May I please have your permission to use your pictures?

Sam'swifeShirley

Dear family.

I have decided, at a rather late date I might add, to join in our local American Cancer Society's Relay For Life fundraiser May 17th and 18th. For several weeks I have been trying to find out more about the event. Today, I went to the American Cancer website and found the name and number of a local person and called her. Although she says there is no actual deadline to participate, the extra time makes it easier.

While teams and organizations have been collecting donations for months, the event officially begins Friday afternoon with a torch run to the event site. At 7:00pm there will be a survivors' walk, a caretaker's walk and a team parade. Then at 9:30pm there will be a luminary service. At this time, a candle will be lit in memory of a loved one lost to cancer or in honor of a cancer survivor. The event will continue thru the night with a continuous relay with various entertainment during the night. The event concludes at 8:00am on Saturday.

I am recruiting members to join my team, the "breathers for life". Each member will collect donations for our team as well as participate in the events as much as possible. Each team may put up a tent at the site and participate in the best decorated tent contest. This year's decorating tent theme is "It's A Small World" and teams are encouraged to decorate accordingly. However, I would like to incorporate this theme along with lung cancer awareness and was told I could certainly do so. With everyone's permission, I would like to print your pictures and use to show the many faces of lung cancer. Also, I plan to copy some of the general but unknown info about lung cancer for distribution. Even though the fundraising event is for all cancer, hopefully I will be able to inform people on lung cancer and particularly this wonderful support site. If anyone objects, please let me know asap. I need to get started yesterday. Please wish me luck in this endeavor and pray for a successful and rain free event!

May God Bless Us All.

Sam'swifeShirley

Shirley,

If you're like me, it feels so very good to be DOING SOMETHING!! As I posted on April 19th in a string under the General forum entitled "TBone's Clan in Relay for Life Event", we have organized a family and friends team for our hometown Relay for Life on May 15th. Our team's name is "I Scream for a Cure" and we'll be making homemade ice cream to sell, the proceeds of which will also go to ACS. A friend of mine who has a sign-making business is donating signs that say "Churning for a Cause, Yearning for a Cure" and another friend who owns a screenprinting business is giving us a cut-rate price on aprons. We're using that "scream" painting as our logo, and my artist brother-in-law is making its head look like a swirled ice cream cone and is superimposing the words "I Scream for a Cure". I sent out a request for donations on Monday of last week (yes, only 8 days ago), and have already collected $775 and several more people have promised checks. Yahoo!

Since we're both in the Atlanta area, I'm sure we'll eventually run into one another at some cancer-related event. Perhaps you and I can combine our efforts to organize a lung cancer walk at some point in the future.

Good luck with the Relay in which you're participating. I'll be thinking of you as I walk my many laps.

Blessings,

TeeTaa

Shirley,

Please feel free to use my picture, story or whatever. I have done the "survivors lap" two times at these. I am sooooo glad that you are "featuring" lung cancer - let's get the word out! Thanks for what you are doing.

Love and hugs,

Nancy B

You are welcome to us my photo too.Like Dean says it may scare folks off though.As you can see from Tee Taa's post we will be tied up with a relay for life down here in small town Georgia too.The support of the people in this little community for me and my family has been incredible.Nothing like the South.Ooops.I hope that doesn't offend anyone.Praying for us all.TBone