Lung cancer survivor with GREAT news!

Nana Jane

I am so very happy to bring hopeful good news to you all. I was diagnosed with Stage IV non-small cell lung cancer in July 2004, at the age of 65...never a smoker, no family history, no risk factors. One of those unfortunate statistics. With disease already spread into my bones, I was sure I was looking at a very short life span. My heart was broken, as I still have so much more living to do. I'm a cancer research nurse, and the irony and injustice of the diagnosis overwhelmed me. I don't know why I thought I was so special that I would be exempt from cancer. Wow! have I ever learned from the cancer master! No one is exempt, and we are all special in our own being. And we need each other to get through the dark and frightening times. You all have supported me by sharing your experiences and encouraging me. So now I want to share my good news. After surgery, six months of chemotherapy and 8 weeks on Iressa, I had restaging PET and CT scans done last week, and (miracle of miracles) there was no evidence of disease ANYWHERE in my body. I can hardly believe it, and I'm overjoyed. I will remain on Iressa, as my doctors believe it is what put me into remission and hopefully will hold me there for a good long while. Deep in my heart, I don't believe I'll ever be able to not worry about recurrence, but that's what we all live with, isn't it? And I've learned there are no guarantees in this life, so I will live strong now in the present. (Except I did allow myself to project a future far enough to schedule a trip to France in May, something that's been on my list of "Things I want to do before I die." I'm paying more attention to that list these days.

While I don't consider myself to be a religious person, I am deeply spiritual and believe in a power greater than myself (and greater than great medicine) that guides and strengthens me, and has shown me how to open to love and caring that is so abundant in the universe. I wish for all of you that you will be touched in the same way, and in the process you will be healed. So be it, and blessed be. Jane

Thank You, Thank You! What a great story and an inspiration!

Our newcommers need to see HOPE written in black and white.. we need to see that this is a battle that can be fought and won! You got any room in that suitcase for Nantes? (I have heard that the wine is good there...let's kidnap GinnyDe)

Congratulations!

Cindi o'h

Hi Jane - What wonderful news to have gotten. Congratulations! It's all an inspiration for me when I read of positive results.

Since you're an oncology research nurse maybe you can shed a little light on something for me. My husband's latest C-scan showed a "thickening of the adrenal gland" so an MRI was completed on Monday. The dr. was not overly concerned. His blood work was perfect and there was evidence of anything in the lungs or spine. Does the thickening most often indicates malignancy or is possible that it's nothing. If cancer is found in the adrenal is chemo or radiation usually used or do the oncs. just watch it?

We haven't gotten the results. His next appointment with cancer centre is March 16. However, we'll know if there's something awry should we receive a call to go in sooner I think.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Here's to having a wonderful spring break!!!!

Janet

Jane what an inspirational story. Your story and the countless other stories of survivors show that with the right attitude and medical help this disease can truly be tamed. Congratulations, and enjoy your trip to Europe. My experience has also taught me the importance of living your life to the fullest.

Janet, you asked about thickening of the adrenal gland. I'm really not qualified to make diagnoses...that's the realm of the doctors. But I do know that NSCLC can metastasize to the adrenal glands. Thickening in and of itself isn't necessarily diagnostic; it bears watching. I think we all are pros at imagining the worst possible scenarios when we have troubling information...it can make us crazy! I encourage you to trust your doctors, and be guided by your intuition. If something you're being told just doesn't seem right, question, question, question! I don't mean to be evasive; my expertise in lung cancer comes from personal experience. My specialty area of practice is in prostate cancer research (not a whole lot of help, is it?).

I appreciate the good wishes and expressions of caring from everyone. It is wonderful to bring a message of hope.

Thank you for sharing the the gift , you received. When I first got my DX all I could think of was it all being removed, surgery etc. Now, I just strive to hear NED, love that I am stable, and grateful. But....until I hear NED, well you understand... So glad you reminded all of us IT DOES HAPPEN...... Blessings for a forever of remission....

• 1 month later...