Carlton is slipping away - update 2/21

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I am so sorry you have to go through this. I hope that you can find some peace and comfort somehow in the days that follow.

Dar

oh grace,

i went through the same thing with my mom, she was in peds, icd, general hospital, then finally into a private room. please BELIEVE that you are doing the right thing, what he wanted, what is best. it is so hard to let go but while he is here and you are here dont be afraid to call all the shots, i did that myself and im never never sorry that I DID IT, not some nurse who was a stranger to my mom. my heart says so much more but my hands dont seeem to be able to type it. be strong,

much love, heather

I'm home for the night, last night was very difficult, alot of chain stokes breathing, very aggitated, very congested. I thought last night would be my last Saturday night with him. But he made it thru the night, got a "patch" behind his ear, like a dramamine and a sublingual pill for under his tongue to dry up all the mucus, and it has done wonders.

Today I went home in the morning, after little to no sleep and came back this afternoon, believe it or not, he looks wonderful! he's not in distress, he looks so comfortable, still has those chain stokes breathing, but can hardly hear any fluids in his lungs and throat. but still nonresponsive, I'm wondering...

I'm at an ethical delemina, should I question the drs. and test him to see what his brain functions are? The rest of his body is strong, his heart is incredibly strong, he can breathe on his own w/ no problems, and his vitals are great. but should i do more for him, like a feeding tube, should I have them give him for than comfort and care.

but then, I know the cancer is spreading, do I want to do measures that prolong his life, only to create more pain for him to only live longer but in agony?

or do I just continue to do and let Carlton, nature and God runs his course?

of course, i don't know what the minutes, seconds, bring for Carlton, I left him, he was very comfortable, had the radio playing some music that I know that he loves. A fan blowing a cool breeze, the lights are dim.....

much love,

Grace

My Pwersonal Thought is Just let be what is. I know how hard this is right now. You are doing every thing right. I would not prolong the pain or anyhting like that myself!! You do what you feel you have to do though. that was my personal opinion.

Sending Praeyrs for all tonite.

(((((((((((((Grace))))))))))))))

I can only imagine how "drained" you must be, both physically and emotionally. Dealing with cancer is like riding on a roller coaster. There are just so many ups and downs to deal with. Although I know it's hard, if I were you, I would let nature run its course right now. Of course, talk with Carlton's doctor and see if he has any different suggestions or advise. I am so glad to hear that Carlton's breathing is less labored now. I know that makes it much easier for you. Grace, please remember how much you and your family mean to us. You have really touched our hearts and we are keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.