I Stand Beside You.

David P

Hi everyone.

From color to chrome again. We had our big head shave in support of our local police members riding bicycles for 13 days raising money for cancer research. We managed to pull together $10,900 in just three weeks. I'm so proud of the students we have at my school. Having never been through chemo or radiation, I've always been a little in the dark when you all are talking specifics, and could only imagine how you feel when in the depths of treatment. I have just finished Lance Armstrong's first book, "It's not about the bike", where he describes in detail how chemo treated him, and how he dealt with it. So I think I now have a better understanding about the effects of treatment, and I wouldn't mind talking to someone who has gone through chemo AND read Lance's book. Anyway, myself, 12 other teachers, and 35 students stand beside you today in the fight we are all fighting. My hat (and my hair) are off to you all. Take care,

David P.

David

It looks good on you!!!

By the way, I think it is wonderful that you continue to be so active in the fight against cancer. With your efforts, and the efforts of others like you, perhaps one day in the not too distant future, there will be many more long-term survivors to join in the fight!!!

Karen

David, Thank You for being such an inspiration to many of us.And also for your continued efforts to raise money to fight cancer.I have been thru chemo,radiation,& surgery (also had my left lung removed).I would be more than happy to talk with you about it,feel free to pm,email,or phone.

Thank you so much for continuing to be here with us. I have read the book, but I too haven't been through the treatments. But I do know that Becky read your story over and over again, and it was such a source of hope to her that not only could she beat the disease but that she could be as powerful and competent a woman once she had beaten it. And it doesn't matter that she didn't; you made her last year better than it would have been, and I am sure that Becky is not the only one inspired since you have been here. So many many thanks.

Curtis

My favorite part of the book is when the doctor comes to him and explains that his cure is a gift and he needs to now give back and show his thanks. It strikes me that you have done the same thing...given back..paid the debt forward by helping the kids.

Rochelle

$10.900 in 3 weeks, thats great!

I can't help you with the chemo info, I start mine next Monday and I dread it completely but I've accepted the fact that I have to do it.

Lance's book might be interesting reading, think I'll wait until my 2nd round of chemo before I buy it. I don't know that I'd want to read it before I start.

Kathy

David,

Thanks so much for continuing to fight this fight. Its really not fair that you do look so good without hair. I never would have let my husband take a picture of me without a hat or wig. Congratulations on the big bucks. You must have a wonderful bunch of kids.

Nina

Hi David.

My first go-around with lung cancer was 4 years ago - nsclc-6 cm tumor, surgery-no chemo or radiation. I read your posts about exercise and keeping active. I completed 2 half marathons last year (walk/run) - 1 to raise money for cancer support. Your story was very inspiratioanal to me. Now I have sclc, surgery in June and 4 cycles of chemo (NO HAIR) and looking forward to (NOT!) brain radiation. I am still planning to do at least one more half-marathon. Your recent accomplishment was even more inspiration. I really want to get back into training. I just want to thank you, your fellow teachers and your students for taking the time and the energy to do this. I would really like to talk to you about your training schedule. I have read Lance's first book and it also gave me great incentive to complete the marathons. Thanks for all your support

Nancy B

David,

Thanks for the shave, good dome.

I did the same in 2002, when my husband got his dx,

my hair was lower than my waist, straight and jet black

and I had it shaved for cancer, now I keep my hair 1/4

inch long at all time, no more braiding for me.

I am waiting for it to get white before I let it grow again.

J.C.

Thank you David for your continued support. You are truly an inspiration. A note on Lance's book, I read it during my first chemo treatments, and was feeling really sick. I just kept thinking, "I'm just a normal gal, mom, wife with a normal life. I AM NOT Lance Armstrong, who is probably in better shape physically than 95% of the human race. I actually got discouraged. But, I made it through that chemo, and another chemo regimine and am about to face my 3rd bout of baldness with WBR next week! (Maybe I AM as strong as Lance! :wink: )

TAnn