Mike Evans

Don Wood

I sadly report that Mike Evans passed away last week of SCLC in his home under Hospice care. Mike joined the website Nov. 27, 2004, shortly after diagnosis, and his last post was Sept. 26, 2005. Although Mike only made about a dozen posts through the year, he and his wife, Grace, read the posts here almost every day. Lucie and I had the privilege to meet this wonderful, loving couple through a local cancer support organization and we have become close friends over the past year. We will miss Mike greatly, and we will continue to support Grace. May Mike rest in peace.

The following is an excerpt of Mike’s obituary appearing in the Houston Chronicle Wednesday, October 26, 2005:

Michael “Mike” Evans, 54, passed away October 20, 2005, after a courageous battle against small cell lung, liver and brain cancer. Mike was born to Bernice Beard Evans and John Robert Evans, Sr., on August 5, 1951, in Dallas, Texas. He was preceded in death by his parents and his sister, Julia Margaret Evans. Mike is survived by his loving wife and soulmate, GraceMcLane Evans; his daughter, Nicole Denise Treese, and her husband, Bryan; his son, Michael Layton Evans; his stepson, Matthew Paul Insell; his two grandsons, Garrett and Hayden Treese; his sister, Mary Samuels, and her husband, Bradley; his brothers, John R. Evans, Jr., and his wife, Leigh, and Stephen Evans, and his wife, Kim, along with numerous greatly loved nieces and nephews, and many friends.

Mike will always be remembered as a devoted husband and father and loved his family and friends dearly. He always wanted to be remembered as a good man that paid his bills on time every time. His favorite pastimes were playing the piano and spending time with his wife and visiting his grandchildren.

Mike graduated from the University of Texas with a degree in Political Science. Shortly thereafter, he began his career in the homebuilding industry and found this to be his life’s passion. He was employed with General Homes and then U. S. Homes from 1975 to 1982. Mike owned a small custom homebuilding company named Englewood Homes from 1982-1988. He joined David Weekley Homes in 1988 for ten years before working for Ryland Homes until 2003. His last employment was as Division President for a small intown builder.

To honor his final request for further cancer research and education. Mike’s earthly remains were willed to UT Health Science Center, Houston, TX.

Oh Don,

I am so sorry to hear about Mike's passing. I did pm him a few times. I know that he put alot of effort into fighting this cancer and was willing to investigate all alternative solutions. He said that he befriended a few people here on this site with similar interests. I offer all of you my condolences on your loss of Mike.

Cindi o'h