New Primary VS Mets

Fay A.

As difficult and unsettling as it may be, news that a tumor is a New Primary as opposed to a Met from the orginal cancer is actually good news.

My latest cancer is a new primary, and a different form of cancer than previous tumors. From a treatment perspective this is very good news. It means that the treatment I've been receiving for the BAC is working on that form of cancer. Because the new tumor is a more aggressive form it will most likely be more susceptible to the conventional chemo drugs that had no effect on the BAC (BAC does not respond as well to conventional chemotherapy drugs because it is (usually) indolent).

So, though no one is going to say it is a lucky thing to have two types of cancer, they will have to admit that I have been very lucky in that (so far) the things I've tried to prolong my life have worked...and rather well, I think, because I'm still alive.

This month I will celebrate my 51st birthday...this will be the 7th birthday celebration since my diagnosis. I plan on partying this time around. Don't know if you folks remember, but I celebrated my 50th birthday having a colonoscopy! What a bummer! LOL

Anyway, I just want you folks to know how much I appreciate the emotional support and the information you all choose to share on this site. I've learned so much about how to live with the disease, the treatments, the side effects, from those who choose to share their experiences. You're all a pretty impressive group.

Fay.

I agree. New cancer better than a met. I get it.

Always something to be positive about when we look. I admire you for doing just that. We all have a choice in how we react to anything that gets thrown our way.

I do like the choices you make!

I think you are a leader in your optimistic attitude for the rest of us here at LCSC.. thank you so much for being here for all of us, Fay!!!

love, Cindi o'h

Fay,

I'm having the colonoscopy next month to rule out cancer of the colon.

I totally agree with you that a new primary is actually good news.

I asked my doctor about this and he said a new primary could most likely be cured where as a met moves you to stage 4 because it means the lung cancer has spread, so yes, there is a huge difference.

You still have every chance of cure

Praying for you, sorry you have to start this all over again

Kathy

Fay,

There's a very good reason that you are coming up on your 7th anniversary celebration... Your positive attitude is what keeps you going. Thank you for being such an inspiration to all of us . You have my prayers for success in beating this new finding, as well as , the rest.

Love and prayers,

Sue

Fay,

I just have to smile at what constitues good news sometimes. Isn't life strange?? Do I say congratulations on your New Primary. I don't think so; something doesn't sound right. But I do know you're a great responder and you with your fantastic attitude, you will beat this one too. You know we're all sending our prayers out to you too.

gail p-m

Fay: so I guess you are always the optimist. Your relatively good news makes me think about my second cancer, which apparently was actually a new primary. It was morphologically different than my first cancer. Take your good news and enjoy your soon to be birthday.

Don M

I'm thankful just for the opportunity to 'rub elbows' with you here in the online world, Fay. You keep us honest, keep us positive, keep us on our toes, and you are one heck of a fighter. I gotta say I'm glad we're on the same side! ;)

Have a MARVELOUS 51st birthday and then go on having LOTS MORE MARVELOUS birthdays!

Fay,

I totally understand the significance of new primary vs. recurrence. This is really good news for you.

I too will be having a birthday this month...the big 5-0 for me this year complete with a colonoscopy scheduled for the end of the month. Mine is the 10th, what's yours?

This birthday for me marks 4.5 years of survival post-breast cancer, and nearly 2.5 years of survival from the lung tumor. Working hard to turn those into double didgets and then some....

Good luck with your new treatment plan and recovery from surgery...

Cindy

unsettling, yes. but Fay, you are THE example of fight and perseverance here. I hope and trust the docs will have a good plan for the new cancer, and that Tarceva will continue to work for the BAC.

you are in my thoughts more than you can possibly know.

xoxo

bunny