quiz... where you are from/worked for me

Maryanne

My answer was: The Inland North

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

--- Oh boy are my roots showing! They nailed me.

Thanks Maryann -- that was fun, despite the fact that people from this area do talk the right way! (I do pronouce sausage like sawsage, not the weird Chicago way. LOL) :D:D:D

Wow, amazing Maryanne! Nailed my accent!

Your Result: The Northeast

Judging by how you talk you are probably from north Jersey, New York City, Connecticut or Rhode Island. Chances are, if you are from New York City (and not those other places) people would probably be able to tell if they actually heard you speak.

"Judging by how you talk you are probably from north Jersey, New York City, Connecticut or Rhode Island. Chances are, if you are from New York City (and not those other places) people would probably be able to tell if they actually heard you speak."

So true. If you heard me speak you'd say, "You're from Brooklyn, right?" No, I'm from Queens originally, but the accent is quite strong.

Well you can take the girl out of Boston but you can't take the Boston accent out of the girl!

Donna G

PS to Geri. They say that we from Boston speak like somewhere in England. ( They setttled the colony)

It's "the South" for me, which I guess makes sense since I grew up in Texas -- though after a few years in the Air Force most people thought I was from some anonymous place in the Midwest. Today when I watch the network news I swear I talk just like one of those accent-neutral announcers, but whenever I hear a recording of myself that subtle southern drawl is very apparent!

That was a very good test. Aloha,

Ned

I never need a test like that to show my true colors. I order from a catalog and they ask address? I give them my street name and they say, "and where in NY is that?" I respond, how did you know I'm in NY, they just laugh. Hummmmmmmmm

True story, 30 yrs. ago I was working in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. an EMT comes into the ER and asks , "are you Marry?" I sais no, and smiled , he frowned and walked away. Turns out he wanted to know if I was Mary, and wanted to ask me out:(. Yet another one that got away!!

Great fun, Mary

It pegged me as Philly as the cheese steak. I have probably taken this test three times and it keeps saying philly. I grew up in the coal region, and I KNOW that I sounded different, cause when I went to college, people were like where the he** are you from. But I guess 4 years in Allentown with 90% philly kids at my school, and 10 years living in the suburbs have gotten the better of me. Hey, who doesn't like a good cheese steak. American with please.

got me too, midland, and i'm from PA. though i like how that one says "just another way of saying you don't have an accent". in the words of my brother, people take classes to learn to speak like us. :) our mother was canadian and our father from pittsburgh (which has a HORRIBLE native accent by the way) and we joke that they cancelled out and we kids really don't have much of an accent at all. we sure don't speak like a native of the burgh, though i can do a good impression of it! when i moved to mississippi to do my PhD work i was the big mystery - where are you from, i heard all the time. even the northern folks couldn't quite peg me.

only one who has heard it can really understand. :) it is, to me anyway, the worst one out there. though great love for my hometown, i'd go back in a heartbeat if i could find a job there! when i would 'do' a burgh accent in mississippi, they all thought i was making it up. then an episode of "cops" aired and a few of them saw it, it was filmed in pittsburgh, and they all came in saying - oh my gosh, you weren't kidding!! very funny!