Carlton is slipping away - update 2/21

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm back from a very restless night at the hospital. Carlton is such a fighter! But yesterday was so difficult, the girls saying goodbye to daddy, they are such beautiful young ladies! I found out that ones heart can break over and over and over.

So i stayed the night and now Carlton has spiked a temp. of about 102. so it was tylenol and ice bags for him, I know he is still young and has an incredibly strong body and mind, he just doesn't want to let go, unfortunately, it is a battle that he will lose...

We're continuing the care and comfort, of course, and I now feel like I'm part of the hospital "family", I've told Carltons' story, and our story....over and over to so many

I'm in this incredible fog, I'm dreaming weird dreams, but I can't remember them, except that they were weird.

but I am "so" getting "it" - I know you know, I don't have to explain it further....

I am so fortunate to have such loving and caring friends here.....

much love,

Grace

Grace,

I wish so very much that none of us had to ever "get it" but too many of us know all too well what you mean.

My prayers and thoughts continue to be with you and Carlton and your beautiful young ladies..

May God grant you all peace, comfort, and understanding..

Chris

Grace, Each post you write, could have been written by me 2 years ago... and yes, I so understand exactly what you are feeling.... its almost surreal isn't it? I am thinking of you and your beautiful family daily and saying many prayers for you all... Love, Sharon

Grace, I am praying for you, Carlton and your beautiful girls. I'm so sorry you are going through this, and I do "get it".

I want you to know that I think you are amazing. Your strength and beauty are an inspiration and Carlton is so fortunately to have you (as I know you feel fortunate to have loved Carlton).

(((Grace))) I'm sending you so much love and I pray for God's comfort for Carlton and for your family.

Grace, Just now reading this, so maybe I am too late, but I want you to know that most practitioners agree that withholding food and fluids is not uncomfortable for the dying person. It augments the release of endorphins (natural morphine-like substances), enhancing comfort. Also, withholding fluids helps control the "rattling" with breathing that is so distressing to hear.

Hunger and thirst sensations are diminished near the end of life. Although of course it is difficult to know for certain, research with caregivers and hospice nurses shows consistently that people stop taking food and fluids near the end of life and do not appear to miss them.

Carlton is indeed fortunate to have you by his side. Peace to you and your family.