dotted and crossed.....

Fay A.

went to the radiation oncologist for tattooing...I have had dots tattooed on my chest....but then they took a permanent marker and made great big green crosses right on top of the dots. I'm thinking to myself "okay...why the need for permanent dots when they're just going to take markers and draw on me? And what is up with the green ink? It does match my eyes, but that's going just a bit too far, even for me.

THEN they wanted to know if I had markers at home (I do), and someone who could redo the crosses each day after I showered (may have to pull someone off the street) Does this sound normal to you guys? (having to draw the X marks the spot thing...not the pulling someone off the street to draw the Xs :roll: )

What an interesting day it has been.... :shock:

Fay,

You made me laugh out loud! If you asked someone on the street to come in and draw green crosses on your chest, they would be hauling you off in a straight jacket and not to get your radiation treatments I'm afraid :wink: -- that is, unless you're drop dead beautiful (are you?). Yes, they did exactly the same thing to my husband, and his x's were green also, but we didn't have to keep remarking them - maybe they just remarked them every day. I don't know. I'll have to ask him tomorrow.

Peggy

Fay,

Mine weren't always green, sometimes the techs used metallic pens and it was silver! I didn't redraw mine, the techs lined things up on the tattooes and they re-drew them. Not sure why they are telling you to draw your own or find someone to do it - maybe they're giving you a "line" to use when out where there are available men folk... "Could you help a girl out? Please, let's play connect-the-dots." :oops:

Looking for stewed, screwed and tattooed, maybe?? I dunno...

Maybe you'll have to go in with crooked lines and tell 'em you had SOOO much fun with the guy you pulled in off the street and you just couldn't stop laughing... :wink:

Take care!

Becky

Oh, and a hint..

If you are one of the "lucky" people to get a metallic taste in your mouth while the actual radiation is going on (the machine zappin' ya), try sucking on sour candy. It helps to mask the nastiness... I used the Altoids Tangerine Sours... Pucker power!

(I think the taste is a 10% of population thing...knowing how YOUR odds work, figure you'll be in that 10% along with me! ) 8)

Didn't have to redraw mine myself....and no permanent tatoos. They used a blue paint on me. I had to be careful in the shower and not rub it off but water didn't budge it. But then, I live in the country and would have a hard time finding someone "off the street" :lol:

Each day they would redraw the lines...on weekends they put a very light tape over the lines....told me "don't sweat" ...well that was the hardest part for a country girl. :wink:

Good luck .......get plenty of rest.

Nina,

aka Nushka

Hi y'all,

Did you really get tatoos?I only got blue markers and tape.They would replace the tape and mark it over a blue mark that was on my skin also.So I had a marked piece of tape over a blue mark.In case the tape came off.Your posts are getting racier and racier Fay.I am too far away to be the man on the street and on one of your last posts I was going to say that I would never sacrafice the whole banana.LOL.Y'all have a great weekend.I wish and pray for the best for all of us.TBone

Fay,

John had the markers too but thankfully they did not have to be redrawn. Are they going to shoot you from different angles?

TBone, how did you not get the lovely blue tatoos????

Hang in there Fay I'm sure you can find someone to draw on your chest. :wink: If we were closer I'd be happy to volunteer, i could make use of that Fine Arts degree... :P John says he'd be happy to draw on your chest too.

Rochelle

I have my tatoos that you keep forever but I never had any drawings done. They said they lined up on the tatoos to be sure they aimed at the correct spot. My tatoos look like blue freckles. Donna G

Hi Fay,I have the tatoos also.My chest looked like a roadmap when they were done.After a good while(months later )the actual tatoo should only be a few very very small dots to be used as reference points to reestablish the same spot if ink lines are lost or in need of future rad.The green ink or markers never washed away with soap and showering until after three or four showers.As they became faded the techs remarked them.Like a rifle scope so when they shoot it's a bullseye every time.Now I can barely find the tatooed dots myself and I know where they are.

Besides they probably figured it would be impossible for me to get someone(a beautiful blonde perhaps )to even look at my chest.HEH HEH.

GOOD LUCK,

FRANK L.

I had the tattoos and they put a clear, soft tape over the marker lines so they stayed for a week or more. They would redraw them as needed. As for the metalic taste / smell when the machine first starts, in my case it was almost like a burst of chlorine smell. They said is was due to the massive amount of ozone that was charged by the machine. I smelled it both with the radiation to my chest and also during my PCI treatments.

Best wishes on your treatments.

God Bless,

MO

Fay,

If word gets out you have a need for chest players, your neighborhood will be overflowing with volunteers I am sure so watch your step or should I say watch your chest.....lol.

Buddy had two different treatments of radiation and never did I have to redraw on him.

Jim had blue tattoo dots that were permenant, then they drew red and blue crosses, never asked me to do anything. He was getting Chemo at the same time, I teased him - tattoos and a bald head, he needed a gold earring and he could be a pirate. We also joked about the tattoos, our granddaughter would be jealous. After radiation was over the other marks faded and the little dots are hard to even find.

I got a couple of tatoos for my breast radiation, but they looked so much like freckles or moles that the tech couldn't even find them when the time came.

They did draw lines where they wanted to line up the laser for the radiation, but the radiation tech took care of redrawing those every day, and believe me, even though it was August here in Illinois, the ink didn't come off.

I also however did not get very active during that time--radiation was more tiring to me that chemo was.

Still have some clothes that the ink never did come out of though....

Fay,

I was only marked with a red and blue perm marker, no tape. But then the radiation onc's equipment was from the middle ages. It was so old, the tech had to keep the drawer open so the circuit boards didn't heat up during treatment. The doctor here was a real piece of work and a meiser, looking for the almighty $$$$$. That's why I said to my doctor I will NEVER EVER go back to Dr. Kim. He loves to come to the hospital to solicit business, gets patients while they are on their back. He is the one who over radiated me. My hubby works in nucleur medicine. He does the repairs on the equipment here in California for major hospitals, has done this for 18 years. Cedars, VA Hospitals, Children's Hospital of LA and Orange County just to name a few. They just kept marking me up each week, no tatoos... You are in my prayers always and thinking of you...

God Bless and Happy Easter,

Karen

Fay,

My mom also just got the tatoos and marking (hers is turquoise). They didn't ask her to redraw it at home, but they do redraw it on her each and every day when she goes. She is supposed to try to keep that area dry, but she has a hard time showering and keeping the top of her chest dry :) It kind of fades and they retrace it.