A sad day

stand4hope

Allied Van Lines just pulled away with Don's beautiful Kawasaki motorcycle loaded and being shipped to my brother in California. Another phase in the acceptance of finality. I'm so sad. How many people cry over a motorcycle? Not many, I guess. My brother can hardly wait, and plans to try to take as good of care of it as Don did, and I'm sure he will. Now I have to go to work. Mike is so upset, he won't even come to the house. This is a very sad day for us.

Love to all,

Peggy

Oh Peggy...I know how broken hearted you are today. It still hurts so very much when I get rid of anything of anything that belonged to Dennis and he's been gone almost three years now. My youngest son just took his dads boat to his house two weeks ago. I stood in my yard and absolutely bawled. All of the wonderful times that Dennis and I had spent on that boat together seemed to flash before my eyes as Chris was pulling it away. Like the motorcycle, the boat is staying in the family but it's still painful to see these things leave. ((((((((Peggy)))))

Peggy, my brother called yesterday to tell me that he had sold Dad's boat. He was hurting badly over it and he said, "It's like I'm selling Dad off in pieces. Each thing that I see leave, it's like I'm losing Dad all over again."

It's a hard thing that's happening to you and Mike. Nothing makes it better, does it?

Kind thoughts,

Pam

Peggy dear,

Oh how I can relate. For months after Earl died I felt like I was giving, selling or throwing parts of him away. But a lot of it was necessary since I was downsizing - which was the right thing for me to do.

Even though you realize that it is the right thing to do, it doesn't make it any easier. It is another reminder of what is to be and that hurts alot.

Hang in there, it sounds like you are handling this in a healthy manner. Mike will come around, at his young age he hasn't developed the coping skills that us 'semi-older' folks have.

Oh Peggy I so understand. Like Ann it has been nearly 3 years for me and I still have all of Johnny's things and everything connected to our life together. Don't worry about crying over the bike. That is a major thing you are doing. I can't even throw away a reciept for coffee we shared at an espresso place. Everytime I try I set in the floor with it in my hand and the tears won't stop. Memories are so precious its hard to part with something that has so many attatched to it.

It takes so much away from us when we lose the one we love. There is just no right way to do things. No right time to part with those things that hold special memories. We just have to do it when we can and ask God to give us the strength to bear it.

Oh Peggy, so very crummy. I wish I could say something to make it easier, but I haven't found those magic words in this lifetime yet.

Jim's old pickup that he tooled around in with his 2 dogs (who had to share one bucket seat!) is still in the driveway. I've let the battery go dead and I'm sure the tires are square now. Didn't even move it into the garage, have just left it where he last parked it. So, I get this and I am so sorry you had to endure this. I'm so happy you have Mike even though it is too hard for him to absorb right now.

You are in my thoughts every day,

Lynne

Peggy,

I know how hard it is to let go of things that belonged to people we love. When mother died we kept her house for 1 1/2 years just like she left it. I would go over there and spend the night by myself sometimes and just cry. We sold it later and the people who bought it remodeled it and made it very much their own. It has been a healing experience to drive by and see that it is not my house, where I grew up any more.

Nina

I can't stand to look at travel trailers. Dave and I loved taking ours places. I guess I'm lucky because moving right after he died forced me to sell off a bunch of this stuff and I was so immersed in just getting moved I didn't have time to dwell on it.

We had a boat, too (living on a river) and I really am going to miss going out on that boat with him, although he rarely felt well enough to pilot it and we only went out a few times in his last few years.

You know Peggy, I think it's pretty nice that motorcycle is going to someone in your family that will love it and take care of it. That is nice. But it's still hard.

Moving, without a doubt, was the best thing for Faith and I for alot of these reasons.

Karen

Dear Peggy,

I am so sorry you had to go through another step of letting go. I know it's hard as I lost a husband once and very suddenly.

I am sure also that you're Brother is honered to have Don's bike and will always remember him when riding it. My love to you my friend.

God Bless,

Jane

Peggy, Your post was so touching. It is so hard to give part of your husbands things away. The one good thing is it is going to someone who knows the connection and appreciates what that Bike meant. Mom still hasn't been able to give away any of Dads clothes and he will be gone one year in a few weeks... she is not ready and I strongly encourage her not to part with things until she is up to it. She will know when the time is right. I have one of his shirts hanging in my closet... for some reason, it gives me great comfort to see it there when I get dressed every morning.... silly? maybe....but its like my security blanket. Please know that I am praying for you and your family.

Peggy,

Although I can't say what it is like to lose a spouse I did lose my Dad and helping Mom to remove his things from the house was really hard. Mom has decided in the Spring she is selling their house. Although I understand the reasoning behind it (it is just Mom in a 5 bedroom house) that is where the memories of Dad are (and also in my heart). When I go there it is as if I can feel Dad's presence and see him sitting in his chair. I am so sorry you are having a sad day but, I totally understand. Keeping you in my prayers for better days ahead.

Jean