Year #1

ginnyde

In a little less than 18 hours it will be 1 year since Earl died. In many ways it seems like it is much longer ago, but in others, I remember him like he just went to work this morning. I can hear his voice, I can see his eyes and smile and I can feel his skin.

Is it easier now? Sometimes I think yes and sometimes no. I miss him and ache for his company. I met a woman last night whose husband died six months ago from lung cancer. She couldn't remember the date. She bragged about taking care of him because it was expected but she started dating within weeks of his death. I found it very sad for her husband.

While I am sad for me, I am mostly sad for Earl that he died so young and was so sick for so long. He is missing our oldest grandchild driving and the youngest yet to be born in September. He will never get to travel the USA by car and see all of its splendor. He will never see his Eagles win the Super Bowl, (not sure if any of us will), but boy did he love the Eagles.

I am blessed. I had the best 26 years a gal could have. And with his planning and wisdom, he made sure that I was taken care of. I am surrounded by family and friends still, none have wondered away. I have had 8 invitations for tomorrow night, aren't I lucky. I am spending it with my best friend of 45 years, we will remember, we will laugh, we will gossip. I have this huge family here and oh how I worry about you and rejoice when there is good news.

I miss him.

Ginny...like Connie, I can hardly believe that it has been one year since you lost the love of your life. I just realized that you and I both have something in common...26 years with the man of our dreams. I'm so glad you're going to be keeping busy this evening. Ginny, I just want to take this opportunity to tell you how very special you are and how much your positive posts mean to so many people. I, for one, can definitely understand why your dear Earl loved you so much!!! I'm going to have a drink this evening and raise a glass to "The Duke."

Ginny,

you are a very special woman.

Very lucky to have loved so deeply.

Lucky to have been loved as much.

I am sad that Earl is no longer there for you

to sqeeze.

Don't know what I want to say. I am just honored to read this post. And honored that you are here.

We all love you to pieces, Ginny.

Cindi o'h

Gosh. I can hardly believe this myself. I remember chats when you'd tell us Earl was beside you. It just can't be a year already, can it? Oh well.

I didn't really "know" either of you that well because I was new then too, but you surely made a huge impact on me. It broke my heart when we lost Earl in this forum, because I was so new, and just wasn't ready for all the reality -- not quite yet.

Bless you, you dear lady, and thanks again to the both of you for sharing Earl and his experiences with us.

Di

Ginny,

Will be thinking of you and the Duke.

We can shed tears that you are gone

Or we can smile because you have lived.

We can close our eyes and pray that you will come back

Or we can open our eyes and see all that you have left.

Our hearts can be empty because we can't see you

Or we can be full of the love we shared.

You heart will always be full of the love you shared.

J.C.

Ginny,

You are a very selfless woman to grieve for all of life's moments that Earl is missing. Even in the saddest of moments, isn't it wonderful to have so many memories made from 26 wonderful years together.....Like yourself and Ann, Jim and I had 26 wonderful years together too (I usually say 27 years since it was 26 years & 8 months but who's counting).

Enjoy your night with your best friend.

Lynne

Ginny,

It does not seem possible that Earl has been gone one year.... I know tonight will be difficult... I just tried to give you a call and then it dawned on me that I may have an old number??? Didn't get an answering machine.... Anyway my friend, know I am thinking of you and I am sure Earl is very close by tonight helping you through this time. God Bless you my friend. Love, Sharon

Ginny, I am thinking of you. You have been such as a support for me on this cancer journey. I so look up to you. You are so strong and always know the right things to say to us on the site. God bless you, and you were so lucky to have a wonderful loving man. Your love for Earl and his for you sound so magical.You are blessed. Nancy C

Ginny, my heart aches for you as you mark this milestone, missing Earl for one year. Anyone could tell what a special relationship you two had. I think it also says a lot that you had 8 invitations for tomorrow night! Sounds like lots of people hold Earl's memory very close and want to help you honor that relationship, comfort you, and celebrate the years you had with him.

I hope you and your best friend have just the kind of "celebration" you want.

BeckyCW

Hi Ginny. I absolutely identify with your whole message. It will be 8 months for me tomorrow and the last week has been especially hard for me for some reason I haven't figured out yet. Thank God for family and close friends and the fact that I have a job to go to this fall. I feel like I am close behind in your footsteps. Thanks for reporting in.

Cyndy