anyone use a disability parking permit?

spicysashimi

The first thing I did was get my mom one, I absolutely think you should get one. My mom tries her best not to use it at places like the oncologist office, etc, but it comes in very handy if we have to park far b/c she tires out.

The only negative is the looks you sometime get. My mom is so healthy looking, she is fluffy, always looks good, so sometimes people stare like she does not need it. I want to say "she'll trade you lung cancer for her handicap placard", but I am not allowed to b/c there are crazies in California who could shoot without warning :roll:

I doubt you would get resistence.

Aaron,

Illinois has gotten pretty darn sticky about who they will allow permits to be given out to. Tony has only been allowed one because he is on oxygen 24/7, otherwise it would have been tough sh--. We had to apply to the Secretary of State after the Doctor signed off on a form for us.

We felt funny about using it even with the oxygen, but I figure, what the heck, this guy is really going through the mill. We've gotten over the "guilt" of using it and now enjoy good parking spaces! We don't always use it, but it does come in handy sometimes.

Good to see you posting -- at home, I presume?

Welthy

Hi,

I just got a form signed by the doctor and brought it to the DMV. They issued it right there and it's good for 4 years.

By the way, I had just had an episode in a parking lot where I had thought I was going to fall. I was in the middle of a lot and not near to a car or anything to hold on to. So I sat down. (I might not have falled - but I got scared). Anyway, then I needed assistance in getting back up.

Now that I have the placard, I'm thrilled that I have rarely used it. I relish even a short walk if I feel well.

Mary

Yes, definitely get one! I'm still using the one that was issued before my knee replacement surgery. Don't know what I'll do. It was easy to get in VA - just a form signed by the doctor. Looking at the FL DMV website, it sounds as tho. you need to be multiply handicapped and dead. I haven't tried to get it, but will really need it.

Muriel

DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I went and got one back in mid 2001. I could not walk very far and was so tired during the chemo.

I have found now that I am able to walk more in the store if I don't have to walk clear across the parking lot.

Besides that my girls always want me to go shopping because they get front row parking!!

I guess this is one benefit. Gotta look on the good side. 8)8)

In our state you must meet criteria to be issued one.If possible get one they are priceless.

I have good days that I get around well I don't use mine.A lot of days I really don't get around so good the permit is a Godsend.

PS:want a good laugh some day sit in the parking lot and watch the pregnant and expectant mothers handicapped spots.

Aaron ... In Oklahoma you can get one that is effective for 5 years (blue) or for 6 months (red). If you have any doubt get the temporary one if available in your area and only use it when you have to. Hopefully in 6 months you will be bouncing back big time and will not have to renew it. :lol:

Get a tag. I have one and had to get a form filled out from a doc first but the MVD was very cooperative. You can get the kind that hangs from the mirror or a license plate. Either is so helpful for days of not feeling well. If you feel well park and walk.praying you will have healing. pammie