Onco Visit

Kasey

I hope this is as good a news for you as it has been for me. Before I post it - thank you to MaryAnn(mhutch) and Becky (Snowflake) for your input and help in making this possible.

I met with the onco yesterday for a followup of the chemo he administered. This is the SAME one who told me in the fall that I was incurable, would NEVER be curable, and would NEVER be a cndidate for surgery. I knew nothing back then and sat like a whipped puppy and accepted all of what he said.

Then, with the help of this site, I gathered info, hope, resources and moved on to a surgeon who did not see things quite the same way. So yesterday I strolled in all gussied up, with makeup, great outfit, my "favorite" wig, manicure, and pedicure, to see this Howdy Doody. (Does everyone know who Howdy Doody is? Guess I am really giving away my age.) He told me I looked good. I told him not only that, I WAS good. I even had reports and scans sent to him from my surgeon to prove it. He did a cursory exam of me. Knowing that I am examined by my FAVORITE doctor at NIH, I guess he thought what really was there HE could do.

At this time I came out from my shell. I had all the info provided by MaryAnn and Becky. He answered all those queries and upon further questioning provided even more explanations. Then I presented him with MY statistics for pancoast tumors. Including me - I know of 10. There has been 1 mortality. Survival ranges from Heidi's mom (Calintay)who had surgery after me, to Donna G.'s phone buddy who is 17 years. Was he impressed or what! I told him WE are the group making the pancoast statistics and any stat reports were NOT for us. Then I wanted to know what HE was planning to do as my onco HERE in PA to assure that I would remain cancer free. Boy, that one blew him away.

Long story here - sorry. I am so bleepin' happy I did this!!!!! He is going to present MY case to the tumor board here. He wants to share the reports and scans to show the local yokels what CAN be done besides crossing people off the list.

So LC family - thank you for knowledge, power, support, and most of all the spunk you gave me to do this. I could feel each and every one of you standing there with me and it was an awesome feeling. And a special thank you MaryAnn and Becky!!! Today is a GREAT day! Yesterday was NOT too bad either!

Kasey

And Kasey tomorrow and the next and the next will be better and better. We need more like you that will shake up the oncs and say I am not willing to roll over and play dead until each and every option has been considered.

You are my hero too. You go girl!!!!!!!!!

Boy when you come out of your shell you really come out.

Kasey, I think you gave the Onocologist HOPEI imagine he must have seen a lot of people giving up and very sick and perhaps had lost hope himself. You are awesome! Donna

Kasey,

It's so good to be proactive with your care and you should feel very happy and proud of yourself. You accomplished a lot with your oncologist and it will affect his attitude and treatment of all his patients for the rest of his career.

I just believe that someone, if not the patient, then the caregiver needs to be on top of everything. We got my husband's PET scan report yesterday, and it was supposed to be compared to a PET scan that was done just 2 months ago. As I read the report, I was SHOCKED at the amount of increased growth there was in just 2 months - BUT, the report was WRONG. The radiologist had compared to Sept. 2004 instead of March 2005. I got that radiologist on the phone myself and politely asked him to prepare a supplement. He did, and while there was still some disturbing growth, it wasn't as horrible as the first report sounded, especially for a 2 month period of time.

So, I'll use your very own words and add some words for everyone to read and remember: Knowledge, power, support and spunk are very important to the aggressive treatment of this disease. I think it's critical for long-term survival. Don' be afraid to ask questions and question the answers.

Love and hugs for doing such a good job with your onc!

Peggy

HOWDY DOODY???? :lol::lol: I Love it!! I have two Howdy Doody Glasses. They use to come with Jelly in them. Memory Lane!!!!! :wink:

Kasey, I gotta tell you my dear friend, I can just picture you walking in all gussied up with your HEAD HELD HIGH and YOUR CONFIDENCE ON YOUR SHOULDER'S and IN YOUR HEART! I could feel that coming from your post right here!! :wink: ((((KASEY)))) You sound as Proud as a Peacock and Rightfully so! YOU GO GIRLFRIEND!! GOOD JOB!

Many Hugs and Lots of Support,

Connie

Kasey,

Great news. You sound so good . I am really happy for you. SOunds like you really surprised him....

I have a really good onco here in Scranton also.

By the way I sent you a PM some time ago and never heard back??????

What I was curious about was how long ago you quit smoking and how are you doing with that??

I am having a really hard time. I think I remember you saying to me when you came to visit how hard it was for you.

Good luck and you are always in my thoughts and prayers.

Kasey, I like what you did. You may just well have saved the lives of other pancoast people who present to this onco for treatment.

Your point was well taken.

I thank you for doing all of this and you should feel extra proud of your efforts.

love, cindi o'h

YOU RULE KASEY!!!!!! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

I love your SPUNK... I wish I could have been there to see his face.

So now, what will come of this is (besides your knowledge, and his lack of it) they will know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. That he had no clue was there. You, enlightened them. I love it!! :lol:

I am so proud of you. You have come such a long way from that little, meek girl hiding in the shadows, to a very aggessive individual. You have given hope to so many because of your story.

You are a treasure with sll the support you give with you posts. :D

THANK YOU. You have given so much in return.

Maryanne :wink:

PS. A big thank you for MaryAnn and Becky for making it all happen!!

Good for you, Kasey. It is so important that the doctors treating lung cancer patients become educated about the people who are surviving this disease...like the others have said, subsequent patients of this doctor may now be given hope rather than despair. Congratulations!

Karen