What would you want for your 50th birthday?

Mom's 50th birthday is today and my stepdad has decided that our extended family will be meeting at a Mexican restaurant tomorrow night to celebrate. It will be nice, but mom can hardly swallow anything, let alone Mexican! She has not had her last 2 chemo treatments because her white blood count is so low. I am concerned about her being around that many people. I think I'll show up early and lysol everything, you can call me anal if you want :lol:

I had my 2 boys (ages 2 and 4) decorate a hat and scarf for her with iron-ons and fabris paint, they are so cute, saying that NANA is the best, etc.

If you were my mom, what would you want from your only daughter on your 50th birthday? I had planned months ago before we found she was sick to go out of town, just her and I, but that cannot happen now. I was thinking of writing her a long letter, but I am not sure. Please send me some ideas of what ould make YOU bubble with joy if you were in her shoes. THANKS THANKS THANKS!!!

Lori

Hi Lori,

As a mom with grown children, who always ask me "what do you want for your birthday" I tell them all the time just a card, I think you expressing your feelings to your mom will make her so happy..If you want to get her something special how about a mothers ring. I have one and wear it with pride everyday..Good luck let us know how it goes..

I think the idea of a Mother's Ring is wonderful!!! I also like your idea of writing a long letter. Sometimes it is hard to express our feelings with our loved ones when we know what they are experiencing as they fight this terrible disease. I think it is often much easier to write our feelings than it is to speak them. And...your Mom will have that letter to read over again and again when she needs a lift!!!!!

She wouldn't drink alcohol if I forced her! She used to enjoy beer and wine, but refuses now because of all of the medication. I think a glass of wine would do her good!

I can relate to your mom -- I haven't touched a drop of alchohol since diagnoses, I figure I need my body in tip-top fighting shape. I follow the guidelines that if it isn't good for a pregant woman, it can't be good for me either! (fish w/ mercury, foods w/ nitrates, alcohol....)

As far as your mommy's birthday, if she is anything like my mom, she would love anything sentimental from you. Maybe a collage of old photos of the two of you, maybe a book of mother/daughter poems......and if you do write her a letter, maybe keep it to one page and put it in a pretty frame? If you want to make a "girls day", how about an outing to the local spa for pedicures together?

It doesn't mater what you do, as long as it comes from the heart, she will cherish it always!

Lori,

Happy Birthday to your Mom. I bet she will love the hat and scarf your kids made. I think the letter is a great idea and also still plan that day out of town - it will give her something to look forward to and plan for.

If your stepdad insists on the dinner maybe you can get a private room and then go in alittle early and air it out. She could wear a mask if there are alot of people around. I wear mine into the grocery store, doctor's office, anywhere there are alot of people. Maybe you should check with her doctor about being around people with her blood counts down.

I just hope she has a great day and you sound like a very loving daughter.

Love and hugs,

Nancy

I'll echo what Nancy said about checking with the doctor about low white counts and going out, especially if she's having problems eating solid scratchy food. These may be the original plans, but circumstances change....

Ask your mom about this dinner, and if she's really up for it.

I agree with the sentimental stuff, esp photos. That's a keeper for sure.

Happy Birthday, Mom!

XOXOXOXOX

MaryAnn

Prayers, always

I was about to suggest pedicures together, but then I saw heather beat me to it :)

I am an only child and I know that all my mom wants from me is me. And to see me happy. Do you both go shopping together? Just time alone and lunch would probably make her bubble over!

Everyone has given you great ideas. I know I would love the letter...something to read over and over. I second the idea of wearing a mask...there is no question that she should not be exposed to other's germs. I have had to cancel events due to low counts...but never my birthday. Tell her happy birthday for me and I hope it is a blessed event.

Margaret

LETTER!!! I know I still have cards the kids have made for me since they were little. Also the I am sorry notes they would write and slip under the door at night.

Moms love things that thier kids make. Esp. a letter from you to her on what she means to you. Mention memories that you have, also the picture idea is good. If you can put one together fast enough!

Happy day tomorrow.

Love Cindy

So many good ideas already...one that is mentioned above is a scrapbook or photo album. My sister did that once for my mom, took a whole bunch of old photos from her birth and childhood up to and including both of us girls...my mom melted! And I am sure that you would enjoy putting it together and reflecting back on many good times.

I wish your mother a very happy birthday.

Tracy

Wow, great ideas - I plan to steal several for my mom's next birthday :twisted:

Something we did for a beloved (altho' totally wild) pastor who was moving to another church is that we set up a video camera and had people come in and tell their favorite stories about her, favorite memories, etc. It turned out great and she loved it. Happy B'day to your mom!

Lori

For my Mom's 50th birthday, I sat down and wrote her a poem. I AM NOT a writer by any means, but when I got the idea and sat down to do it, the words just came pouring out of me. I went back to my childhood, I thanked her for all she has done for me..........and at the end of it, I had to poke her a bit about turning 50. We had many friends and family members meet at a restaraunt to surprise her. She thought she was only meeting me and my family. It was great. While we were all waiting on our food, I read the poem outloud with my Mom standing beside me. She was crying, I was crying..........heck, almost everyone in the place was crying. It was good tears though. My Mom had the poem framed and it is hanging in her living room so that she can see it every day. She says that it is bar none the best gift she has ever received.

Anything that you do yourself, I think that she will love. If you can't write a poem, write the letter that you are taking about. Type it out on some pretty computer paper and print it out. You could read it to her at her party. I also like the idea of you both going for pedicures. No guys....no kids......just you and your Mom.

Have a great time at her party!!

Angie

Lori, When I turned 50, all I wanted was to be 45. :) Since you can't give her that, I love the ideas about writing a poem or a letter. I wish I would have thought of doing something like that for my mom and dad. She will love anything from you personally like that.

Peggy

Thanks to everyone who replied. The scarf and hat made her cry her eyes out at my house last night (they were pretty sweet), so I can't imagine what a letter may do to her at dinner. I think I'll save it until we are in a more intimate situation. I so want to start scrapbooking with her, so hopefully she will feel well enough soon to share in this adventure with me.

: ) Lori

The letter would be my choice and I just turned 50 but have sons and they dont do that kind of stuff LOL They do write wonderful things on my cards though and that is what makes me the happiest!! Write a letter from your heart to your Mom and give it to her when you say can take her out to lunch ( somewhere just the 2 of you are). I think a letter is personal and is meant for the reciever unless she chooses to share it. Open your heart and it will speak for you. What a wonderful gift ... a letter of love from your daughter. happy Birthday to your Mom!!

God Bless You All,

Jane

Happy Birthday Lori's Mom!

I like all the ideas I've read here. Some can even be combined. You could create a scrapebook with pictures from your mom's life. Take your mom out for a day of Beauty, and go for a mother and daughter portrait sitting. That way you can end the scrapbook with the two of you together now, and with your letter to your mother framed in its pages. I think they all go together well.