He can beat this. It's doable.

Love, Darrell

I guess I'm going to have to take a trip to Cedar Point because the roller coasters are about the same as my cancer docs can make one! Second opinion is completely different. Doc says is not cancerous but we'll have a look at it in a month to be completely positive!

I'm back to NED! Thank you for all of your positive thoughts!!!! :-)

love you!

Darrell