Home!

Welthy

Hi all and many sincere thank-you's for all your prayers, love, and support.

Got Tony home a little while ago and he's parked in his easy chair watching the Cub's. Breathing is still not good, but it appears that this is a downward spiral that's not going to be reversed. He's a happy camper to be home though. :D

They wanted to keep him another day until all the "regulars" returned because they found out he is now diabetic. Well, duh, he's the pasta king and how do you think he's been keeping the weight up these past years?? It ain't from eating salads! So another jog in the road that we have to explore. Any high calorie suggestions would be deeply appreciated. (Forget about things like Ensure though -- we threw out two cases a long time ago because Tony refuses to drink them.)

In the "Stupid things we've been told category" is the general physician's associate who saw Tony this morning. He abruptly left the room once Tony said there was no way he was staying, diabetes or not. I caught him out of ear-shot of Tony at the nurses desk and told him that if he wanted him to stay that he could probably twist his arm and he would stay. His response was, "I'm tired, it's Sunday, and I have no inclination to argue with him about staying. He has lung cancer and is dying. What your oncologist won't tell you is that he will be dying sooner then later. If I were him I'd go home and drink, smoke, and live it up. My Dad died from lung cancer." Gee, what a bedside manner huh? Not being quick enough on my feet lately, I stood there with my mouth hanging open. I told the nurse later that I am also tired, have been dealing with this for over two years, but you didn't see me throwing a hissy fit and my husband hasn't smoked in 25 years, thank you very much. Then I scratched my cheek with my middle finger and she cracked up.

So -- that's all the drama for this week.

Thanks again everyone! I am so blessed to be a part of this community.

Welthy

I am so sorry and angry that you had to go through that kind of verbal abuse from a doctor. That was just plain rude. I would definitely right a letter to the powers to be at the hospital. You should not have to tolerate that kind of behavior. My prayers for you and Tony.

Carol

Ohhh Welthy,

I'm so sorry to read this news. If Tony wants to be home, I'm glad he can be in his home, but how hard this is on you. How in this world did you keep your cool with the doctor's associate... that was so very uncalled for. He would have had me screaming at him and crying my eyes out. I'm so very very sorry that happened to you. You and Tony have my prayers.

Love,

Sue

Welthy,

Of course you're tired; I'm tired, too, and am not nearly as far down this road as you are. I cannot believe what a wonderful, steadfast advocate and caretaker you've been, and how very much you and Tony have been through.

As far as the guy in the hospital that gave you such refined, eloquent, educated guidance - it doesn't matter, I guess. You don't have the time or energy right now to react to such tedious behavior.

You will continue to have my daily prayers. You're doing great.

MC

Ok, Welthy, I have my fighting gloves on and I am all but on my way to see that SOB (and I DON"T mean short of breath here) and give him more than my 2 cents' worth. I am just fuming!!!!!!!!!! Sorry a thousand times over just doesn't make up for THAT!!!!! I hope you and Tony continue to fight the good fight and show that BAST@#$ what you folks are MADE of! Just let me know if you want me.......I'm THERE in a heartbeat!

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO,

Kasey

You guys are too funny! Don't worry -- I eat people like that moronic doctor for breakfast! Tony just flicks it off like a gnat on his arm.

Let me clarify -- the breathing is probably not reversible, but fear not, we are still in the fight with the cancer. You don't knock a hard-headed Italian or a stubborn German down this easily! :D

Welthy

Welthy,

Loved your last post. Way to tell those docs!!! I know there are many super docs in this world. I also know that many of them completely FLUNKED bedside manor 101. I've always thought the "middle finger wave" was tremendously effective.... even at times,if only for the "waver". Keep the faith. Sending prayers your way. Ellie

That doctor was an idiot. He had no right to say those things.

But on a lighter note, You and Tony have such a great attitude. And you have been so instrumental to his survival. You are a wonderful wife and caregiver.

You two keep on fighting... Like our Rich always says... NEVER GIVE UP!! and you two are always there punching away.

Just know which I am sure you know, we are all in your corner cheering you on!

I know you don't care what the doc said but I think he needs to read "Bedside manners for Dummy's"

By the way.... Welcome home Tony!!

Maryanne

I am glad he's home. What a putz that doctor is! Maybe you could hit the grocery store in search of sugar free ice cream etc.? You could also get the weight gainer powder at the health food store to mix in food. Good luck- keep us posted on how he does.

Glad Tony is home! That is good. Sorry to hear about the doctor's words. We had an episode with that after my mom's brain surgery. My dad asked if the tumor would come back and the surgeon said, "Well, if she lives long enough it will come back." Yes, that was probably his thinking and maybe it is true but still. Couldn't he have just said, "Yes, it could possibly come back."? Definitly falls into the, "What were they thinking?" category. Hang in there. Praying for you both.

Welthy,

I'm glad you have Tony home. Kick the SOB PA in the shins once for me--ok? As for his weight--it's so hot here all I can think of is Ice Cream. Edy's makes a great sugar free ice cream--a couple of big bowls a day might help to keep his weight up without upsetting his blood sugar.

Love to you both,

Susan

Debi,

OOOOH, I am so angry right now! Who does that doctor think he is? He is a disgusting human being, that's who he is.

When my mom was at CTCA she had the most caring, comforting people on her team, who never EVER said anything but positive things to us, even in the face of her lung cancer, dialysis, and being wheelchair-bound from polio and scoliosis. Even after bad scans her onco would say, "well, I'M not giving up, are you??"

Debi if you need something, I am here for you. We have a lot of in-home care equipment which was my mom's to make her feel as at-home as possible while she lived with us. And I'll tell you, I personally think you should take Kasey up on her offer to come to see you...that way I could see her again, too! :wink:

I am thinking of you and Tony...always.

I'm glad Tony is home and enjoying his TV and comfy chair.

As far as that doctor goes...... :evil: I can think of several things I'd like to say to him, none of which are very Christian, so I'd have to just poke him in the nose instead. :?

Take care of yourself,

Nova

Hi Welthy,

My father Tony :lol: also has diabetes. He's been trying to gain weight and has been eating Glucerna meal bars, which are made for diabetics. He also drinks the Glucerna shakes, which he says aren't bad. But if Tony doesn't like Ensure, he probably wouldn't like the Glucerna drinks either. Although I think they might be better blended with fruit and ice.

So sorry you had to deal with a doctor who has the bedside manner of a turd. But, the important thing is that Tony is home and all comfy in his chair.

Christine

" Yeah, doc. It's Sunday, I'm tired, and I'm not inclined to argue with all of you clowns who do not seem to be able to put your collective experience to work to come up with a plan because his case is too difficult for you to take some time with. BUT I WILL IF I HAVE TO SO GET YOUR POOP TOGETHER!"

(scratch cheek with middle finger)

Glad Tony's home in a comfortable place. Hope his difficulty breathing can ease up, even just a little.

~Karen

Debi, I've already posted to one of your threads under another forum and had no idea what was going on with you and Tony as I've been out of town. That doctor is a total moron. Dont take it lying down. Sure you handled it OK but the next person he lays that on might not be able to take it as well as you. He needs to be stopped and stopped now before he does more mental and emotional damage to other patients and caregivers. You have your hands full with Tony but if you have any time or energy I'd sure like to see you give that guy his come uppance.

Anyway, with all of that said the important thing is Tony and I'm glad he's home and getting superior care at home compared to the hospital. Do take good care of both of you. God Bless

wendyr