New Here - 10 days post lobectomy

barbvh

Good Evening Everyone,

I found your forum today and it looks like a great place for support, information and friendship. I am 10 days post right lower lobectomy. My pathology report shows adenocarcinoma, Stage 1A N0 MX. I have a lot to learn about NSCLC, but do know this means that there is no lymph node involvement. I see my oncologist on Thursday. In ICU he told me that I may or may not need chemo and after seeing the report he told me he needed clarification from the surgeon and pathologist.

It's weird as I am quite an emotional person, but I have not cried about this yet. I've been told that my husband and adult children were a mess after they heard. I am trying to remain optimistic and I pray a lot for strength and guidance.

I know that I will have questions no matter what I find out about the chemo, but for now I am just trying to ride out the discomfort and pain from the surgery. I look forward to getting some decent sleep. I am continually shifting positions to try to get comfortable. I have heard this will pass in a few weeks. I hope so.

I look forward meeting many of you through the forum.

Hello Barb and welcome,

I am sorry you had reason to find a site such as this, but I am very glad you posted. Please keep us informed as to what the next step is with your treatment and rest assured that there are many wonderful people here that will be more than happy to offer you advice and support. Your good attitude will do so much to help you as you go along, too.

My best to you,

Christine

Hi Barb,I hope you get as much out of coming here as I have. At first the stories frightened me but I found myself always coming back. The positive outweighed the negative and helped me to cope with all the changes.I pray and wish you well. Im glad they found it early for you. Mike

Hi Barb, welcome. Boy you are strong! The day they told me I had lung cancer I cried so hard while I was driving home I was afraid I'd get in an accident! Sometimes Stage I they are giving chemo incase a "cell" has escaped and later will grow. I also have a friend who is 7 yrs out who just had a lobectomy and is doing great. Keep us posted.

Donna

Barb,

I am glad you found this site, you are correct when you said you thought it was full of information, support and friendship. There is also alot of love here as well. People here really do care what happens to each other and I think that really helps in our fight with lc.

This is a rollercoaster ride with many ups and downs and when you find yourself on the down side yell, scream, shout and someone will be here for you. When you are on the upside yell, scream and shout and someone will be here to celebrate with you.

Sherry

Welcome Barb. Like you I did not cry upon diagnosis. As a matter fact I was well into the middle of seven weeks of chemo and radiation before I shed a tear. At that time I was not sure if it was due to the diagnosis or the exhaustion from treatment but it really made no difference. My poor dog laid on the bed with his great big head in my lap and just looked at me so funny. Since then even my neighbors have noticed that when I am not feeling well that dog stays in the house a great deal of the time. Let us know what the oncologist tells you and know that we will be here for you when needed.

Thanks everyone for your very warm welcome.

I am hanging in there. The pain is getting better and is not too bad most of the time. I know it will take a long time, but the numbness, tingling and tightness on the whole right side of my body bothers me more than the pain sometimes. I am even brusied on my abdomen below my navel. My husband says that they must have dropped something on me.

I had an episode of blurred vision and dizziness this morning. I called the surgeon and he does not think it is related to the surgery or the pain med. He told me to call my PCP tomorrow or if it got worse go to the ER. For now it has not happened again and hopefully will not.

I hope that you are all having a wonderful holiday. Tomorrow is my first day alone since the surgery. Family has been with me and now my daughter went back home to Illinois and my husband will go back to work. That will be weird.

Take Care,

Hi Barb, I'm so glad you found this site. You will find answers and support here whenever you need it. It's great that they found your cancer so early. You have a wonderful attitude and I wish you a quick recovery from the surgery. I'm sure it will feel a little lonely tomorrow on your own. Make sure you check in with us here. Shelley

Good Morning Everyone,

Here I am, my first day alone since my surgery. My family has been GREAT and taken such good care of me. I do appreciate how much time and energy they have given to me. It's kind of weird and really quiet. I am doing pretty good. Still cannot sleep very good and am up at 5:00 because I am just too stiff and need to move around.

Thanks to everyone for their warm welcome and support.

Have a GREAT day.

Barb

Welcome, Barb,

I'm not sure if you're trying to sleep in bed or if you have found that a nest of pillows and a recliner (or reclining couch) is the way to go. I know I slept in the living room for over a month after my surgery...

My suggestion would be a second opinion on whether chemo and/or radiation are needed after surgery. Some swear by it, some don't offer it. Get the opinions and the reasoning behind the decision - I had radiation but no traditional chemo. Others who have been diagnosed since I was have had both.

As for the feelings and not crying, it doesn't always manifest in tears. Sometimes, not being able to sleep is driven by the despair. In the early days, I had prescriptions for a sleep aid and an anti-anxiety drug and took both prior to closing my eyes. Keep in touch with your feelings and deal with them as they come.

Take care,

Becky

• 13 years later...

Hello, 

my name is Sarah. My mom is getting a lobectomy this Friday and I am very worried about her. Was your recovery very painful? I am worried about making sure she has everything she needs after surgery and I want her to be comfortable. Did anyone find it easier to sleep in a recliner vs a bed? 
thanks

Hi, Sarah, and welcome. I'd suggest starting a new thread in the newcomers' forum--this thread is from 2007.

In any event, I found my lobectomy via VATS one of the simplest surgeries I've ever had. Three tiny incisions and that's it. There is some pain, but I think I needed the heavy-duty pain meds for only a couple of days and then ibuprofen was plenty. She will cough a lot, which is encouraged because it helps clear the lungs. 

A recliner would be comfy to sleep in (unless, like me, you have cats that will climb all over you if you try). What I used (and lots of other people used, too) was a wedge pillow. It does help you sleep if your upper body can be a bit elevated.

She should come through this with no problem. I was out with friends for dinner and a concert about a week after getting out of the hospital. One of our members, Lou, created a list of tips and tricks for recovery from lung surgery: https://forums.lungevity.org/topic/47249-thoracic-surgery-tips-and-tricks/

Sarah,

Welcome to our forum.  I'm sorry to hear about your Mom's lobectomy.  But it is very effective in removing cancerous tissue.  Lexie already shared the "tips and tricks" with you and please feel free to ask any questions you (or your Mom) may have.