So, I'm replying to a post, and it gets me wonderin'...

Debaroo

there are some pretty interesting 'usernames' here, and I'm figuring based on some of them-namely my own-that many of us use a nickname of some sort...so if you are willing to share, I'd LOVE to hear the background of some of these names. Also, if yours is not a nickname, but just a username for this site, what made you come up with it? I figure sharing some of this info. will be interesting, and telling...

I'll start. My birthname is Debra, I've always been called Debi by everyone, except for by one of Dads best friends-his name is Tony-and he has called me Debaroo since I was a small child...he still does, and it is fine by me...he has made up little sing songy ways to say it: His kids, my friends, Danielle, Annemarie and Michael use the variation: Debaroo-roo, and Tony has been known to refer to me as: Debaroo-I-A (not sure what that one is about). Anyway, Tony has been calling me Debaroo for roughly 30 years, now. He was so surprised when I told him my 'handle' on this site. It is actually a term of endearment, as our families have always been VERY close.

Well, it might not be too interesting, but thats where Debaroo comes from. So, how about all of you out there? Any interesting anicdotes regarding your user or nick-name? I'd love to hear them. Take care, guys, Deb

PS. don't be embarrassed, you are among friends here...you all remember how delacately we handled DaveG's sorry excuse for a dog-er-rat dog-er, you get it. So, lets hear from you.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well mine is boring too. Ry is my shortened version of Rochelle Yvonne.

When I was first married I added John's name to mine so I had a long hyphenated last name. In order to save writing out my full name I shortened my first name to Ry. Not too much later I got a job substitute teaching and it was too much to write both last names on the board everyday and hard for the kids to say so I went to one last name and back to Rochelle. I dusted off Ry to use here.

(Speaking of Dave Grant, Debaroo, he called my house once and asked for Ry. My son was like, "Who???")

OK...here's the background on "Hebbie".

When I was born, my brother couldn't say "Heather" -- he said "Hebber"....and it sort of stuck! It evolved over the years and became "Hebbie".

When I when I was in high school, "Hebbie" turned into all sorts of variations, "Heb", "Hebster" and "Hebmeister" being just a few. My dad got me my first car and the license plate said "Heb 87" (the year I graduated high school).

There are very few people left in my life from childhood who still call me by nickname. A few scattered friends. It's mostly my close family. And believe me -- NOTHING makes me smile like hearing my daddy say "Hi Hebbie!" when I walk in his front door. It takes me right back to my childhood! Of course, my little 14 month old neice calling me "Aunt Hebbie" is a close runner up!!! :D

ps -- my husband NEVER calls me Hebbie.....he calls me different nicknames all the time, usually relating to food ~ "Lovebagel", "Peanuthead", "Fruitloop"....don't ask me why, but it always makes me laugh! :lol:

"Tiny Somethin'" was my dad's nickname for me from the very beginning, and, quite naturally, it was shortened to just "Tiny". It is used only by my immediate family and my Internet LCSC family :D, not personal friends or acquaintances.

Fun thread, Debaroo :lol:

Thanks Deb for starting this thread! I have often wondered how people came up with their usernames...

the "niece" part is from Denise, my dad calls me niece (my mom calls me Chick, not sure why, but I love it!)

the "cola" part comes from my last name, which also happens to be the name of a toilet bowl! My friend Kirsten from London pronounces my last name "cola" and when I opened my first Yahoo e-mail account, she helped me come up with the last part of my username, and now I use niececola everywhere....

I am known by my sisters, and my numerous neices and newhpews as "Cubba." My baby sister couldn't say "Cheryl." I have no idea how come the connection. It is endearing to hear a little three year old call me "Cubba." I worked in the schools sometimes, and the teachers of my relatives would say, "So, you are Aunt Cubba." Ha!

Cheryl

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

Bean si or bean sidhe has negative connotations in ancient Celtic fables. However, it literally means woman of the sidhe or fairy woman. In yahoo groups, I'm known as draiocht bean si or magic fairy woman.

My nickname where I used to work was Elf. That was NOT my choice. Some of the officers used to joke that I was tired around Christmas because I had been up all night making toys. During the rest of the year, they said I'd been up all night, working in a hollow tree, making cookies. :roll:

Cat is a nickname based on one of my (writing) pseudonyms. I have three pseudonyms.

I believe in a saying of John O'Donohue: Never name things too tightly.

Cat

Adding this later: 20 years ago, in one of the ERs where I worked, I was called Smurfette. Remember the Smurfs? I have no idea which co-worker came up with that. No one would admit to it. It was so bad that the doctors, et.al. forgot my real name. One night, an officer brought someone in and asked who could check the person in and he was told to go talk to the Smurfette. :roll::roll:

Oh goodie, my turn!

I moved to Michigan from Alaska...at the time, I was divorcing and didn't want my almost-ex-husband to be able to either use my email accounts, or change my password, cancel the account, etc. Obviously, I couldn't use my name in any email account and thought "Snowflake" fit me - I'm pretty darn unique and no two snowflakes are the same...

So I've been Snowflake in some form or other since 1998...prior to that, I had the moniker "Frostbit_in_AK".

(My dad used to call me SnickleFritz or SnolleyGodger...)

Becky

Added:

Oh yeah, Becky ain't my name either. I'm a Rebecca... My grandmother calls me BeckSue (no "y", all run together). I've used "Sunnybrook" and "Sunnybrook Girl" on other boards a while ago...

I also answer to: Mom, Aunt Becky, hey you, Airhead (high school - although the locker neighbor that called me that died in November) , Dingy, Curly Top, Blue Eyes, McBecky (McMoron by my brother, he liked Andy Andrews), Shorty, Blondie...and various others that aren't fit to print...

Okay, I am boring. My 'real' name is Virginia, never ever called that, and Ginny is the standard nickname - how dull.

BUT -

My sister was named Almarie. My grandfather, who hated nicknames, called her Toni Spaghetti because when she was first learning to talk he said she mixed up her words like spaghetti. This was shortened (thank God) to just Toni, which is what every one called her.

As you know my sister died the end of May. The night before her funeral her daughter and husband had a spaghetti dinner in her honor. They had at least 12 different toppings, (turkey meatballs, beef meatballs, shrimp etc). My nephew made a speech about how Toni Spaghetti loved her name but he said that this dinner took more work than any dinner they had made and that he wished our grandfather had nicknamed by sister Toni Tenderloin.

She would have loved that story too.

Before I hiked the Appalachian Trail in '94, I wanted to come up w/ a trail name. Several years prior, my husband and I had attempted to ski into a backcountry cabin in the mountains of Quebec named Refuge du Lac Esperance (or something like that). Because of a huge snowstorm and several feet of unpacked snow, we never made it to that cabin, but I never forgot about that trip. I looked up "Esperance" in a French dictionary and found that in English it meant hope. I knew that in order to finish the AT, I would probably be able to use some hope. I mentioned to my twin sister and a friend that I was thinking about using the trailname Esperance; they thought it was too long, so I shortened it to Espy.

Mine is real boring too. my name is David, my middle name is Arley(very unique name, my maternal grandfathers name) hence DavidA

I've had many nicknames in my life starting with funny feet due to having slight birth defect when born to Hoppingtoad(last name is Hopkins), toad, frog,Downerdave(in high school) , Odin, Dave Odin, toad odin, Bigdave, Crazydave, B.U.M.F. to name a few.

Fun to hear everyones reason for nicknames

Mine is simply my first and middle name smooshed together. Rather boring but every time I tried to log on to any site that needed user names "Dean" was already taken and I don't like using numbers so ....

Now I'm pretty lucky in a way. You see my parents almost made me a "junior" and named me after my Dad. Back in the early 1900's (my dad was born in 1909) his name was fairly common among the scandinavian communities Minnisota and Wisconson where he was born and raised. However, by 1950, when I was born the name was definately NOT common. The name? "Knute Orivill". Like I said ... lucky me! :)

Dean

Mine is pretty boring also. My name is actually Candace and Candy is the standard nickname and what most everyone calls me. I do have 2 friends that use Candace. My brother and sister and a couple of family friends call me Bird. Some friend of my parents once told me I was flighty like a bird when I was a kid and that stuck and I have been Bird to family members ever since. Hugh never called me by my name. I don't think I heard him refer to me as Candy more than twice in the entire time we were together and once was our wedding vows. He literally had a new name for me everyday and sometimes 2 or 3 in a day. Some were cute, some were socially unacceptable. The kids still laugh about that. When Jeremy walked into the house one day with his then new girlfriend Sarah (now his wife) and Hugh said "Hi Saranade" Jeremy turned around with a huge grin on his face and excitedly said "You've got a nickname, your really part of the family now!" Saranade has stuck. This is a great thread!

I have been missing out. I like this thread! Mine is also pretty boring. My user name starts with "tn" for Tennessee. My husband and I are BIG University of Tennessee football and Lady Vols fans. GO BIG ORANGE! We have been going to home games since I attended in the late 70's/early 80's. He went for many years before that with his parents. Mynatt is our last name.

Nushka is a nickname my now husband gave me when we were dating. He has since changed my nickname several times...is Issy at present...but the Nushka has always had a special place in my heart...thus the nick. I use it on almost all of the places online that you need a nickname. I am Nushka, Nushie, Nush....or Nina :lol: Not very interesting, but all true. This is fun...feels very personal..and I like that.

Nina

I always HATED my name -- it was so dull.... I was named after a great grandmother "Ellen". Other names were so fashionable back in the middle ages when I was young -- I was dying to be "Linda" -- all the really cool girls were named Linda. Or maybe something truly exotic, like Christabel. But no, I had to be plain old Ellen.

My parents and much older siblings called me "Elly" but I left that behind me when I went off to school. My husband calls me "El" -- he's too lazy to say the full name, tongue twister that it is.

When I signed up for AOL, I tried to put on my full name - Ellen Nodelman - thinking that since my last name was so relatively rare, I would no trouble. But no -- AOL already had an Ellen Nodelman. So I tried ENodelman. And guess what--name already taken. Elnodel was my third try and, bingo, I was online. Since then I've just gotten used to using my email address as a screen name anywhere I go online.

Now that's REALLY dull...

Ellen