taking my mom off machines

well we made the decision last nite to take mom off the breathing machine and to stop all treatments and to do no more tests to see if cancer has spread more than thought before. Mom has been unresponsive since Sun night. I feel that she has already moved on to her eternal place and that by prolonging the inevitable we are dishonering her. in the hundreds of hours i have spent with her over the last 4 months she has told me that she doent want to be kept alive on machines and such. That when its "her time to see the Lord" then shell be ready to meet him. My dad had a tough time making the final decision but he knows it the right thing to do for her. I have the strangest feeling of peace.(maybe im just numb) This has been the most difficult 4 months of my whole life and I can only hope that something good will come of it. The doctor said that it could be hours or days, there is no way of knowing how long but that she will not be in pain and she wont suffer. Im kinda lost as to how to make arangements for the funeral but then again here is a chance to learn something and see a part of life that I have never had to deal with. I will say it till my last day CANCER SUCKS!

We had to make the same choice with my mom over stomach cancer. It is hard to do but I feel its the only choice that makes sense. Mom said she did not want to be on machines and after 2 days we decided she was not going to come off the machine and unplugged it. I am sorry you had to go through the same thing. I know how hard it is to do.

Nina

For those of us who remain after a loved one passes away it isnt easy. But for the loved one, knowing of their place in Heaven, it is a beautiful thing. I am so greatfyl that there is peace in that for you and your family. It will comfort you.

This poem always brings me peace in times like these.

I am standing on the seashore.

A ship spreads her white sails to the morning breeze and starts for the ocean. She is an object of beauty and I stand watching her until she fades on the horizon,

and someone at my side quietly says,

"She is gone."

Gone where?

The loss of sight is in me, not in her.

Just at the moment when someone says,

"She is gone,"

there are others who are watching her coming.

Other voices take up the joyful shout,

"Here she comes!!"

Heaven is a most GLORIOUS place!!

God bless and comfort you and your family.

Beat it!!

I'm sorry this is such a tough time for you. My mom has expressed the same desire to us. Fortunately she has an advance directive and living will on file with her dfr., hospital, and anyone else who will take one. She doesn't want us to have to make those decisions, even though we know it is what she wants.

Lots of prayers going out for you.

Kelly

Crystal,

Your family has certainly shown great love and courage in making the very difficult decision to discontinue artificial mechanical ventilation and other heroic measures to prolong your dear mother's life. I am in awe of your strength and courage! I am keeping you and your family in my prayers that God will give your mom and you all peace and comfort in the days and weeks to come.

God Bless,

Sharon

I was just thinking about you and I saw the post. I am sooooo sorry. I can tell you that you do feel a sense of peace when they shout those machines off. When the nurse shut my mom's oxygen tanks off I wanted to throw them out the window. Try to be strong the next few days are really going to drain you. I wont lie to you it's probably the hardest thing you will ever have to face.

Cancer does SUCK!!!!!!!!!!

Martha